1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i know if i have a dual layer dvd burner?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by raziel316, Oct 15, 2006.

1. raziel316

raziel316 Member

Hi a 2 part question here .

I'm trying to back up a movie of mine that's larger that 4.5 gb. I have a dvd burner but i'm not sure if it's dual layer. How do i check that?

I understand that i can fit movies 4.5 gb or smaller on a regular dvd-r without loosing any quality ,but, if movies are larger than 4.5 gb (say 8.5 gb) will dual layer allow me to fit this 8.5 gb movie on to one cd without loosing quality (i don't want to compress the 8.5 to fit on a 4.5 because of the quality lost)?

I use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

What is the make and model number?
    You should be able to get this information from DVD_Decrypter.

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

First of all you may need DVDFab-Decrypter (which is not the same as what you have) or Ripit4me to rip the disc.

Look up your drive at http://www.videohelp.com. Look under DVD Writers on the left.

4. raziel316

raziel316 Member

I'm not exactly sure what make / model dvd writer i have. I believe it's a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N

Don't know what that means.

In DVD decrypter when I select, Tools - Drive - Capabalities, it list all supported formats. For dual layer (DL) here's what it provides me:

DVD-R DL NO
    DVD+R DL YES

I think this means I can burn dual layer dvds, right?

5. raziel316

raziel316 Member

when i go to pick up a few dvds i should be getting the DVD+R DL right? Howmuch do each of these go for roughly?

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You can burn DVD+R DL, not DVD-R DL. Make sure you get the correct format as I made that mistake once. Verbatim DL seems to be the best, Canadian prices are about $2.25.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Your drive is an LG HLDS GSA-H10N. It may be genuine,or a rebadge- the firmware version on your drive will reveal this info. Use this free program call dvdidentifier:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

If it's a genuine LG H10N, then the firmware version will JL11. Let us know what yours reveals.

You've got dvd-ram capability,dual layer-plus format only,and dual format for single layer.

Dvd decrypter is very good for DL backups. Using Mode ISO read and write. I prefer ImgBurn to do the burning after ripping with dvd decrypter in Mode ISO read. Newer encryptions may be a problem.

One last note: DL backups will be a different format. Players may have a harder time reading them. LG drives have booktyping capability-for plus format only. Dvd decrypter may be able to set the booktype.

To the right of the Burn speed setting when you go to Mode/ISO write-you'll see a small book icon. Click on that. Click on the LG tab. Locate Change For- and set to Dvd +R DL. Below that it says new setting-select dvd-rom unless it's grayed out. click change and ok. You should get a little window to pop up that'll say success. You'll probably have to change it back when running +R or +R RW media.

Same exact process goes for ImgBurn as well,but it's suppose to be a better DL burn engine.

8. xydas7

xydas7 Member

Hi I have a sony vaio VGN-FE21M with a "SONY DVD RW DW-G520A" but i dont know if I can write dual layer dvd. How can I find out? And also if I can what region dvd can i write

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

10. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

If you have Nero run Nero InfoTool. The very bottom-left, where is says "Region Code", will tell you what region code discs your drive will accept.

There are tons of modified firmwares for almost all drives, as well as DVD ripping tools, that will take care of the region code problem.