1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD Torrents

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by CABeach, Jan 3, 2007.

1. G-Dizzle

G-Dizzle Regular member

why are they for the weak?

2. geoffbob3

geoffbob3 Regular member

use newsgroups or irc or ftp if you can get access

3. G-Dizzle

G-Dizzle Regular member

how do i do that

4. tailschao

tailschao Regular member

IRC:
    http://slyck.com/irc.php
    Newsgroups:
    http://slyck.com/ng.php
    FTP I've always wondered about, especially as I hardly see any mention of it on the 'net. And certainly no guides.

EDIT: apparently there's a new Newsgroup, alt.binaries.hddvd, but I can't see it on giganews, anyone know of it?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  5. mluu510

mluu510 Member

i downloaded the samples on those hd-dvd-rips 720p with x.264. the quality is absolutely beautiful! the file size also fit on a single layer dvd too. very nice, indeed.

6. davidml3

davidml3 Member

Question

Alot of these movies off usenet are split into two parts. How can I burn them to a disc properly and have it play on my 360 in 1080i? I tried but the 360 hd dvd drive cant read it and the regular drive says mixed media content.

7. prepster6

prepster6 Member

I got HD DVD 29 GB SuperMan returns off of newsgroups. My question is how do I play it while seeing it in High Def? I have tried PowerDVD but, I dont know how to do it. I have gotten the video to play but, the quality is bad, its not HD. Help me please! I have also tried writing an ISO of it and seeing it via Daemon Tools, but when I put full screen , the quality isnt good.

I have a 3.1ghz 2gb ram and 8800 GTS HDCP vid card.

8. goyankees

goyankees Regular member

Hey everybody!! Ive been starting to see alot of hd dvd rips on alt.binaries.games.xbox360, but their in .wmv. To put this on a dual layer or a dvd, would it be the same process as .ts files, where u need to pass thru movie maker, ulead, videoredo etc etc.. or is it a totally different process being it is an .wmv file!!

The thing is i own a couple of hd dvd, and im seeing a whole bunch of rips on alt.binaries.games.xbox360 but their .wmv, has anyone dabbled in converting .wmv hd dvd rips into dual layer or single layer??

thanks

9. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

Yes, can anybody please help? I too have some WMVHD videos from a.b.hdtv and a.b.games.xbox360. One of the posters even stated that he sized his files so they would fit on a DVD9, and be played on an Xbox 360. But he didn't say exactly how to do it. There are many requests throughout these forums for help on this topic, but very little real information. If anyone has had any luck doing this, please share your knowledge with the rest of us.

Thanks!

10. TAFSIR

TAFSIR Regular member

1) HI DEF FILMS PLAY ON YOUR NORMAL XBOX 360 DRIVE, THEY DO NOT REQUIRE A HD-DVD DRIVE. THEY WILL ALSO WORK ON YOUR PC REMEMBER YOU ONLY BENEFIT FROM HI DEF RIPS IF YOU OWN A HD TV. THE QUALITY ON THESE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN DVD!

2) TO PLAY THESE ON YOUR XBOX 360 YOU MUST HAVE THE DASHBOARD AUTUMN UPDATE INSTALLED, ITS THE UPDATE YOU NEED TO RUN THE LATEST GAMES SO YOU PROBABLY ALREADY HAVE IT INSTALLED. IF NOT YOU MUST GET IT AS WMV FILES WONT WORK WITHOUT IT

3) TO LOAD THESE DIRECT FROM DISK YOU JUST SWITCH ON YOUR 360,
    INSERT DISK,
    GO TO THE MEDIA MENU,
    SELECT VIDEO,
    SELECT CURRENT DISC,
    SELECT THE .WMV FILE,
    THEN PLAY

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

TAFSIR, why are you shouting??

12. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

TAFSIR, thanks for the reply! (Even if the CAPS were a bit over the top.) Anyway, after some trial and error I have learned that WMVHD files may be burned to a dual layer disk that will play in the Xbox using the standard DVD drive and component output. WMVHD files are basically .wmv files that use the VC-1 video codec. It is not as efficient as H.264, but it works well.

To answer goyankees question, it is a totally different (and esiser) process. The utilities that goyankees mentioned (moviemaker, etc.) are for creating a "playable" DVD, in other words the video equivalent of creating a red-book formatted CD that will play in any CD player. For the .wmv files, the trick is to burn the file on a dual layer DVD as a data disk! I used Nero 7 to burn the .wmv to a UDF data disk (DVD ROM), with the "Xbox compatibility mode" selected in the UDF options dialog.

When loaded into the Xbox, it needed to download (via the Xbox Live connection) a software update, but it did recognize and play the file. It seemed to get lost when FF'ing through large portions of the video, but other than that it worked great. However, when I burned two .wmv files on the same DVD it would only play the last one. However, I believe that putting each file in a separate directory may get around that issue.

13. goyankees

goyankees Regular member

Vidjunkie, thanks a million for the info! Since i last posted on this thread, i had ventured off into a beautiful world of (hd-ism???) I was considering burning all of the rips i downloaded of my owned originals but then i just thought it would be better to just stream the rips off an external hard drive to my 360 and its working perfectly... they run flawlessly and as stated b4 in this thread, with the autumn update wmv's are playable....

One question, anyone knows if .x264 or the other extensions for hd rips will be playable with an update for the 360 in the near future? I think that would be the quintessential and OBVIOUS add on for media playback for the 360 in hd.