1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy Guide to Playing SNES on the gamecube

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by brucedlx, Jul 31, 2006.

1. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

XMame is not so ez in that you have to compile linux for your gamecube (called GC Linux) and then run XMame through GC Linux. Quite a task, plus you can't play the later MAME games as they will lag no doubt, only the early simple ones.

2. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

if this works, mite have to go out and buy a damn GC for like 40 dollars cause this is sick. thanks for the guide.

3. attractor

attractor Member

Hi, i'm all new to this homebrew thing, just got my Gamecube done. I got the Duo Q chip. Will this SNES emulator work with the Duo Q?

4. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

the emu will work as long as your BIOS has a disc explorer or SDCard explorer tool so you can run the snesgx.dol file.

5. elmagono1

elmagono1 Member

Has anybody been able to play any N64 games on the Gamecube? If so how????

6. harryc88

harryc88 Guest

do i need max drive pro for this? if not can someone please explain how i boot them from the sd and the dvd. i'm not too sure how you execute all of this. please help

7. Itchy

Itchy Member

No you dont need the MaxDrive for it.
    You can also start it (for example) with the SDLoader program.
    If you have a SD Card Adapter and Action Replay...
    Just google for SnesGX or look at www.tehskeen.net.

8. harryc88

harryc88 Guest

k thanks for the help but could someone put up a guide on how to boot it? the on on the previous page wasn't too clear as i coulden't understand it.

9. koppit

koppit Member

If i had say, xenoGC, can I boot a cd with just the snes9x.dol and some roms? how would i accomplish this?

10. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

Just use the disc explorer tool and run the snes9x.dol file from your DVD. Then, load your ROMS off of DVD just as I showed in the video example and you are set.

11. koppit

koppit Member

is that included with xenoGC? or am I booting it from a cd somehow?

12. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

XenoGC is your modchip. Whatever BIOS you are using (whether it be GcoS, NinjaMOD, Viper or the XenoGC bios that came w/ your chip) should let you run .dol files off of your DVD. Just put the DVD w/ your roms and snes9x.dol in the gamecube and turn it on, and try to find the disc explorer tool and run snes9x.dol

If you can't understand those instructions than you are beyond help.

13. cjdevesa

cjdevesa Member

Saw this thread and was totally stoked about playing SNES and Nes games on my Cube. But I'm not sure if I have to a have a chiped cube to do this? I'm also not sure about step 6, or would that be obvious if I had a chiped.
    Thanks

14. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

you don't necessarily need a chipped cube, but you do need some way of being able to run .dol files (gamecube versions of .exe files) on your gamecube. This CAN be done through a modchip, MaxDrive Pro, BBA/PSO exploit etc. Usually, you need a BIOS (A gamecube operating system much like windows is for PC) to run the .dol file.

15. sabres

sabres Member

Hm, any updated versions of that SNES emulator? You said the sound on the one version you had a link for was kinda wacky.

Also, for XMAME working on GC Linux, would you need to buy any additional hardware if doing all this stuff via SD Card? Or is it all just doing junk on the computer.

16. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

The sound is NOT kinda wacky, in a FEW games, there may be a slight change in pitch, or a small tinny sound in the background, but you can certainly play with it. Even if they did update the emulator, I doubt that the sound would be a pressing concern. If you'd like to check, you are more than welcome. It is open source, so there are several coders working on it (or WERE several, last I checked) at www.tehskeen.com

As for GCLinux, yes, it's all junk that you do on the computer, if you have any way of running .dol files on your gamecube than you can do it. However, let it be known that the MAME emulation is buggy, only a few, non-resource demanding games will run @ a playable framerate with sound.

Hope this helps.

17. stupifire

stupifire Member

brucedlx: thx for the guide best on the net!

only thing is I can't get it to work, sdload comes up fine, I got fceu nes emu running fine, My q is do i need to inject one or more of the roms, snesgx starts up but it doesn't see my snesroms folder i guess all in smc format.

thx all

18. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

the snesgx.dol I included on my first post already has a rom injected into it so no, you do not need to inject it w/ a rom. I don't know why it wouldn't see the folder, try putting it in a different folder on the SDCard, maybe with minimal amount of characters? I really don't know sorry.

19. koppit

koppit Member

Hm, am I doing something wrong with my ViperGC? It won't load a separate rom from within the injected .dol file.. I'm using Cobra 1.6.

20. YattaroDO

YattaroDO Member

does the disk u burn need to be an exact size in data so the gc can read it?