Limited or No Connectivity: ( help please )

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by thelad, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thelad

thelad Member

Can someone help me please

I am having problems with trying to get my belikin wirless router to stay connected or even get connected

i have checked with Belkin and i am told the problem lies with my computer

I have very little knowledge of computers so any help would be helfull

The Local Area Connection tells me the folowing

This is what I get when I went into Local Area Connection Status

Connection Status

_______________ Limited or No Connectivity: _________________

You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer

I clicked on Details :
    Network Connection Details :
    Property Value
    Physical Address [removed]
    IP Address 192.168.2.4
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained 16/08/2006/21:30:38
    Lease Expires 16/08/2007/21:30:38
    DNS Server 192.3168.2.1
    WNS Server

I clicked on Repair and got the following :

Windows is taking the following action

Got reply

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed :
    Renewing your IP Address

For Assistance, Contact the person who manages your network

Under General Tab
    Connection

Status Connected
    Duration 17:09:02
    Speed 100.0 Mbps

Activity Sent---- Icon (local Area Connection)---- Received

Bytes 231.330 555977

How do i change anything to stay connected

thanks for any help to solve this problem

Jim ( on the older side of life )

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

hi, as some of the regulars on Afterdawn will tell you, i've been unable to prowl these forums for some weeks up until a couple weeks ago, all down to crappy Belkin crappy routers. I had 2 of them give me months of nonstop intermittent hassle. Needless to say i ditched the Belkins and went to Linksys. No more problems at all. In fact i know have a Linksys cable router serving 4 or more PC's around the house (via wireless) and another Linksys wireless router for 'normal' Broadband which should be going online any day now. That router has been tested thoroughly previously so i know if i get problems it'll be down to the ISP.

My Belkin(s) worked fine for avout 4months then went south, giving more intermittent problems than you would believe.. I will never touch a bit of substandard craply designed Belkin stuff again :p

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  3. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

4. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

5. thelad

thelad Member

Many thanks for your replies

being new to the game i presummed Belkin were one of top suppliers in routers. I am using a Belkin G+ MIMO Modem Router

i have two wired desk tops computers into the router plus a laptop wireless

Things were ok till just over 2 weeks ago all 3 were connected and working OK

I switched the router OFF at the mains and things have gone haywire since as I cannot get connected or if i do i stay connected for about 2 minutes

I have changed the router twice and NOW ON MY 3rd Router

Is there a way I can check or change the

The local Area Connection Status as this is what i am told when i lose connection
    Limited or No Connectivity

and when i try to repair i am told

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed :
    Renewing your IP Address

For Assistance, Contact the person who manages your network

please try and advise me ( besides TAKING IT BACk AND GETTING MY MONEY BACK )

I am using Pipex Homecall with a Speedtouch Modem so I can still get online this way but i need to use the Laptop which i use Wireless

many thanks

thanks for the repies so far

take care

Jim

6. creaky

i know my way around computers but routers do my head in, networking just gets annoying at messy. But like most troubleshooting it always pays to start at the bottom (even if you have to do that loads of times!).
    i'd suggest a Factory reset of the router, with just the one PC to connect to the router via wire, ie as per the manual says when you first buy a router,,,

7. thelad

thelad Member

hi there Creaky

thanks for your input, i followed the instructions by just using one computer wired to the Belkin Router and all went ok after i got help from the Belkin wizard site on 192.168.2.1 and i was able to use 2wired computers and a wireless laptop.

when the power was switched off on the router is when i have been having problems connecting to the belkin wizard site

I phoned Belkin for more than few days at a time over about a 3 week period and got different helpers every time and each had their own way of doing things to try and sort things out but i am still seeking help and advice on sorting the problem

I have become very friendly with the factory rest of the router and managed to count from 10 to over 45 seconds at times then unplug the router then plug back in again Followed by going to START--- RUN --- TYPE cmd--- bring up the black screen -- type ---- ipcomfig or what ever the helper told me

but i still got the same result Request timed out X 4 times

so i am still open for help please

many thanks

Jim

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Here's some sound advice : return that belkin piece of Sh*te and buy a proper router from linksys or at least another top notch brand...
    Cause you will not be able to fix this problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2006
  9. thelad

thelad Member

thanks Fiend sound advice is always welcome

only wish it was help for solving the problem and NOT for the product itself as i am sure we all cant like or use the same stuff

i suppose it like buying a car you have your views and others have theirs

i am hoping someone will be able to help me soon

take care thanks
    Jim

10. creaky

@thelad - after a factory reset , you going to command line and using ipconfig - is that to ping www.google.com (for instance) - to see if the router is seeing the outside world ???

11. josh99

josh99 Regular member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  12. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i've had this happen alot. most of the time resetting the router works.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  13. creaky

@josh99 - i very much doubt this has anything to do with adware or similar but i guess it's worth checking

@anubis66 - that was the only reason i up with the 2 Belkin's, resetting or powering off always solved the problem BUT ONLY for very short periods. It became seriously annoying to walk up and down stairs (big Victorains stairs too) many times a day or night. Worst of all the connectivity was completely random; to cap it all, the router hungup the most freauently when i tried to use any webpages (if i used just yahoo or msn messengers it hung less frequently but still hung a lot); a router that can't handle simple webpages is not a router!. Also, my model of Belkins run very very hot so i placed the routers over a fan which kept them sufficiently cool, however the hangups continued in sheer defiance.

I replaced my Belkins with a Linksys and no more problems. I've tested one of the Linksys's on the boat where the only problems are line drops which we get often whenever the weather is a bit off (the phone line must be damaged but can only report when it cuts off altogether in the winter but i digress - i know the Linksys is perfectly fine so far).

ps i used the D-Link router on the boat for over a year, it hungup frequently, BUT only once a week; over time i could see the pattern - very approximately once a week it would hang so i'd just pull the power and it would work fine for almost exactly another week. The D-Link is still in my cupboard, and is kept as my trusty backup router (just in case).

@thelad - (seriously) - are you not able to return the router as faulty, if your problems are anything like mine then it's just going to be a problem for good. I ran out of troubleshooting ideas with mine and in the end i plumped for something that just works..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  14. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

my dad has a belkin that sometimes you can see the wifi but when you try to join it it says error. resetting works for a day or 2.

@creaky
    yeah resetting does become a pain. my router, mor often than saying this message, will just not allow you to connect to it. the you have to resett everything by powering down for a few minutes and re-pluging in everything.its some wireless router that works with vonage.

15. thelad

thelad Member

Thanks for all your input Folks

Well here goess in order i received the suggestions

Creaky i will start with you if you dont mind

I was instructed by the Staff at Belin to go to Run--- CMD -- black page ---- type --- ipconfig to bring up the ip address in my case no matter what came back. I was to then to type
    Ping space then 192.168.2.1 as the Default Gateway was also 192.168.2.1

most time all the got was Request timed out Request timed out

Request timed out Request timed out 4 times

I am sorry i dont understand about the Ping or what it is suppose to do I have also been told to type Msconfig in the Run box and another time i remember typing Renew somewhere

@ Josh99 I did try the snap files
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

but the problem was STILL NOT REPAIRED

I am using Speedtouch ADSL Modem to sent this to you all so i have got internet connection in the house
    I am hoping to get this all up and running so i can use the laptop downtairs As like Creaky its not much fun leggin it up and down the stairs to go online
    But thanks anyway please keep making suggestion that will solve the problem

@ anubis66 thanks also for your reply over a period of 3 weeks and 3 Routers later I definately know where the RESET little hole is and sure enough the light changing from green to red then back to green when the connections are made, sorry to say that did NOT WORK, but thanks anyway

---------------------------------------------------

Creaky back again to you thanks for writing again Dont stop as i am sure you will be successful in helping me

Read what you said to the others I bet you were smiling all the time you were going up and down the stairs to see to your trusted BELKIN ROUTER before you saw the light and changed to Linksys and the D-Link router ( what ever that is !!! Sorry now your getting 2 technical going on a BOAT with your router lol)

I am on my 3rd Belkin Wireless G + MIMO Modem Router and I went to PCWorld and they got into the Belkin Wizard Network Page, so I brought it home and I still cannot get the computer and the router to be FRIENDS and chat to each other

Still I am sure that you all will be wracking your BRAINS OUT to solve the probkem for me

PLEASE PLEASE keep making suggestion

BUT Remember i am over 60 with little knowledge of computers
    so be patient with me and do your BEST

I think i have been here typing this for about 4hours or is it 4 days ( Terrible this ONE FIMGER TYPING ) LOL

Thanks everybody and hope for replies soon
    take care
    keep smiling

Jim

16. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

you would also try a full resetting of it. most routers, when you unplug them for 3-5 minutes, will erase all the cache and settings of the router, rendering it like new. some linksys routers i know dont work with the power removal method, but you have belkin, so it should. maybe try another brand?

17. creaky

@thelad - haven't fully read your reply as i've just got in and am eating late; will read reply properly shortly; but looks like Belkin are getting you to ping (think submarines 'pinging' something - no different) the router's ip address ie seeing if the PC can talk to the router...

18. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

hes right. my router's ip is 192.168.15.1, but a more common one is 192.168.1.1. try to ping the more common one aswell when the router is hooked up.

19. creaky

@thelad - right then.....

...i was restarting reading the entire thread and about to reply about what all the fields are in your first post then i spotted the problem -

- that 3 has to come out (don't know how that was even allowed (the GUI shouldn't allow that as it's 4 digits not 3. If you've manually typed all those settings on the screen here in order to post you might have made a typo....

..let us know...am online for a little while yet tonight...

i still haven't read it all properly (and Belkin are still crap routers !), but hopefully we will get you sorted soon... a good sign is your speedtouch modem is working so we know your internet connection is working, it's gonna be a crappy Belkin and/or some simple setting such as the one above or similar.

ps... good on you messing with computers at 60 (bless!), that's fantastic. My folks are a similar age and in very similar situation, they often look at me googly-ed when i talk computers :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  20. thelad

thelad Member

Back folks Sorry the delay, trying to get things sorted for my holidays which is on the 25th August till 10th of September

I was hoping that i would have been up and running with 2 desktops and the laptop all singing and dancing, please forgive me If i cannot get it sorted soon. Would you all bear with me and try again when i come back from my holidays Thank you

Back to your replies

@ Anubis66 thanks for your input

I tried what you suggested and it worked for less than 5 minues then lost connection

________________________________-

@ Creaky thanks for being here again hope you enjoyed your meali never heard of ping thill all this FUN started but i suppose it means something that help the pc to chat to the router

@ Anubis66 so what your saying Is all routers from one company have there own numbers so they can connect to the computer
    makes sense i suppose

@ Creaky back to you again thanks for taking time to read whats been happening and I hope it all makes sense to you But for me its a wee bit over my head ( still you have to try and learn as you go )

Sorry i as not able to get online when you were on but with Holidays approaching and her indoors is doing ALL the packing so i am staying out of the way ( then i cannot get BLAMED FOR FORGETTING TO PACK ANYTHING ) Well thats my story I would rather be here than watching all the SOAPS on Tv

I looked back and I see 4 digits I am sure I just copied and pasted it into this page or like YOU suggest i may have had finger trouble when was typing ALL the NUMBERS ( when dont they supply a secetary with a computer then i would NOT have to learn to SPELL and one finger TYPE all over again LOL ) and there would be NO mistakes

wish i had known you b4 I got the Belkin then i would not be in this mess but thats life i suppose

As Was suggested I BORROWED ANOTHER ROUTER and guess what ITS ANOTHER BELKIN this one is a older version ADSL WIRELESS MODEM with BUILT -IN WIRLESS ROUTER and i am using it now to sent this to you so it been on for about 2 hours but it cut out once but so far But at leats i got onloine with it

Here is the Settings from this router

Status

Version Info
    Runtime Code Version [removed]
    Boot Code Version V1.3C
    Hardware Version 01A
    Serial Num [removed]
    ADSL Modem Code Version 13.9.38

LAN Settings
    LAN MAC Address [removed]
    IP Address 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server Enabled

Internet Settings

WAN MAC Address [removed]
    Cable/DSL CONNECTED
    WAN IP 88.???.???.???
    Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
    Gateway 212.??.???.???
    Primary DNS 80.225.252.58
    Secondary DNS 80.225.252.50
    Features

Firewall Enabled
    Wireless Enabled
    SSID [removed]
    WLAN MAC Address [removed]
    UPnP Disabled

I hope all that makes sense to You All

Well thats it for NOW
    Please keep intouch and many many thanks for all your time and effort in trying to help me

thanks once again

hope to hear b4 i go away if Not i will be here after my holidays

Good job i am at the end of this mail

guess its bak to switching OFF and Back on again

I suppose it was too GOOD TO BE TRUE hoping this router would STAY CONNECTED

if not i will send this vial the SpeedTouch Moden

NEWS FLASH
    -------------------
    -------------------

I unplugged the power went for a CUPPA power back on the router and all the lights are on

so there is 2 desktops and a laptop ALL ONLINE NOW so i better send this

Thanks again keep trying PLEASE to solve my problem

take care all of you

Jim

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.