1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows error code 37

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by tlaw, Dec 12, 2006.

1. tlaw

tlaw Member

My DVD drive is not working and I am receiving error code 37 "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. ... ( Code 37)"

I have a Dell Inspirion I9200
    Intel Pentium M
    1.8GHz
    1 GB Ram
    Windows XP Home Edition
    NEC DVD RW ND-6500A

I have tried updating the driver and it says that it cannot find a better match. I have also tried uninstalling and rebooting and reinstalling and it still does not work. I do not know where to go from here, I have a fair amount of knowledge with computers but need further help, please.

Thank You

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Might want to take a look at this page here, and read 37-39.

If that doesn't help; get back to us here :)

3. tlaw

tlaw Member

Read throught those pages and tried all of it and it still doesnt work.

4. tlaw

tlaw Member

Now I also see, I have an external drive , an LG lightscribe drive - HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-2166D USB and it is also showing an error...
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

5. pooky98

pooky98 Guest

I have a Dell Dimension 4550,with a Nec DVD/CD/RW,and a Lite-On DVD/CD/RW.They both show up in device manager with yellow !'s. I've un-installed them and both have been recognized on the reboot but not installed. I have the installation cd-roms, but they won't run them.
    The code 37 shows up with the message -can't initialize drivers.
    In System Setup, both are listed as unknown devices on the secondary 0 and 1. On the reboot,
    the HDD on the primary drive looks for HDD on the secondary O and 1 where the DVD's are located.I've tried to go to the manufacturer's website to download latest drivers but cannot install them. I don't know what else to do. Please help
    Pooky98

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

7. pooky98

pooky98 Guest

yup,been into the case before. read the part about error 39, went into the registry,eliminated the two items, no help. Same thing exactly. Thanks ddp for your interest. I'm starting to think motherboard.

8. tlaw

tlaw Member

Their was in fact a problem with the registry. Was able to correct it, thanks for all the help. Drives are working now.

9. ddp

pooky98, what does it show in the bios? could disconnect the rom drives off their data cable, restart the computer, go into windows, shut down the computer properly & reconnect the rom drives.

10. rotomike

rotomike Member

I have the same problem. Dont know what happened but code 37 all of a sudden. i uninstalled and re-installed and all the usual stuff and got nowhere. the driver is either missing or corrupt. i tried looking for a driver but i guess its not that easy. Its an LG lightscribe HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-611N That could be wrong becasue im not in front of computer i know it ends in 11N but not sure about the 6 but anyway, i cant find a list of LG drivers anywhere so what do i do? tlaw, how did you fix yours?
    Another funny thing is i have a game that is a download not a cd game and has worked for months and all of a sudden it says to put the cd in and its a dowload game and has never had that pop-up so that is how i found the dvd problem when trying to fix that game. i re-downloaded the game and it still asks for cd and never has before.

mike

11. pooky98

pooky98 Guest

Thanks ddp for the information. Bios shows secondary drives with unknown devices.Tried to uninstall and re-install from Device Manager, can't get anywhere.Will not install from original cd-roms.
    Everything works except the DVDs, continues to show Code 37, unable to install. Driving me nuts.
    Pooky

12. ddp

pooky98, but you didn't do as i posted before.

13. pooky98

pooky98 Guest

I did as you suggested, removed both dvd's from cable, rebooted, went to windows, shut down,reconnected cables, nothing happened on reboot.
    This is really a "sticky wicket".