1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LITEON SOHW-1633S Firmware Upgrade

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by georgen, Oct 27, 2006.

1. georgen

georgen Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a Liteon SOHW-1633S burner, Version BSOH, which seemingly cannot write 16X DVD-R media.

Does anyone know if there is a firmware upgrade to permit writing 16x media?

Thanks,
    Georgen

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

3. georgen

georgen Member

Many thanks Binkie7... I'll check out both upgrades, maybe have to do both with the earlier one first.
    George

4. binkie7

No problem georgen
    Yes I would think you would have to user the older one 1st to get 12x then the latest one to update the media codes. Never tried that myself but both are stock firmware for the drive.

5. georgen

georgen Member

Sorry to bother you Binkie but I have a problem. When I click on the older (1st) firmware upgrade, <1633S.BS41.stock.rar>, Windows doesn't recognize it and prompts to select a program to open it with.

What is this "rar" extension and how do I install it?
    Georgen

6. binkie7

7. georgen

georgen Member

thanks again...
    ~g

8. binkie7

No problem
    Keep us posted on the outcome!

9. georgen

georgen Member

After reading the following two threads on another site, I'm a bit reluctant to do the upgrade.

"I recently upgraded the firmware of my Liteon 1633sx (USB) drive, since it wasn't recognising 16x media as such (it was seeing them at 12x and burning accordingly). (F/W DR15BSOS.zip)

All seemed to go fine with the flash proceedure.
    However, attempts to burn such discs in nero now generate reliable coasters, every time (disc verification fails in all cases). Looking at the discs, the drive seems to write data on top of data: only part of the surface is written with an extra-dark track for part of it. The media is recognised correctly in nero, and the burning phase is reported as being ok.

The media I am trying to use are Ritek Ridisc Xtreme 16x DVD+R.

Slower speed discs (e.g. a TDK 4x one I had lying around) seem unaffected.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; alternatively, is there a way of getting hold of an earlier firmware (only the current version seems to be available on the Liteon site), so I can at least use these discs, albeit at the slower speed?
    Cheers,
    Ed."

... to which the response was:

" Re: Liteon 1633sx firmware upgrade causes coaster city
    The 1633s and 1653s are similar drives, and the sx just means an external version of this drive. I'm afraid this drive is also nicknamed a good 8x burner since their performance above 8x is unreliable/inconsistent. Stick to 8x or less for quality sake. Time difference isn't worth it (especially with this burner)"

I'm very concerned that once installed, I'll have Nero problems and will NOT be able to step back, i.e., uninstall the firmware. So now I'm not sure whether to go through with the upgrade.

Your thoughts on this matter are very much appreciated.

Georgen

10. binkie7

Good to see you're doing your homework :)

Me - I keep all my drives up to date on the firmware. 2 of my drives are LiteOn's - one older than your's & one newer.
    If I had your drive I would update to the BSOY - the BS41 just unlocks a higher burn speed on -R. Will hopefully give you a better chance with the 16x -R media. Since the drive is a 16x +R/8x -R the update may give more support to the +R 16x media.

So far using good media even some iffy ones and keeping the firmware up to date has made for minimal problems at best for me.

Hope that helps!

11. georgen

georgen Member

Thank you again Birdie. I think I'll sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow when my head is hopefully clearer.
    ~g

12. binkie7

Ok georgen
    Sleep on it and let us know!
    (though I do think you will be fine - that's what firmware is for to teach the drive the newer write stragies and media codes on the newer media for one thing)
    If you need any more help b/4 deciding just post back.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@binkie7
    which liteon is it? not the newset one likemine is it? SHW-160P6S???
    i'veburnt about 6 of the printable 16x+r verbs on it so far anf they work great even getting better scans not that means anything?
    plus i just ordered them 8x+r hub printable verbs...

14. dvd808

dvd808 Member

Can this upgrade be used for the 1635 too?

15. binkie7

Yep that's the one cincyrob :)
    Scans are fine too - 95's and I think one 98. Using the +R 16x. May just be the spindle. Play fine and no issues otherwise just don't want to be burned at those higher speeds. Looks like the BenQ does the same w/ them - though on the LiteOn the lowest it ever got was 6x.

You're fine with them - I'd still buy them.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

wow so you have had some burns at 16x???smokin how'd they turn out? im just affraid to waste a disc....that last batch of 16x+r verbs i had that gave me such problems on my hp. once i started to burn the last 20 or so at 12x i had no problem out of them....guess its like the speed limit if it say's 70 you do 75...lol

17. binkie7

18. dvd808

dvd808 Member

Thanks binkie7!

19. binkie7

You're welcome dvd808 :)

20. georgen

georgen Member

SUCCESS!!!

The firmware upgrade installation worked. Here is the procedure for those that might be interested.

Use the following procedure to install the Liteon Firmware Upgrade BSOY.

1. Extract the zipped file, DR16BSOY.ZIP and run the executable, bsoy.exe (dated 12/16/05).

2. When the "Flash Utility Warning" screen is displayed, click "Yes" to continue.

3. When the "Please select target drive" screen is displayed, accept the default drive found by the installation program and click "Update" to continue, thereby upgrading the firmware from BSOH to BSOY. The update progress is displayed in the "Program" window. The process may take a minute or so to complete, based on the computer configuration.

4. When the "Information" screen is displayed, advising that the firmware has been updated successfully, click "OK" to continue.

5. When the "Reboot Warning" screen is displayed advising that the computer needs to be restarted, click "Now" or "Later" to complete the firmware upgrade process. Upon restarting the computer, Windows XP displayes "Found new hardware."

NOTE: Following the firmware upgrade, DVD-R, 16x media WILL be usable on the Liteon Model SHOW-1633S Optical Drive. However, the maximum attainable write speed will be 8x.

Binkie, thanks for your fine support in this matter. Hope this helps others too!
    Georgen