1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regarding Thread Titles

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by vurbal, Dec 25, 2006.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Some of you may have noticed that I've started closing threads that have titles like "Help Please", "Help Me", "Need Help", etc,... You may be asking yourself exactly what my problem is. You may be thinking I'm being incredibly petty and if I have a problem with the thread titles I can change them myself. Just to make sure there's no confusion about this I'm going to let you know why I'm doing it.

#1 - It's against the rules
    Yeah it sounds like an excuse rather than a reason, but if you'll read through the rest of this post you should start to understand why it's a rule.

#2 - They're stupid thread titles
    The vast majority of the threads here are asking for help. Saying you're asking for help almost goes without saying. There's nothing wrong with saying you want help, but given the scope of every forum here it doesn't really say anything. Plus there are people who won't read those threads because the title doesn't indicate it's something they can help with. If you want to maximize your chances of getting help you should put something in the title that will draw in the people with the knowledge required to assist you.

#3 - It's rude
    If you want others to give you help with something the least you can do is put a minimal amount of information in the title. If you can't be bothered to put a little thought into your thread title why should other people put the effort into helping you?

Until now I've always either ignored this issue or changed thread titles myself. Today I've closed about a dozen of them and to me that's a ridiculous number. This is nothing personal and if your thread is closed for this reason you should feel free to start another thread for your question with an appropriate title.

Edit Jan 1, 07: If you have a complaint about my reason for closing a thread you should PM me, another mod, or an admin. Posting complaints in the Shoutbox of my AD profile won't get a response, but may get deleted. I have no intention of engaging in a public debate about my moderation. If you make a reasonable request for an explanation or wish to explain rationally why you disagree with my decision I'm more than happy to discuss it. If you want to bitch publicly you'll be doing it without my participation - although it may end up causing your account to be suspended temporarily or even permanently.

EDIT:

LOCO's abstraction...arrows added for emphasis.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Exaxctly! I can't stand a thread thats stated "Help Please", "Help Me", "Need Help", etc.. I don't even glimpse twice at thread that has this as there title.

Thanks -vurbal-

BTW, where have you been? seen you posting as of lately aswell as -oner-

3. vurbal

I took about a year off from AD. I took over a small network and it was taking all of my time getting it out of the stone age.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Nice one Vurbal.

It's always good to know what you're headed @... before you open the thread! LOL :)

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

/me is going to borrow a leaf out of vurbal's book as i spend far too much time correcting silly thread titles myself

6. Pants01

Pants01 Member

Sorry for putting stupid thread title i am NEW and BLONDE! However i was extremely desperate having spent 3 days trying to sort out my son's psp-Probably much like many people on the forum it's ok for you guys who are experts you've probably heard it all b4-but for people like me its hard! However point taken no offence, although i expect it won't be the last time you will read thread titles like that as more Newbies join your site in desperation for help. Thanks Pants

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

So, does this mean you mods will now finally close down 3 quarters of the console forums, with all the unrelated thread titles flying around there ?
    Need any help perhaps ?
    And can we now start reporting unrelated titles as well ?

/me hides behind ripper

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  8. creaky

now would i have been doing this already today, surely not :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Ahw d@mn, there go my hopes, shattered to bits...
    Guess i'll have to make that "move the console forums to blasteroids, please, they're driving us nuts!" petition after all... :-D

10. creaky

report away, all i need is ireland to come up with a relevant pic i can use for closure of lazily titled threads and i'll be sorted (and one re email addresses too ireland if you're reading).

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

/me wipes off all the blood and guts onto Dan X)

Lol, it's mean friday in the consoles today. Actually, I think that should be a new mod thing.. Mean Friday - Post cr@p on Mean Friday, and you're done for! ;-)

Heh :p

12. vurbal

Well 3/4 is probably an exaggeration. Probably no more than 72%
    Are you a psychiatrist?
    Oh that kind of help...

Yes feel free to report those threads.

13. rav009

rav009 Active member

Good idea I guess, Vurbal.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/441278

I wish I knew this before I read the HJT log, next time I'm not going to waste my time replying to a thread which is titled "help me" or something similar...I think sometimes people are worried/desperate for help and will just write anything like "Help" or "SLOW PC" to try and get a reply, hence the oddly titled threads. This should stamp it out.

14. ireland

ireland Active member

this is what i been posting in there asking for help threads

(users name)

i want ye to read this....

Regarding Thread Titles

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/440385#2663311

vurbal

Some of you may have noticed that I've started closing threads that have titles like "Help Please", "Help Me", "Need Help", etc,... You may be asking yourself exactly what my problem is. You may be thinking I'm being incredibly petty and if I have a problem with the thread titles I can change them myself. Just to make sure there's no confusion about this I'm going to let you know why I'm doing it.

#1 - It's against the rules
    Yeah it sounds like an excuse rather than a reason, but if you'll read through the rest of this post you should start to understand why it's a rule.

and read the rules
    here
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

15. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Actually Vurbal, with "need any help perhaps" i meant getting you modboys some new firearms :-D.

16. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Oh noes!

[​IMG]

/me hides!

Lol~

17. ireland

ireland Active member

creaky was that ye who knocked on me door..

heres what ye asked for..

[​IMG]

18. creaky

cheers ireland, all i'm missing is a pic re people posting email addresses if you could magic one up.

19. OneMember

OneMember Active member

I think this is something we have been expecting for a long time...

20. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Nice one, highly annoying, and yeah i have just blanked some of them and clicked on because of it.