1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rebuilder running in Linux

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by wolfmanz, Mar 7, 2007.

1. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

I have DVD Rebuilder Pro and CCE basic running on Linux with very good results. My friend who also built my current computer is the one who turned me on to Linux and set everything up for me. Since then I have been very impressed with it's performance compared to Windows XP. I thought I would post a copy of the guide he has been working on how to set this up, this is still a work in progress. Also he is looking for people to try it out and get some feedback.

DVD Rebuilder in Linux

Here is a rough draft of my guide, no screen shots yet. I would really like some testers to try it out once it is finished. This is still a work in progress and any and all input will be appreciated.

DVD Rebuilder in Linux using Wine

This guide is for DVD Rebuilder Pro or Free on Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 and the latest version of Wine. I will also cover the installation of DVD Decrypter, Ripit4Me, and ImgBurn. VobBlanker also works well using this set-up.

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix. Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.

Configuring Wine
    Most of the most common configuration changes can be done with the Winecfg tool.

1. In terminal type:
    winecfg

2. Change the setting under tab "Applications" for Windows Version to "Windows NT 4.0". DVD Decrypter needs this setting.

[​IMG]

3. Select the tab "Drives".

[​IMG]

4. Press the button "Autodetect" to let Winecfg automatically detect the drives available on your system.

[​IMG]

5. On some systems it might be needed to also select the device letter for your DVD reader/burner and then press the "Show Advanced" button and then set the "Type" to "CD-ROM" in the drop-down list. When you are done, press the "Apply" button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. You are now done and can press the OK button to close down Winecfg.

Downloads
    You will need the following DLL’s mfc42.dll, msvcp60.dll, advpack.dll, asycfilt.dll, comcat.dll, msvbvm60.dll, oleaut32.dll, olepro32.dll, stdole2.tlb. All of these need to be placed into the .wine\drive_c\windows\system32 folder

1. Download and install DVD Decrypter

2. Download and install the Ripit4Me installer from the official site!

3. Trespasser’s NO DVD fix. Open up your text editor and type “Welcome to Ripit4Me” then save this file as “Ripit4Me” Create a new file named “TempIFOs” and place the Ripit4Me text file inside. All you need to do now is copy and paste the TempIFOs file into .wine/drive_c/windows/temp folder.

4. Download and install DVD Shrink

5. Download and install ImgBurn

6. Download and install Cinema Craft Encoder, I use CCE Basic and it works great.

7. Download and install the DVD Rebuilder installer, If you plan on using the pro version you will need to request the key file via e-mail (dvd-rb@dvd-rb.com). Just make sure you include your registered e-mail address and the SYSTEM ID that is shown on the registration screen. After downloading the key you will need to place it in the .wine\drive_c\Program Files\DVD-RB PRO folder

(Screen shot Under Construction)

Next we need to set oleaut.dll to native by running winecfg

8. Under the Applications tab
    Add application from menu ie Rebuilder.exe

[​IMG]

9. Under Libraries tab
    add oleaut32 and edit it so it is " native " windows only , click apply etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. It's also a good idea to first run both DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter before you run RipIt4me for the first time. Insert a DVD in your DVD reader/burner and check that they can detect the inserted disc. If this works, then you should have no problems with disc detections/readings in RipIt4Me. If you get detection/reading problems, check the settings in winecfg..

Added some screen shots and still in heavy testing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Let's make this sticky.

3. janrocks

janrocks Guest

You might want to add this link as a source for the dll files for people like me who have no windows disks/installs

http://www.dll-files.com/

Comment.. does not work at all on a 2.4.x kernal. The non-native apps can't access the scsi emulated dvd drives. This seems to only work properly on that non-final ubuntu version. I tried it on breezy and wine crashed every time on decrypter with an unspecified error 1.
    I will keep trying, and again later in the week when I upgrade to etch.
    I have a working de-css pure linux solution. It could be the errors and crashes are related to the inability of windows programs to access other linux programs, like (for instance) growisofs.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  4. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  5. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

6. lily_aft

lily_aft Guest

Spam spam spammity spam spam spam.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Way to go Wolfmanz! I like it!

8. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

I've got the free version running in Ubuntu Feisty right now but I get that "Runtime 5 Error" When I try to open up the disc in my dvd drive.

..and I haven't even gotten to installing the encoders ...:(....

Linux + Wine + DVD-RB=Not Working For Me :'(

9. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

What program are you trying to open the disc in your drive with? DVD Rebuilder will not open a copy protected disc.

10. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

ohh.....Shoot I forgot that DVD-RB couldn't do that :/...

My bad!

but either way; when I try running DVD Decrypter under wine in ubuntu; it doesn't even recognize my dvd drive. And I even followed all the instructions it says to do in winecfg....

....so idk what to do because the even funnier thing is that I was able to get DVD Shrink working perfectly normal under wine. But DD still won't recognize the drive.....

...I'm kind of at a loss right now...

11. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

I also had drive detection issues with Ubuntu Feisty. I thought I had it all working then it became very buggy during testing. There is something different in the way Feisty works, as I also had some DVD playback issues as well. That is why I have gone back to Edgy as my main Linux set-up while I continue to test other Distro's. Edgy has been very stable on my system and is used 90% of the time. Almost never boot into Windows anymore except for a couple of programs and to keep it updated.

Linux may not be perfect, but you can make it what you want with a little tweaking and research on the forums.

12. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Definitely true. Maybe I'll give edgy a try though since a lot of ppl. say it's less problematic.

....It's just funny though because think: If Linux was able to perfectly integrate the use of windows api; then Linux I'm sure would quickly become the most popular OS and Microsoft and Vista would be eff'd over for sure;....

....nice thought isn't it? :D lolz..

13. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Thanks for the instructions Wolmanz. One thing I am curious about though is the difference in encoding speed using CCE SP 2.7 through wine vs on it's native OS. Could someone with CCE set up on on a portioned windows/linux drive give some speed comparisons?

Also, is feisty still giving people compatibility problems?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  14. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Following your guide I managed to get Ripit4me and shrink working, but not rebuilder pro. Every time I try to open a source file I get "error condition--unable to read IFO..." Doing some digging around I found that this error is (at least on windows which I personally never ran into) associated with corrupt or protected IFOs. I'm very sure however that the data is not corrupt or protected so does anyone have suggestions?

15. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

@klemperal

What version of DVD Rebuilder Pro are you using? I am still using older version 1.25.0 of Rebuilder, been to busy with other projects lately.

Is this error occurring with all movies or only the newest releases?

If I get some time over the next couple of days I will install ver. 1.26.3 and run some tests.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  16. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

I am using 1.263 and the error occurs on all movies using Edgy. Unfortunately I don't have access to the version your using as I donated for pro at 1.26. I am sure that it's not an issue of the VTS files being protected or corrupted as they process and backup fine using RB Pro in my windows partition. Any idea what the problem could be? Also, is there a legitimate way for me to get and test the older versions of RB Pro?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  17. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

I just finished upgrading to ver. 1.26.3 and ran a Sony release through R4Me and Rebuilder without any warnings when opening the source directory. I will run a few more tests later on to make sure the problem is not with Rebuilder.

Some things that might help are the version numbers of wine and R4Me you are using.

Also are your Rebuilder destination and DVD rip folders in your Home directory and not in the .wine folder.

18. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

I am using RI4M 1.71 and Wine .9.44. The input output folders for RB are in my home folder and not in .wine.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  19. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Your problem may be with the version of Wine you are using, I still have 0.9.30 on my Edgy 6.10 set-up. The newer versions of Wine also break ImgBurn.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7512

When I had Feisty 7.04 installed the Wine ver. was 0.9.4xx and there were a lot of bugs compared to the older proven set-up I had been and currently use.

One more question how did you install Wine? The newest version listed in synaptic on Edgy is 0.9.30.

20. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

I'm 90% sure I did it through command line as I didn't find it on the edgy package downloads. I'm still extremely new to Linux so could you please let me know how to access synaptic so I could download the version your talking about as a package (I hope I'm asking the right questions)? Also, I've been doing some reading on Crossover--do you know if people have been getting RB working through that?