1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get in bios settings of Sun Ultra 5 workstation

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by TheReturn, Jun 29, 2006.

1. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I have Sun terminal computer. When I turn it on and press all the key: Del, Esc, F1-F12, but still I can't get into bios settings.

I want to install Sun Solaris 10 into this PC. I have 4 disks for Sun Solaris. The problem is the computer does boot CD drive at turn on. That is why I want to get in bios settings.

This is what I see when I turn on Sun computer:

I cant do anything with this computer unless I have to install Sun Solaris workstation 10.

2. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

3. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

you just need to hit "STOP A" as soon as the boot screen starts to display info, ie hit "STOP" key and "A" key. this halts the boot process and gives you the "OK" prompt. Then simply type "boot cdrom" and off you go..

real nice workstation by the way, i've got one at work just sat on the floor unused, been using it 6yrs and would love to keep it for myself

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Thank Creaky

Is there anyway to stop the it from looking for a server? Or is there anyway for me to get in to window or command line?

I try to keep this Sun OS because it is 64bit.

Can you compare this existing Sun OS and Sun Solaris 10?

Can you give me some suggestions?

6. creaky

no worries.
    when you say looking for a server, what exactly do you mean ?.

as to Solaris 10, no haven't used it yet. Our business doesn't upgrade Solaris too frequently as our upgrades are determined by our Billing System requirements. We're still running on Solaris 8 for the bulk of our systems, with a few on Solaris 9 (same difference as 8 pretty much, hence why we use it). Have been doing Solaris for 6yrs now for a living, have also used Solaris 6 & 7. All four versions are pretty much the same to me, though i hear Solaris 10 is a much different beast, something about the OS being split into 'containers' or something. Solaris for Intel is nice too, have used a few versions of those too.

Any reason for going to version 10, or is it just cus it's new ?, i must get around to installing it somewhere sometime.

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

This is what I mean:

SunW, hmeo: link down - cable problem?

When I turn on, and it says this at all the time. It keeps looking for a server. But I dont have a server. So how do you stop this message and lood into OS.

8. creaky

a-ha, that's the main hme0 network interface. it's simply moaning that it's not connected; system maybe set to 'boot net' ie bot from the network. try the Stop A thing again and at the OK prompt type 'boot disk'. if that doesn't work try 'printenv' which gives all the various settings. look for the boot ones and paste them here; i'll try and think of other relevant settings we need to know.

(hme interface is also known as 'happy meal' - "Actually, it's a Sun engineer joke. The 10 Mbps predecessor was a chip called the "Big MAC Ethernet" -- in this case, it was a mere pun, since MAC stands for Media Access Control, i.e. the Ethernet data-link layer. When they designed the 10/100Mbps chip later on, they decided to turn the pun into a full-out joke, and they called it the "Happy Meal Ethernet."

On a Solaris machine, the interfaces are named by the driver type, so instead of "eth0" you'll see something like "hme0" instead.")

9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

lol for the joke.
    Thank you for your info.

I will look into it and will let you know.

10. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Yes those messages are from the hdd.

When I try "printenv", here are the list:

Variable Name / Value / Default Value

boot-command / boot / boot
    auto-boot / true / true
    boot-file /
    boot-device/ disk net / disk net