1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter, split into chapters?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tomraffe, Apr 12, 2006.

1. tomraffe

tomraffe Member

I want to convert a music DVD into MP4 to go onto my iPod. I've got the converter software and am using DVD Decryter to rip the DVD onto my PC.

The DVD seperates songs into chapters. I would like each chapter as an individual video. Is there a way that DVD decryter, or any other software can do this?

2. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi,

You can try to use dvd decrypter in IFO mode..then convert each file individually ro a seperate folder and there are your individual videos.

3. tomraffe

tomraffe Member

I am using IFO mode, but it just creates one VB file. Are my settings wrong?

4. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Change your settings to split into 1gb files then each individual video will show as a large file in between your bup and miscellaneous files.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  5. tomraffe

tomraffe Member

So they will be split into 1gb files rather than chapters? Chapters would be better.

6. matt72

matt72 Regular member

How many videos are you trying to convert?

The one thing you should look at is just because your videos are seperated by chapters does not mean each vob will only consist of one video. A backup split using dvd decrypter by 1gig might have 3 or 4 videos (taking into account the menus, trailers, FBI warnings, etc) therefore you would have to edit each vob to extract and seperate each video). Also if you are talking music videos those are nowhere near the size of a vob. Without getting too technical let me suggest another and free option:
    Okay to make things easier you can use dvd shrink in re-author mode, using that program you can view which files you want to backup before you actually start (there is a small viewing window in the lower lefthand corner where the video can be seen). I would suggest saving each video as an individual file. http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/software.htm refer to the link for tutorials as it will be easier for you to see step by step what you need to do.

7. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

If the video are already separated into chapters you simply check the chapter(s) you want to rip (uncheck the rest) and rip them one at a time. Set file splitting to none just in case.

If they are split by PGC, then set file splitting to none and just rip the PGCs one at a time.

If you want to edit them, you should demux the VOBs into Elementary streams (.m2v & .ac3). This way you can convert the files into whatever format the iPod needs. You would use Besweet for the audio and some video encoder for the video. I do not know IPod's format, but I am sure that there are some free ones out there.

8. jasonyhap

jasonyhap Member

I used SHRINK to copy individual songs from dvds to use on my ipod.
    This is what i did:
    1.opened the disk i shrink
    2.selected the reauthor Tab
    3.draged the main title over to the left where it said dvd structure
    4.clicked on the butoon which shows two arrows which points in different directions (set start/end frames)
    5.when opened you drag the pointer at the top where you want the title start and at the bottom you move the meter where you want it to stop.
    6.when finish back up your file as a vob file and repeat process to select another part of the title.

hope that was of some help as it was to me.

9. tomraffe

tomraffe Member

Thanks for all the info. I selected individual chapters in IFO mode in DVD decrypter to create individual VB files.

I then used Videora iPod convertor to convert these files into compressed MP4 files to play on my iPod.

Job done!

10. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@tomraffe,

Several ways to do it..all suggestions would have worked either way. Remember there are always alternate methods and you have to see which 1 works best for you. One thing I forgot to add is the guides are simply a reference you can print out..as you get more into video editing...you will already have the basics :).