1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no color from dvd player

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by falconone, Jul 6, 2006.

1. falconone

falconone Member

Help,

I have a 37 inch Olevia LCD tv that I have been vary happy with. I run a Toshiba DVD player to it with componant hook up. Suddenly all my DVD's play in Black and white only. I have tried several other players with same result. HD signal works fine. Olevia Tech support leaves me for dead.Any clues ?

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Did you turn on the Component Video outputs? Does the Yellow Composite video output work ok?

Most Toshiba DVD players (and some others) require that the Component video output be switched on via the menu (OSD). Simply go to menu -> Video -> Output (or somthing) ans swithch component video on.

Ced

3. falconone

falconone Member

Yes, I did switch it on component and double checked it. I will check the composite vidio with an RCA cable. Good call.

4. falconone

falconone Member

Yellow composite cable works fine so it must be the component cables that are bad. I guess my only option is to replace the cables.

5. falconone

falconone Member

I bought a new set of componant cables and the dvd picure is still in black and white. Yellow composite does work fine.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Its almost never the cable that is bad unless the cable is very old. If your sure it is set up correctly then I think its time to exchange the player for a new one.

Its strange that the picture is black and white because that suggests that the Y or green connection is working properly but the Blue and Red arn't.

Ced

7. falconone

falconone Member

I finally got through to a tech at Olivia and solved the problem. The saturation setting in the menu was set to zero. After adjusting it is now fine. I am still not sure how this happened but the tech said my power must have surged and somehow my cable boxset screwed up the setting. He said I need to update the firmware for the box but I am not sure how to do it.I did not think to adjust the setting because everything but the componant imput from the DVD player was fine. I am getting a surge protecter just in case. Thanks to all for your input.