The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Now I really know I spend to much time here, it seems I'm an Addict lol.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yes you are....congrats.....

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thanks. It really doesn't mean much but it's cool to have anyway lol.

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

congrats abuzar1 on the aDa,you did it in about a year. Looks like my second time around to make aDa will be about four months lol. and cool pics LP531 great show huh

I decided just to do a new mobo and CPU and memory when i get ready about mid summer. theres no need changing out my video card at this point.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  5. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

I can't wait for tommorow!!!!!!!

Quad, Burner, Case and GPU!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday brings,

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, Arctic Silver 5, S-FLEX 1600RPM

By Friday will hold my WD 500GB Hard Drive and Crucial Ballistix 1066.

Last time i checked, my build was just over £700 for everything. I was looking to break the £700 barrier(so i could label it "Sub £700 Monster") but meh.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mort: No, I appreciate that fact, but Scythe make LED versions of the S-Flex called the Kaze series, which having used both, I can say are pretty much as good.
    As far as the 900 goes, the fans on medium annoy the hell out of me. You're well aware how much I like my silent PC, but they even annoy people who don't give a damn about silent PCs...

I'm sad to think that anyone would contemplate leaving the thread. We all have our differences of opinion which is fine - we're here to constructively point out things that people may have overlooked, we're not here to bitch at each other.

He_Man: Sub £700 for that build.... <sighs>

7. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, it's a sigh in your favour because you have a great PC for half what I've ended up spending on mine.
    As for the commodore, that PC's probably worth around £800, but only due to the case and unnecessary power supply.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes we are well aware that you DON'T like fan noise or any noise coming from your PC sam. That's your opinion and yours only at this point. We can't hear your PC and don't want to. ;) If you're happy with your equipment then so-be-it.

I'll interject here for my own interest and the possible loss of a well respected friend and mentor....(Mort81 if I'm outta line, PM me and I'll remove some or all of what I'm about to write)

sammorris I think your attitude and constant opinion about some things you have little or no knowledge on is very disturbing to say the least. I know that you have a few computers and some knowledge of fans but your self proclaimed EXPERT knowledge of fans is limited to a few brands and makes. I think Russ (theonejrs) pointed out many times that other brands have good capabilities and so on. BUT you constantly project your opinion even tho he has provided scientific data to back up his claims. Heck if I remember right he even provided tests on other fans. (PLEASE be aware this isn't about frikkin fans!!!)

I myself am very limited in my experience and knowledge about computers and their components. I've admitted this before and I'm not afraid to admit that I've made a mistake which I've done more than once. lol. The last one (in here) was when Lp531 pointed out that I missed some info on a P/S and it's wiring.... ;)

sam you obviously missed some of what Mort81 was trying to say and convey OR you don't give a crap.

I completely agree and briefly touched on that with my own experience in here. CONSTRUCTIVELY is the operative word here!! You seem to be able to point out things but it seems you have to be combative with almost everyone especially if they disagree with you or their thoughts or experiences go against yours. lol. Sorry but that's funny to me in that it shows inexperience in dealing with humans and also shows some signs of immaturity!!

PLEASE consider this a fair representation of some of the "older" members here. I think your knowledge is impressive but you should consider how you use it and especially when you use it.

@ALL,
    If I'm outta line here, lemme know. ESPECIALLY the MOD's... I can continue this in PM's or what ever is needed to resolve the situation that has arisen. It truly saddens me when someone as well liked and respected as Mort81 feels the need to leave over something that could have been avoided with some understanding and forethought.

GOOD LUCK to ALL!!!!!

.....gm

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

my Antec 900 fans are set on medium. and it really doesn't bother me but I'm not that picky

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

but people. its sam opinion. this forum is for showing them. hell if no one does then sam does, its just that if we only get a sam opinion, then we will have silent PC freaks! :p

the problem is, sam may shove silentness down our throats, but u lot shove gigabyte down everyone elses!

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's a broad generalization. lol.

I've never shoved anything at anyone to my knowledge in here. I may have my opinions on ODD's but I have some experience with them. ;)

As far as mobo's go... I have an ASUS, Gigabyte, FoxConn, and a POS Machspeed (which is on the shelf collecting dust...the ASUS replaced it!!!!) If I was to push anything at this point it would be ASUS but unfortunately my experience with them is limited (only 2 boards) and one each of the others that I have indicated. I'll say this I like the Gigabyte mobo so far BUT we'll see how it actually does once I PUSH it a little. lol. :p

....gm

13. herrick

herrick Regular member

@Lp531

Its been a while sense Ive been here BUT thanks to greensmen I am now ready to do what I need to do....I will be replaceing the mobo I have w/ the same one[thanks bro,,,greensmen] and have ordered two XFX 8600 vid cards and a new PSU CM 850W

Now to the point...you gave me a while back [way back]a link to a site to get good quaity fans...these deltas are killing me w/ the noise level- I do beleive they have a demon in them...

Can you please direct me in the right place again...I want the badest and quitest fans avaliable

14. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ all

Also does anyone have an opinion on a better CPU cooler then the one I have?

15. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Sorry to butt in but this is where i think the conflict arises in opinion when people ask a question such as above,

"I want the badest and quitest fans avaliable"

I know Sam will say S-FLEX but others will say differently.

Can't we just all agree on what products to get for say a gpu, ram so this kind of stuff is kept to a minimum?

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

herrick he has some obscure sites sometimes but here a couple for you. ;P

svc.com

fans at the EGG I always forget about the EGG when it comes to case fans....sometimes they do pretty good....lol

coolerguys.com

hth.....

Lp531 you post your weird websites NOW.....hehehe. :p

...gm

17. herrick

herrick Regular member

I have been gone awhile...and not sure about all the drama...but send a link to S-FLEX or any other.... I welcome all suggestions...just want to redue my machine...all the other stuff Im cool, just want some leads please

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I currently have...(2) Gigabyte's...(1) Shuttle...(2) Asus...(2) Soyo...
    I recommend what ever I feel fits the individual situation...usually price is the deciding factor...
    Gigabyte just has the best...performance...to dependability...to price ratio...In my opinion Right Now...

19. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Firstly, when have I ever called myself an expert?
    Secondly, I have first hand experience of using the following brands:
    Akasa
    Casecom
    Hiper
    Adda
    Sunon
    Yate Loon
    Nexus
    Thermaltake
    Noctua
    Silverstone
    NZXT
    Antec
    Ruilian Science/Xinruilian
    Hardly total coverage of the market I'll agree, but I'm not limited strictly to the brands I recommend and plug, I simply think they're more worth using than the others listed.
    However, this has gone on far too long for me, and for anyone else. For low noise, go with Scythe/Nexus. For top CFM / dB Ratio, go with Silverstone (or should I actually say, Everflow, since that's who they're made by). The facts don't lie, but at the end of it all they only say so much, it's down to your individual hearing. I even slag off Noctuas, which to many are the cream of the crop for silence. I have picky tastes as you see in this area, so what can I say, it's natural to extend what I've found meets the highest expectations to anybody else.
    As far as the rest of the pc market goes, if I'm forcing a singular route on anyone with a degree of force, I apologise. There are vast numbers of different routes you can take with PC hardware and always achieve a respectable end result. In this area, I will happily step back and agree, the reduced number of PCs I built compared to the rest of the people in this forum is a distinct disadvantage to me, hence I have to rely on web research and other people's experiences so I know what to recommend. After all, I've never seen an 8800GT, HD3850 or HD3870 in the flesh, I can only go on what I've heard from people and official specifications.

Lastly on this note, it's been a stressful week for me. You shouldn't let that get the better of you with regard to your attitude on the forum, and I have. For this reason I am withdrawing from this thread, and the majority of the threads in this section of the forum for a couple of days. It's even stood out to myself that I seem to be disagreeing with pretty much every post that's made. It really is depressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.