The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

WOW this moved FAST.

I am posting about the previous build that was going to use a 3870. Why not use a 8800GT instead?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500006

ZOSO, that's a terrible replacement! If you ordered a Rampage Formula, you should DAMN WELL get it. From what I have heard the Striker 2 is not a good board at all. I would either get my money back or demand they put in a Rampage Formula(great board).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Xevlys this psu is a good one. I posted it earlier but it may have gotten lost in the mix. ;) link to Antec NeoPower 650 It's $99 delivered, modular, and has plenty of power if you decide to use it. ;)

.....gm

3. Xevlys

Xevlys Regular member

Thanks for the suggestion but im tired of having annoying cables in my case >.< looks like a great PSU though but id really like the modular at this point. As far as buy.com goes, ive never used the site so i dont know its customer service standards nut i do know for sure that newegg will replace/fix anyhting that gets screwed up on a more than reasonable basis so i prefer to shop with them, havent heard anything bad about buy.com, just no experience wih them.

@ greensman

that PSU looks good too. bah why are there so many choices with this? lol... Anyway, ive been trying to keep an eye on the PSU debate going on here regarding and from what i can tell it looks like a good idea to go for more power so that i dont need to upgrade the PSU again in the future, but thr agrument is cost. So for what i see the Antec PSU has more power and doesnt cost a lot more so it would be better to get that?,,, idk i think i kinda got lost on that debate.

@abuzar1

Welll, um, i couldnt tell you why not because i dont know the differences all that well. Whats the advantage of the 8800GT over the HD 3870 or vice versa? I forgot how complicated all this can get lol...

Well, great suggestions all around hope to hear back soon. I think i needa set my self on a build soon otherwise ill just keep changing things and never actually buy it... but at the same time I want to be sure and buy some decent parts so i like where this is going :D will check back soon.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The 8800GT is just faster. It's just a better card. They say image quality is a bit better on ATI, but I never noticed the difference, and I went from a 3850 to a 8800GT.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Xevlys,

I have delt with buy.com many times. great retailer plus you can't beat their prices on a lot of items. I would seriously consider this PSU at $115 delivered you can't go wrong.

some other things to consider is the warranty, efficiency, and the MTBF. you won't find many, if any that top the corsair 620HX. do a little comparing and have a look for yourself. I have two 620HX's and won't use anything else. here's a couple of snippets from the spec sheet:

Double forward switching circuitry design offers high efficiency, up to 80% under wide load range

Ultra quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying the RPM in response to temperature.

Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection provide maximum safety for your critical system components

105ºC rated industrial grade capacitors provide uncompromised performance and reliability, delivering 4 times the lifespan of conventional 85ºC rated capacitors.

8 Serial ATA connectors (4 on 520W).

MTBF: 100,000 Hours

The HX620W/HX520W is backed with a Limited 5-Year Warranty and Corsair’s legendary customer service.

link to specs http://www.corsairmicro.com/products/hx.aspx

GM,

the antec PSU looks pretty good too except the MTBF is only 80,000, it doesn't use as good of capacitors, and the cable assortment isn't as good/ you don't get as many. 5 cable sockets vs 7 with the 620HX. other than that, it has the same 5 year warranty, as is claims to be a little more efficient (85%) although I have read reviews on the 620HX and they say it's efficiency rating is very modest. it is actually 85-90% efficient under most load conditions.

6. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

if you wan ALOT of mudualr cables go to the new enermax modu82+ 625W or evnn better the Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 650W.

but IMO, the HX620 jsut cant be beaten on the performance for price vs these two PSUs.

but i do suggest people check out the reviews for the Be Quiet Dark Power Pro Series.

8. Xevlys

Xevlys Regular member

@mort

You hit at the point i was keeping in mind when i first chose the corsair, i know that they have excellent quality products, so I think im going to stick with that. You kept mentioning the 620W rather than the 520W i have listed on my build, as did a few other people. Is that because you think i should get the 620W for future upgradability or will the 520 be fine for that?

Also, can anyone else comment on getting the 8800GT over the 3870? not that i dont trust abuzar i just like lots of opinions. Any objections to either one of the cards or pros one might have over the other? By looking them over it does look like the 8800GT does have the better specs and with the image quality issue that Abuzar mentioned i dont think id notice it either. Ive used comparable radeon and nvidia cards in the past and never noticed much difference anyway.

and, since no one has made comments on the rest of the build im going to assume those choices are good :D

9. LOCOENG

Xevlys, you should really just pick one and run with it. Everyone will chime in with what they think is best as we all have our own favorites, but in the end it's your money and your decision. We can spend your money for you all day if you want though. :)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 8800GT is faster than the HD3870, but not by sufficiently much that I would pay any more for one. If it means extra spending, don't bother. The difference between the 8800GT and 3870 is 15% at best - with the HD4850 it's over 80%, and even that's only 40 dollars or so more now from some manufacturers.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Xevlys,

future upgradability is one reason but another is the additional SATA power connectors, 8 Serial ATA connectors (4 on 520W).

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

other than just wanting to OC, is there a real advantage to OC a Quad core cpu?

Mort
    your looking into getting that Q9450 2.66ghz stock. what real advantage is there takeing it up to 3.0-3.2ghz? with the 12mb cache do you gain anything more with the OC?

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

@whoever is upgrading, building (new), or just searching (info) for a computer.

LOCO is correct in the fact that we will spend your money if you let us. lol. It's always been that way and will always be. ;) On the other hand you will get some pretty good info about different components but the problem here (like LOCO mentioned) is the fact that we all find something we like and sorta push that item. :D The Corsair 620 is one those items. If building an upper/higher/gamer PC I wouldn't go with any thing less than a QUALITY 600W+ psu. IMHO there's NO need to go with something that will just get the job done. It's like buying a 4 passenger car and sticking 5 passengers in there just because it will do it. lol. What if they all look like me and RedRob?? heheehe. 4 passengers would be stretching it fo sho... :p

NOW on to your selections Xevlys!! You've made some "brilliant" decisions on components and I'd like to have your upcoming build. NICE little setup if you ask me. :) Going with the Corsair 620 will NOT be a mistake and you'll get some great use out of it for years to come. :)

Oh... and btw... I'd really consider getting an after market hsf cooler. LOL. You'll need it, cause if you're like the rest of us.... OC'in is in your blood!@!@!!! ;)

@Sammy & shaf........ Don't you guys have some sort of GPU thread to link to with all this info regarding your topic of choice??????? :p

....gm

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOCOENG,
    Here's my up and down. Not too bad for a T1 line!

[​IMG]

It was really pitiful until they installed the new line. The line is over 200 feet long and when the wind gets to blowing 50+ as it sometimes does here, it whips all over the place.

What started all the problems was that the line had to come down to remove a tree. The first rain we had after that (a small thunderstorm) must have gotten water in the box because it barely worked at all after that! The new line and box solved that!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, yeah we do. It's stickied in the PC building section. Of course since THIS GPU stuff is related to him BUILDING his computer, I think it's appropriate ;)

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ you got a link so i can do ti aswell?

and GM, haha, yes there is a GPU thread, but it started on here, so it ended here, no need for it to spill onto another thread aswell HAHA.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

18. LOCOENG

Check your PM's Russ to avoid further pulling this thread off track.

@the rest

The reason I suggested the GPU thread was to cut down on the debate. It's alright to talk about GPU's in this thread, but I have to agree with GM here as it's dominating the topic ATM. I realize that this is an attempt to make some clarification to Xevlys on his query, but really I think it's just becoming confusing and now he's second guessing his original plans.

@Xevlys

I think you have a nice parts list and won't go wrong with either GPU, they both have their merits.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Basically Sam said the 8800GT is not worth it if it's more because it's only like a 15% difference. Because the one I linked to is the same price as the 3870, the price/performance ratio is better with the 8800GT.

Now it's up to you, and I will shutup.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

loco understood, but most of the debate was about PSUs not GPUs. its good to have one once ina a while, lets people see different sides of a point. and it was related to the building of computers aswell.

if the 8800GT is the same as the 3870 then get that. by no means is it a bad card. its still brilliant at 1680 and less.

and russ thanks fro the link, sorry for the laziness, but for me this si wrong, as I can download via torrents and usenet and rapidshare at about 1.5-1.6MB/s (12.5Mb/s)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.