1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Modding Tutorials

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

No, It's all white, even when I click on the arrow on the right. I think that you have to Open something besides "iPod Updater 2005-11-17" in the "open updater" section, I'm just not sure what.

2. jasonyhap

jasonyhap Member

I'm sure its set to updater in "edit mode" and if it is i really don't know what to say..maybe one of the more experienced gurus might be able to help..

3. jasonyhap

jasonyhap Member

sorry i can't help..:(

4. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Okay, thanks for trying!

5. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

jazo123-

Just do a search of your HDD for "2005-11-17" and it will come up. If it doesn't, re-download it.

6. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Okay, thanks.

7. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Okay, I do a search and I found it, under an iPod folder. I go into iPod Wizard and I found it, under that same iPod folder. I click on it and press open and nothing happens. I exit that to see if it did something and I still can't choose the firmware or nothing. Any Suggestions? Thanks!

8. Lethal_B

When you locate the firmware, you have to "left-click" it once, this will select it, then it will open with iPodWizard.

9. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Check your PM's when you get a chance Lethal :)

10. Lethal_B

DJ - I want to make a few minor modifications to that theme before I send it to you, as when I played the games on it today, I noticed a few minor imperfections ;-)

11. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Always shooting for perfection eh?

12. Lethal_B

Of Course, Buddy! ;-)

Ok, Here's more basic modding for newbies.

[bold]CHANGING THE FONTS[/bold]

To part two of the endless modding tutorial, and here, I shall show ye great newbies how to change the font of your 5g iPod in 6 simple steps..

[bold]ONCE AGAIN, YOU WILL NEED[/bold]

For this part of the tutorial, you'll need;

<1> A Fifth Gen iPod (iPod Video)
    <2> iPodWizard. The latest version is v1.2, and the download can be found through this link - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153441
    <3> iPod Firmware/Updater. I recommend you guys use version 1.0, as it is the most stable. The download of iPod Updater 2005-11-17 v1.0 can be found here - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y44N4BER
    <4> iHack - http://www.ipodwizard.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3392&d=1127255814

[bold]NOW TO BEGIN..[/bold]

<1> Extract and load your iPodWizard Software.

<2> Click [bold]"Open Updater"[/bold]
    [​IMG]

<3> Load the iPod Updater that your just downloaded. I recommend v1.0 (2005-11-17), but it should work with any other Updater.

<4> Under the "Firmware" menu, select your 5g iPod.
    [​IMG]
    Once you have done that, click "Load".

[bold]CHANGING THE FONTS[/bold]

Click on the [bold]Fonts[/bold] tab
    [​IMG]

After you have done that, click 'OTF FONTS'
    [​IMG]

Now, change your index to [bold]4[/bold]
    [​IMG]

Now, click [bold]Make Font[/bold]. You can choose from any of the fonts in the 'font' menu.
    [​IMG]

You can experiment here, but from what I have gathered through trial & error, you are best off keeping the writing [bold]Regular[/bold], and @ size [bold]18[/bold]. Once you have finally decided, click [bold]OK[/bold].

You will now notice that your chosen font has been incorporated into the index of fonts, like so..
    [​IMG]

As you may notice, I have chosen [bold]Comic SANS MS[/bold], but you can choose any style of font you desire.

Once you are done, you are ready to write them to ye iPod.

Click "Write" which is located at the very top in the center.
    [​IMG]

Once the confirmation that the changes you implemented were sucessfully written onto the updater, You can exit iPodWizard.

[bold]TRANSFER FONTS TO IPOD[/bold]

All you have left to do, is simply connect your iPod to your PC and use the "Restore" feature on the Updater to rewrite the firmware with the modified version.

However, if you don’t want to "Restore" your iPod (Which deletes all content), You will have to patch the Updater with [bold]iHack[/bold]

iHack will set the iPod’s firmware version a small amount below its current level before you run the iPod Software Updater, re-enabling the "Update" button. Open iHack (you will find it at C:/Program Files/iHack/ by default), and click the "Patch..." button while your iPod is connected to your PC and the [bold]disk mode[/bold] feature is enabled. Select your iPod’s drive letter, and iHack will do the rest. Now click the "Update" button, and you will have successfully changed the fonts on your iPod.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  13. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Very nice....why not add this to the original post?

14. Lethal_B

Because if the whole thing is in one long tutorial, it can get very messy, disorganized, and intimidating to read. This is a step by step, so I intend to post each step one @ a time ;)

15. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Okay, that makes sense. Nice work!

16. Lethal_B

Are ye following, jazo. This is only basic fontmodding, but it looks great on the iPod!

Later I'll show you guys how to import custom fonts..

17. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

I'm still trying to do the Red tribal theme, but this is all great, I'm sure it is easier than I'm making it.

I pressed open when I selected the firmware then it said "Unable to open file code=126"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2006
  18. Lethal_B

Try downloading 1.1.1, as I have tried it with that firmware & had no problems at all. There are no video playback issues to report thus far, and the volume control utility is totally optional.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  19. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Ok I will do that, then.

20. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

I did it and now it's working. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.