1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with cyberhome dvd recorder ( model dvr 1200 mu )

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by LilMiz, Jul 13, 2006.

1. LilMiz

LilMiz Member

Hi all! I am hoping someone here can help me. I have a cyberhome dvd recorder ( model dvr 1200 mu ). Each time I try to use a sony dvd+r disk in it..... I get an error message saying that it isn't a supported media type.

I have tried several different dvds in it from various cases. So I know all the disks can't be bad.

Has anyone had this happen? Did sony change their dvd+r disks?

The blank dvds are just the standard type of dvd+r disks. They are not double sides or dual layer or anything.

I am really at a loss at what to do.

Can anyone help? I tried calling their support number, but they said their phone support is no longer being offered.

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Had a 1200MU and it worked fine using +R/RW Verbatim, Memorex, Maxell
    Do you get the error message with disks, other than Sony.
    For many reasons I would not Purchase a Sony Product.
    However the disks , if + R/RW should work unless they were miss-labled or bum
    Try a different brand. If still a problem, and I assume you have used this before, You may have a dirty laser and requires cleaning. If in warrantee on not, check with the vender. If Mal Mart don't bother to explain. Exchange it

Edit
    What support # did you call

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  3. LilMiz

LilMiz Member

It is only with any sony dvd +r that is 1-16x speeds. ALl the other disks that are those speeds work just fine.

I called the cyberhome tech support. Their phone system said they are no longer offering phone tech support. I did take the cyberhome unit back to walmart. They no longer carry cyberhome or ilo dvd recorders, but I had a receipt and the machine was made in jan 06. So it still had 6 months of its 1 year warrenty.

Walmart just gave me in store credit( gift card ). So at least I can look around now for a better unit.

Thanks for the reply!

4. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

The Cyberhome 1200 is the same as a 1600 without the DV input [The electronics are there but No input connection]
    Its really a good machine. If you only had problems with the Sony 16x it may be that the machine does not recognize a 16x disk.
    I don't know about firmware upgrades for this unit but if the disks were 1x to 16x I should think it would recognize them, My three ilo 04 units will. The machine [mine included] is not any faster with 16x than 4X, its the nature of the machine.

Would it recognize another brand 16x?

I don't know what your doing but for better [Edit] merge, etc I would reccomend one with a hard drive

5. LilMiz

LilMiz Member

Yes it did recognize many other brands of 16x disks. I have an ilo 05mu unit as well. It won't recognize the sony disks either. But that one too will recognize other brands. I kept the ilo recorder until I can find a better one.

I really do love both the ilo and the cyberhome machines. But unfortunately my local stores only carry certain kinds of blank dvds. Sony 1-16x and verbatim ( forgot speed ) and memorex 1-16x. They used to have the sony 8x speed which gave great quality. But they no longer stock them anywhere here. I can use the verbatim and the memorex.... but the disks don't give as good of an image ( at least for these 2 machines ). I realize that the machine is limited by speed. So it isn't that I want it to work faster, I am just limited by the disks themselves.

Thanks again for the reply!

6. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

For Info
    The ilo 05mu is made be Cyberhome and is the same as the 1600mu.
    It does not suprise me that the Sony 16x disk will not work when other 16X do, Sony has become so ingrosed with copy prtection that many of there products do not work in many units
    I' suprised when you say that you get better results with Sony Disks than Verbatim. I've used Verbatim almost exclusivly, and had very good results. Many 18x disks will not run at 16x. The verbatim 16x will
    No offence but make sure you compare bit rate and source equally.

Personally I think the 05mu, [cyberhome 1600/1200] is a very good unit and hard to beat even at more money --- Keep the 05

If you use 16x or 4x disks, the machine will not operate any faster it's the nature of a standalone. The 05,04 or whatever

Good Luck

7. LilMiz

LilMiz Member

Oh I have compaired everything. verbatim isn't bad, but here the disks cost too much compaired to the sony and the fuji dvds. And since the quality it gives on these 2 machines isn't quite as good.... I tend to stay with sony. I did have a really great panasonic dvd recorder which the verbatim gave excellent quality. But with when I moved, I had a smaller area. So I had to go with a smaller unit.

I know there are about 4 or 5 different "name brands" of dvd recorders that share the same internal components. But each one is named different brands for different stores. Ilo is for walmart. I like cyberhome was walmart and ciruit city. There are a few other ones as well.
    Oh I know that. The machine was made with a set max speed. I believe the 05mu is about 4x. It doesn't matter how high of a speed a disk can go. The machine is limited to what is was built at. It is like my drive on my pc. I have a cd burner that has a max of 48x. But the cd has a speed of 52x. My pc drive can't take advantage of the speed increase.

It is just a pity that sony changed their dvd+r disks now. I guess I will have to retest all the other name brands out there to see which gives the next best quality.

8. asena67

asena67 Member

Hi, I have a cyberhome DVR 1200, but I can not see any movies, even if they are original I get the error "No Disc", does anybody knows how to fix this.

Thanks, Albert.

9. nomohoe

nomohoe Member

This was the exact reason I started looking here.
    I have the CH DVR 1200 MU, I have cleaned the optics and still have the same problem of getting the "no disk" error. Once in a while, after many open/close operations, it will occasionally figure out that there is a disk in the holder and deal with it appropriately.
    I tried going to http://www.cyberhome.com/ and get:
    Network Solutions: This site is under construction and coming soon. - not very encouraging.
    Any ideas?

J M
    http://classicmusclecars.com

10. MIKELANN

MIKELANN Member

HELLO I AM IN NEED OF HELP FOR MY CYBERHOME DVR-1200. SOME HOW THE PASSWORD HAS BEEN SET AND I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHIG SHORT OF THROWING IT OUT THE WINDOW. I AM ALSO MISSING MY INSTRUCTION MANUAL AND ONLY HAVE THE QUICK SETUP GUIDE WHICH IS NO HELP! HOW CAN I BYPASS THIS PASSWORD OR RESET IT I HAVE UNABLE TO GET THE FACTORY HELP! PLEASE CAN SOMEONE ASSIST ME WITH THIS DELIMMA? :'(

11. LilMiz

LilMiz Member

If you unplug it for a while and then plug it back in.... will it reset the system and allow you to be able to put a new password in?

I know I have had to do that once for a friend. It was a different machine though. Her kid did something which changed a password. So we unplugged it and left it for a few hours. Then plugged it back in. We had to reset the settings and the times- date.

12. carbol

carbol Member

I have a 1200 and I looked it up in my book and it said the factory password is 1369. Also Imation DVD+RW work good in mine and I've had pretty good luck with it so far. Hope this helps you out. Carol

13. aicsob

aicsob Member

Hello, I am having same issue with my dvr 1200. I keep getting no disc, and after I get it to accept the disc it still won't record because when the machine comes back on it gives no disc, if i leave machine on before the recording time it records but then when i try to watch I am told disc not reconnized do i want to format. well that then errases whats on the disc HELP

14. aicsob

aicsob Member

ALL I'LL EVER WANT IS A LITTLE MORE THAN I'LL EVER GET