1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fix out of sync audio??

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by menaceuk, Dec 21, 2006.

1. menaceuk

menaceuk Member

I think this belongs in this section but if not i am very sorry.

I have been looking through the site but i could not find a tutorial on how to resync audio.

So could somebody point me to a tutorial or runme through it in a reply.

This is the first time i will be trying this so a good clear and well explained tutorial would be best but any will do.

I think the movie is a AVI/Xvid codec if that helps .

Thanks for any help given.

2. collarme

collarme Regular member

Open your file in VirtualDub. Go to Audio>Interleaving and experiment with the 'Audio Skew Correction' setting (1000 ms = 1 second). Make sure both Video and Audio are set to 'Direct Stream Copy' and then File>Save As AVI. Play your new file and check the sync. If it's still not right just repeat the process until it's OK.

3. menaceuk

menaceuk Member

It wont let me open the file in VDUB it says

Couldn,t locate decompressor for format Xvid( unknown)

Virtual dub requires a (VFM) Video for windows.

The movie is fine for the 1st 46 mins then goes out of sync i would say about 1-2 seconds out of sync.

4. collarme

collarme Regular member

You need to have the required codec installed on your PC. Try installing the Xvid codec and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't help then the movie may not be Xvid- download GSpot( http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm ) to find out exactly which codec you're missing.

These kinds of sync problems are more difficult to fix than those where the whole movie is out of sync by the same degree all the way through. What you will have to do is cut the movie into different chunks- Part 1 will be the first 45 mins. (which won't need re-syncing), then the 2nd part will be where the video/audio is out of sync by more or less the same amount of time for as long as possible (you have to cut at the point where the video/audio start to drift further away from each other). The number of chunks will depend on how far the video/audio drift away from each other as the movie goes on. You'll probably find that you can split the movie at 10 minute intervals (after the first 45 mins.), re-sync each one, and then join it all up using VDub (To join AVIs in VDub, open the first part (45 mins), then click on FIle>Append AVI Segment to add the 2nd part, and so on until you've added them all.

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

ok the movie file i have is out of sync right from the start, and i did what you said and set it to (1000 ms = 1 second) and it is comming out great, but this file will be huge. i have done 12.03 min of this file and the size is 9,318,324, how do i save this file to make it smaller, if i did the first half of the file it would be like100gb, what do i need to do to fix the size?

6. collarme

collarme Regular member

Make sure you have Video>Direct Stream Copy selcted before you save each segment. Your save will be very quick and the file will be the same size as the original.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  7. ryan1331

ryan1331 Member

I have been looking for just such a discussion! I have a similar problem. However, I'm a newbie on VDub. So, 2 things, I'm not even sure how to cut a video, and 2. Are there settings that can deal with this in advance?

8. collarme

collarme Regular member

Open your file in VDub, then move the slider along to the start of your selection. then click the left-hand 'arrow' button (there are two 'arrow'-type buttons at the bottom of VDub, next to the Frame counter; one pointing left, the other pointing right)- that's your Start-of-Selection marker. Then move the slider along to the end of your selection and click the right-hand 'arrow' button- you'll now have a highlighted selection which you can save as a new file. Remember, if you're just adjusting the audio sync make sure you have Direct Stream Copy selected under Video>Direct Stream Copy or else VDub will re-encode the segment rather than copy it.

On your second point, it's really a case of trial and error (it gets easier the more you do it). To test your audio sync settings, highlight a small (10 mins. or so) section of the movie, adjust the audio sync (Audio>Interleaving) and save. If it's still off, repeat the process with a tweak of the sync slider.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  9. ryan1331

ryan1331 Member

Well, that seemed to work. I guess the best way to then go from avi to DVD is some authoring software like Nero or some other. Thanks

10. imbatwell

imbatwell Member

So, I was having a similar issue as Menaceuk. I was trying to put a copy of a movie I got for Xmas on my Ipod but the A/V were out of sync. So I used MPC to find out how many Milliseconds it was off. Then I used VirtualDubMod to correct the issue all was well until I tried to save the file as an AVI. Here is the error I got: "The Source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream." So here I sit confused. Here's what I've done to get to this point. I used DVDdecrypter to create 2 files, 1 AC3 file and 1 M2V file. Then I multiplex them together with ImagoMPEG-Muxer, the result is a file with Windows Media Player icon called Movie file(MPEG).(At this point i usually convert it to ipod format but it was out of sync so I didnt) This is the file that I've been working with. I've also tried to create one big IFO file and use Videora Ipod converter still comes out, out of sync. Sorry this is kinda long but Thoughts on how to fix this one?

11. collarme

collarme Regular member

There's a freeware program called DVD Flick which might be worth a look. It's been getting some good ratings: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVD_Flick

That's what I would advise- I always create one big file when using DVD Decrypter. Your problem is that VDub can't save mpegs (which is what you're attempting to do when using Direct Stream Copy with this file), it would have to convert it to avi (which means re-encoding). To get around this particular file's problem download a trial version of VideoReDo. Request a trial key and you'll get a long trial period during which you'll be able to output with no limitations. VReDo will adjust your audio sync and output an mpeg with no re-encoding ready to be converted for use on your IPod.

12. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

collarme thanks for the help it worked out just fine, if there is anything i can do for you just let me know, thanks again

13. ryan1331

ryan1331 Member

As a followup thought, I made two versions of the DVD and the quality looks/sounds identical to the original VHS, however, there are some minor "skips" of frames where I had to cut to realign the A/V. Now that I assumed was due to the fact that the original was a remastered B/W film. Is that something to expect with modern films, or is there a refinement of that as well?

14. collarme

collarme Regular member

Thanks rdmercer1, glad to help.

It all comes down to the accuracy of the cuts. Can I just ask, what format is the file in when you first get it onto your PC? Also, is the audio sync out by the same amount from start to finish or does it drift further away as the movie goes on?

15. ryan1331

ryan1331 Member

Using VDub, the original is converted onto my PC through the XviD MPEG-4 Codec, so I guess that comes out as an avi file.

What I found as far as the audio sync, the first 20 minutes were fine and then each segment varied, some segments were ok, but otherwise ranged from 250ms to 1000ms off (using VDub markings).

16. collarme

collarme Regular member

What format is the original when you first get it onto your PC? If it's mpeg2 there's no point converting to DivX/Xvid as you're goihg to be converting back to mpeg2 for the DVD. How do you get the original onto yout PC? Have you a capture card or do you transfer from a standalone DVD recorder?

17. ryan1331

ryan1331 Member

I have a VCR plugged into a Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U converter with composite A/V and that is then plugged into the PC usb. I use the VDub capture Xvid codec instead of the bundled software that the converter came with (WinDVD Creator).

I didn't realize (until your question) that I was taking an unnecessary step--- because DVD IS MPEG2 which is what it should remain as. So then, in looking at VDub, there is no MPEG2 codec (not sure), The only other thing I have is Nero4 vision, but on connecting this the Nero says it has to test the divice and that it is unable to configure it. This is getting swirled.

18. collarme

collarme Regular member

There's a good chance that it's using VDub to capture that is causing the audio sync problem. Stick with the software that came with the Plextor (WinDVD Creator is quite a powerful tool) and you'll be able to capture, edit, author and burn from within WinDVD. There's no reason why you shouldn't get excellent results so I wouldn't worry about using Nero yet.

19. ryan1331

ryan1331 Member

So, you are right again. While the VDub works it makes this particular case too difficult. Surprisingly, the main software works.

20. verinox1

verinox1 Member