1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to test my DVD burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jayscott, Feb 8, 2007.

1. jayscott

jayscott Member

I did a quick search and did not find anything on this... Anyone know if there is any way to test your dvd burner if it goes bad over time? Or if the laser goes bad? Before I buy another burner I would like to test this... I have already copied roughly 400 movies and 20 ps2 games with this drive.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

When you have trouble reading burnt and commercial disks, then you should be concerned your drive is dieing.

What model/make is your drive?

A good drive should last about 2 years under frequent use - I think that's about right? Anyway, with only 420 or so burns under your belt, you've got no problems. Some people on here are into the 2000 (something like that) burns with the same drive.

3. jayscott

jayscott Member

Sony DRU-710A

I have had if for about 3 years.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

5. jayscott

jayscott Member

Thanks, unfortunately...for me, I have the latest firmware... And I am using a Radio Shack Carbon Edge Laser Lens Cleaner once every few months. I haven't checked my Nero patches lately (I have a version of 6). I will do that now... Thanks for the comments. I have ordered another burner just in case. I figure it's only $50. Now I will have 2. Oh, and I am using what I hear are very high quality discs. Taiyo Yuden, familiar?

Jay

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok, well as long as it's up to date, then fine. Latest Nero 6 is 6.6.0.18 - not sure about Nero 7.

As for your choice of media, Taiyo Yuden are the best it gets. I'm very familiar with them ;-)

What drive did you buy?

7. jayscott

jayscott Member

And my pc is a 2.8Ghz Pentium D with a gig of ddr 400mhz pc3200. Soon to be 2 gigs.

8. jayscott

jayscott Member

I bought a Sony DRU830A. The reviews were good and I am happy with my current Sony burner even if it is going bad. In my opinion I feel I have used it quite a bit.

9. jayscott

jayscott Member

I just copied The guardian, and undisputed II... I will watch the guardian this weekend and see if all is ok. Thanks