1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to combine the srt. file with a Video Clip file?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by HolyArrow, Jul 31, 2006.

1. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

So the subs are with the video without having to load the subs separately with VLC or something. What program do I need?

And also I'm planning on putting the video file on a DVD (I don't need a choice of subs on or off, always on is fine), just saying so if that matters.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006
  2. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Please use the search field next time you ask, I recently answered this here- http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/371688

[bold]Requirements:[/bold]
    Around 6 hours for the whole process.
    VirtualDubMod- http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VirtualdubMOD
    VobSub- http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VobSub
    DivX codec- http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DivX_5
    OR XviD codec (upto you)- http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=XviD_Codec
    And finally VSFilter- http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VSFilter_DirectVobSub (Install it and then copy the VSFilter.dll to the plugins folder under the Virtualdubmod folder).

[bold]Method[/bold]
    1) Do a full install of VobSub and all the other downloads.
    Open up VirtualDubMod and then go to File and Open your AVI file. If it gives a message about VBR then click "NO".
    2) Then click on Video-->Filters-->Add now here- depending on your subtitle file format- if your subs are in srt, sub(text), smi, ssa format then click on textsub, if you have an idx/sub/ifo subtitle add the VobSub filter intead. Now click on open and select your subtitle file. Then click OK and OK again.
    3) Now go to Video-->Full Processing Mode.
    4) Click on Video-->Compression and select either DivX or XviD (depending on which one you downloaded at the start) and click OK.
    5) Finally go to File--> Save As and save your combined .avi file, this will take roughly 3-6 hours to make the finished .avi file. Once done, test out your video to see if the subs are combined (this method should work on whatever format subs you have)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  3. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

Thanks. Sorry, I was about to leave my house so I didn't have time to search, last minute topic making >_<

4. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

One more thing, what if audio on the movie file is disabled? I get sound using VLC, but with DivX and Real, I get no sound. Windows Media Player can't even play the file.

I try to load the video with VirtualDub, and it gives me a warning, "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW)compatible codec to decompress video.

Then it goes on about how the codec is unsuitable and then says "Only Direct stream copy is available for this video."

Then I am unable to select "filters" or anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  5. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

huh? how did you disable it? BTW what format is this file, knowing the format can help extract the audio and then combine video, audio AND subtitles in one process as described above.

Also, are you using VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod? I suggest Mod.

6. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

It was disabled automatically... same thing happened when I torrented Tom Yum Goong, audio was disabled, audio only worked on VLC. The format is .avi

And did you see my edited above post? It won't even let me load it correctly to VirtualDubMod.

I'm using Mod, sorry for the confusion, wanted to shorten the name, did't know there was also a normal VirtualDub.

7. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

You need to download FFDShow and enable decoding. And did you install the Xvid codec as listed above?

8. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

So that will let me run it properly on VirtualDubMod?

And do you have any idea how to enable the audio? One of my friends told me sometimes it's defaultly disabled, I don't understand why anyone'd do that but yeah.

I installed DivX, not Xvid, (you said either or, right?)

I just know DivX a little better, been using it to watch movies for a while now so I decided to go with it.

9. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

The XviD codec will help. The reaosn you need the Xvid codec is because your vid file is compressed using the Xvid codec and not DivX. As for the audio part, what format is the video? You will need to Demux the video into audio and vid and then in virtualdubmod combine audio, video AND subs. If you can tell me the format then maybe I can help you further.

10. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

It's .avi

Ah, I see. Now VirtualDubMod loads them properly with the Xvid codec installed. But theres still no sound.

11. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

2) Then click on Video-->Filters-->Add now here- depending on your subtitle file format- if your subs are in srt, sub(text), smi, ssa format then click on textsub, if you have an idx/sub/ifo subtitle add the VobSub filter intead. Now click on open and select your subtitle file. Then click OK and OK again.

I go to Video -> Filters -> Add. but I see no "textsub" filter on the list (my subs are srt.) I see stuff like "blur more", "field bop", "flip vertically", "invert", "logo", and "threshold" to name a few.... but no "textsub".

12. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

@ the texsub issue- you didn't install textsub, to make sure there should be a textsub.vdf file in your virtualdubmod plugins folder. You also need the VSFilter.dll file I gave a link to before and place that in the plugins folder via copy and paste.

I think VirtualDubMod can do that, here's the instructions:
    1) Open up the avi file in VirtualDubMod click No if the popup comes up.
    2) On the top toolbar go to streams and select your audio file, right click it and go to full processing mode.
    3) Click on demux and save as mp3

Next begin the method I mentioned before and before adding the subs go back to stream list and delete the audio stream that's already listed (it will have diagonal lines going across), click ADD and locate the mp3 file.
    Once added, right click and enable full processing mode- click interleaving and then ok, then carry on with the rest of the method and hopefully it'll be fixed at the end.

13. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

I have the VSFilter.dll file, but I don't know where to get the textsub file... where can I download it?

Wait, NEVERMIND again, I fixed it... I have textsub now... ok, I should be all set... hopefully won't have too many more questions...

Thanks for all your help so far... really. Sorry I got confused so much, heh.

14. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

I think VirtualDubMod can do that, here's the instructions:
    1) Open up the AVI file in VirtualDubMod click No if the popup comes up.
    2) On the top toolbar go to streams and select your audio file, right click it and go to full processing mode.
    3) Click on Demux and save as mp3

It doesn't let me save as mp3, only AC3.

15. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

AC3 is fine too, you can also pick the SAVE WAV function.

16. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

Ok. Thanks again.

17. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

One more question... XViD can be put on a DVD like DivX can, right (I remember I made a DVD with DivX once)

18. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Yes, it's not the codec that matters anyway. your file is AVI and so can be converted/ burnt to DVD.

19. HolyArrow

HolyArrow Guest

I'm sorry, one more question actually.

Is it possible to queue the movie files to be merged with the subtitle files (so like when Episode 1 is done being merged with its subtitles, episode 2 can automatically begin being combined with its subtitles, and so on and so on, so I can just leave it on combining movie with subtitles overnight instead of checking every 2 - 3 hours and doing the next manually)

20. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

I don't think that's possible :\ soz.