1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Softmod ISO available

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by shademand, May 6, 2006.

1. shademand

shademand Regular member

Sorry in my setup the F & G drives are turned off just go into Evox system settings and toggle on the F drive, that should do it.

2. bakkaken

bakkaken Member

Alright then, i will have a go later, thanks mate!

3. bakkaken

bakkaken Member

Hi Shademand, i just chose "yes" for using F & G drive but it still cannot any games in the hard drive.

4. shademand

shademand Regular member

Use the Config Magic app to reconfigure your HDD that should fix it.

5. emtUD

emtUD Member

Is anyone able to seed the torrent? Or is there another place to download the ISO? My friend botched my original HD in a softmod attempt, and I think dropping this on the new (bigger) HD I had intended to put in might be the only way to salvage the box without trying to return it or put a chip in. Thanks!

6. emtUD

emtUD Member

Oh, I downloaded the torrent from TorrentSpy - are there different announce URLs for the other two sites, or is it the same?

7. Hazrdous

Hazrdous Member

HI can you please make a tutorial on how to use it and what it is exactly used for?

8. bakkaken

bakkaken Member

Hi Shademand, do you know the reason why i clicked on the xbox dashboard icon within XBMC and it just went black and freezed?

9. shademand

shademand Regular member

@Hazrdous, there must be a million softmod tutorials, many within this very forum; no sense of me re-inventing the wheel. If you are unsure of how to use the ISO then I would suggest to you that you not use it until you have done a little research on your own about softmodding.

@bakkaken, must be the XBMC's XML file just edit the file to ensure that it is triggering the evoxdash.xbe file, or just use the file manager view to get back to the dash by selecting the evoxdash.xbe file in the C folder.

10. bakkaken

bakkaken Member

Hi Shademand, i followed the method fr xboxmediacenter.com to make XBMC as my dashboard and renamed the default.xbe fr XBMC to evodash.xbe. So, do i need to re-make evox as my xbox dashboard in order to edit the xbmc's xml files?

11. shademand

shademand Regular member

I guess my question here would be if you made the XBMC your main dash and you were within that dash why are you selecting the goto dash option? Next, are you asking how to make Evox your main dash?

You have 3 Options when it comes to changing your main dash: Option 1, the easiest use XBTool and reconfigure your default.xbe file. Option 2, edit the dashboard's INI or XML file so that you trigger the dash that you want. Option 3, setup your main dashboard like Slayer's does so that all other dashes are selected from the Apps menu.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  12. emtUD

emtUD Member

Ok, so I got the torrent, did a bunch of stuff, and now I'm stuck on Error 6. This is an improvement over where I was, though (I think).

Story so far - bought brand new XBox & 500GB Seagate HD, gave to a friend to softmod. Softmod failed, to the point where it did the flubber, but then just a few colored lines (no error code or anything) on a black screen. No dice getting it to load a game disc/AR memory card. The 500GB drive was still untouched.

I managed to download your ISO, along with xboxhdm, and used the C and E folders from your ISO to make the xboxhdm linux ISO. The eeprom I managed to pull off the shot stock HD by hooking it up to my computer and reading it with Liveinfo, and using Liveinfo to save the eeprom to a bin (dropping it in the xboxhdm/linux/eeprom folder as told by some tutorial - maybe yours, maybe not?).

So I had the xboxhdm ISO disc burned with the C & E folders off your ready-made ISO, plus the eeprom pulled from the stock HD. I used xboxhdm to make and then lock the 500GB HD, and now I'm getting Error 06 (which I see from various tutorials means the box can't unlock the drive).

Some extra info that might help (?) - when I check the drive's status with xboxhdm after locking it (and xboxhdm claims the lock was successful), it still says Security Locked - No. Something right above it (Security Enabled?) changes from no to yes after the locking process. I can still freely lock and unlock the drive with xboxhdm. Also, when I went back and double-checked the HD Keys of the two drives, I noticed that they're different, even though I *thought* I was using the eeprom from the original drive to lock the new HD. Even when I manually enter the HD Key from the original HD to lock the new one, I still get Error 06.

Any ideas????? I'd really, really appreciate any help anyone can offer, even if it's just pointing me in the direction of a useful guide/post thread on this problem...

13. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

emtUD, I'm unfamiliar with your method of getting the eeprom.bin off the hard drive. The only way I've ever known how to get the eeprom.bin is to run a program on the xbox (either the Evox dashboard's backup feature or the ltools gamesave exploit kit's backup feature). When I'm installing new drives, I usually mod the small drive first, run Evox's backup feature, and grab the eeprom.bin off the xbox via FTP.

Anyway, I'll assume you do have the correct eeprom.bin for your xbox (it really should be independent of your hard drive as the same eeprom.bin can be used to password protect any drive and have it work correctly).

Security locked should be off. I'm pretty sure that's just like a lockout for when you try to use the wrong key to unlock the drive or something, but I don't know. I just know it's not supposed to be on.

The lock keys for the original drive and for the new drive should be different, as they are generated based on the eeprom.bin file and some parameters from the hard drive in question. You would definately get error 06 if you locked the 500GB with the small drive's key.

I recommend, if it's possible, that you get your original drive working in the xbox and backup the eeprom with a Evox or some other program capable of doing it, then using the linux locking/unlocking tools in xboxhdm, lock your big drive(using the command "lockhd -a" while the eeprom.bin is in the eeprom folder).

I hope that helped somewhat. If I was unclear on something, let me know. Also, if you extracted the eeprom.bin from the hard drive purely using the drive and a computer and it worked (and the eeprom.bin file didn't just already exist on the drive as backed up by a program), please let me know exactly how you did it. That would be awesome to know with all the boxes I mod. Additionally, if you're having problems getting all 500GBs to be usable, I know how to handle that as well.

I'd also like to add a quick bit, considering the creator of this mod package seems to not have any knowledge of such things as hot-swapping the hard drive and/or using xboxhdm for direct access to its contents, that the aforementioned is possible instead of being required to have ftp access. I used to use a memcard to usb adapter, mechassault, and some sort of usb memory (a digital camera or thumb drive or something) to do all my modding. Once my mechassault copy got too badly scratched, I found out there was a much better way to do things. Now that I use the hotswap method and xboxhdm, I only need an xbox, a tv, and computer to do my modding. Pulling the ribbon cable from a plugged in hard drive and replacing it with another one may seem risky at first, but I've done it at least 30 times with no broken equipment yet.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  14. emtUD

emtUD Member

Magotchi - thanks for the info. I did eventually manage to get the original stock HD working with EvoX. I used the hotswap method to unlock the drive, and then used xboxhdm to restore it with the C folder from Shademand's ISO. As soon as I get home from work today, I'm going to do the backup and then grab the eeprom, since I was able to FTP in with FlashFXP (smartFTP didn't work). I'm fairly certain that it's clear sailing from here to get the larger drive working, now that the original drive is fixed.

I think the problem may be that I never actually got the eeprom from the original drive, especially since it was locked. But here's the detail on what I did to get the info I got -

I plugged the stock HD into my computer, then booted up into WinXP Pro. WinXP didn't find the drive, but I ran the program Liveinfo (obtained from the usual places), and it was able to detect the xbox drive. I was able to verify this because it displayed the drive's model & serial numbers correctly. I clicked the "save as .bin" button, and used the eeprom.bin file it generated.

I suppose the most likely explanation for why this didn't work is that Liveinfo wasn't able to get all the information it needed from the locked xbox drive, but I don't understand eeproms well enough to explain why Liveinfo could display the version number, XBE region, Confounder, HDD Serial, HDD Model, and HDD Locking Password without being able to make the eeprom.bin correctly.

Anyway, I'll post again this evening to let everyone know if I manage to get the big HD working.

15. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

I hate to tell you this, but I don't think this will work as is with your 500GB drive (at least you won't get more than 137GB). nkpatcher can't get past that limit and that's the method used here to patch the kernel (as opposed to a bios loader like PBL or something like that which replaces it). At the time of my last post, I hadn't finished downloading and using the package yet, so I couldn't have told you that. If you have a version 1.6 xbox, I don't really know how to get you to where you can access the whole drive. If you do not have a 1.6, I know a way that will work (I'd have to give you some files and stuff), but there is probably a better way. I just don't know the correct way to install a BIOS loader manually. If you do have a 1.6, I believe you need to install the Metoo edition of PBL for it to work correctly (something about the file size of the other one being too big for a 1.6 or something gay like that), but as I said before, I don't know how to correctly install a bios loader.

16. emtUD

emtUD Member

The adventures continue...

Shademand, this may be an issue with your installer that you need to check or it may be an issue with my box/HD. I finally got into the stock HD with a hotswap, dumped the eeprom, etc etc, xboxhdm with the C/E drives from your ISO & the dumped eeprom, made the big HD, locked it, worked perfectly. Booted into EvoX, no problems.

Except I couldn't play any games. Tried legit Xbox DVD games, tried FTPed copies, it just wouldn't play them. All the apps worked fine - DVD2XBOX copied Forza for me, the DVD player worked like a charm with playing Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, etc etc, but no gameplay. Also, I VERY quickly ran out of storage space, and maybe that's what Magotchi was talking about, but since it cut me off after only two games, I can't imagine it even got close to 137 GB.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  17. shademand

shademand Regular member

I think its both an issue w/ your HD and the fact that the folders were compiled to work w/ smaller HDs.

18. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

I don't know about the no gameplay thing. As far as the running out of space quickly goes, are you copying your games to the E drive letter with dvd2xbox or to the F drive letter. Dvd2xbox, or at least older versions of it don't have use of the F partition enabled by default. You have to go into it's options and enable it. Evox also may or may not have it enabled by default in his package. When you prepare a drive with xboxhdm, you make several partitions on the drive. The C, E, X, Y, and Z partitions are always (I believe) the same sizes regardless of the size of your hard drive. The F (and possibly G if you choose to gayly set it up that way) partitions are where the rest of the space goes.

As far as games not working, I don't exactly know why they won't. I have had problems with specific games, although I know my brother has successfully ripped Forza with dvd2xbox and plays it regularly.

19. Hazrdous

Hazrdous Member

@ Shade
    Didn't need the ISO, I used the Auto Installer 4 Deluxe. Works perfectly.

20. JRoyle

JRoyle Member

I just installed this softmod using xboxhdm onto a 250GB hard drive. Everything worked fine, except for I can't use my G drive. I enabled it in Evox's setup menu, and the F drive works fine. What am I supposed to do to get my G drive working, does it have to be formatted? Any help is greatly appreciated.