1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Action Replay Codes on your R4/M3 Simply

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by DVDBack23, May 7, 2007.

1. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Here is a very quick guide I found on how to use Action replay codes on your R4 card.
    I only give instructions for the R4 but this works on the M3 simply as well, you just need to get the newest firmware, 1.18.

This is verified by myself, and it works great :)

Ok first, you need the latest R4 firmware, v 1.18 (as of writing):
    http://www.r4ds.com/download-en.htm or
    http://www.r4official.com/download/r4_v1.18_kernel.html

Next you want the Code Manager from Datel:
    US version:
    http://us.codejunkies.com/nds_actionreplay/SetupUS1_05.exe
    Euro version:
    http://us.codejunkies.com/nds_actionreplay/SetupEU1_05.exe

Finally you want the R4 Cheat code editor:
    http://www.r4ds.com/download-en.htm
    or if the site is down, then get it here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/32954884/Cheat_code_editor.rar

Now it gets easy :-D
    Update you MicroSD card with the new firmware
    Install the Code Manager.
    1. Under Subscriptions right click Codejunkies US Games and select copy if you want all or just do this for games you want.
    2. Under My Codelists right click and select paste.
    3. Let it import the games into your codelist.
    4. Once it has completed go this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Datel\Action Replay Code Manager\local_codelists

Find the XML, it should say something along the lines of customcodelist.xml

Open the Code Editor and go to file and press Import XML file.

Import the one you just made and then go to file and Save As cheat database. Save it as usrcheat.dat.

Now open the card again and navigate to the system folder. Copy the new usrcheat.dat file to that folder and you are done :)

If you have any question, post here and I will help you ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. mamsa

mamsa Guest

Hi... thanks for the guide ...but..

I did every thing but when I navigate trough the games in my ds "r4"
    I don't get to see the "Y" button option to activate the cheats ...

its like I did nothing .... is there more to it than that ?

does the name of the rom must match the name of the code ??

and should there be a file named cheats.dat in my system folder? cause there isn't .

3. mamsa

mamsa Guest

Never mind ... I forgot to update the firmware ;)

it works great now thanks

4. DVDBack23

glad you got it to work ;)

5. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

this is interesting.
    im gonna try it with my ds link.

6. stryker69

stryker69 Guest

thanks for this information, i just got my m3 simply and a action replay for my ds. the info worked great with no problems for me

7. H4xx0r89

H4xx0r89 Member

I have a m3 ds simply and cannot get this to work. Its 1.04fw and I put the cheats as cheat.dat in my "_system_" folder. Still nothing happens when I press Y on any game. Can someone help me out?

8. DVDBack23

did you rename it usrcheat.dat like the guide said? ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  9. H4xx0r89

H4xx0r89 Member

Yeah I tried that too. Still nothing.

10. DVDBack23

I'm not sure what to tell you, the method works just fine for everyone else, all i can say is to go back and make sure you didn't miss any steps.

11. Dasaan

Dasaan Member

I'm having problems getting this to work on my m3 simply ds too. I've tried following the instructions a few time with no success. Do you know the md5 hash for the firmware file and also rom 0005, the game I'm trying to test with.

12. stryker69

stryker69 Guest

i cant seem to get this to work @ all either i have the m3 simply with a 1gig micro sd kingston. please help

13. stryker69

stryker69 Guest

14. oakcapy

oakcapy Member

For The Aciton Replay.Do we need the Action Replay system???

Or Is A Game?

15. DVDBack23

this is if you have an r4 or an m3simply ;)

16. dust24

dust24 Member

thanks for the guide
    i tried to follow all your steps, but in the end, when i opened my r4 it displayed a message (my r4 is in chinese, don't ask why :p) not sure what the message said, but it ended with three !!! if that helps. Anyways i think it has something to do with how i updated my r4 firmware. it's the first time for me updating the r4. i believe i made a mistake somewhere. what i did was i extracted the files in the .rar replacing all the existed _SYSTEM_, _DS_MENU_, _DS_MSHL_ etc. then, i assumed that the SHELL folder was now being called moonshl, so i deleted my shell folder. then, inside the _system_ folder, when i was pasting my usrcheat.dat, there was another .dat file called CHEAT. i deleted it assuming it was an already given cheat file.

17. stryker69

stryker69 Guest

when useing the code manager part. how do you update youre code list, because i would like to add spiderman 3 to my code list. other than that im set to go...thanx for youre help

18. balmung03

balmung03 Member

This is a great guide, but it seems that I have a slight problem. I'll try to be as specific as possible so hopefully my question can be answered.

Since I just got my R4 a few days ago, it had nothing on the microSD card at all, so I downloaded the 1.08 firmware as the guide suggests. I downloaded the Code Manager, and installed it to my computer, but when I run it, it just shows this.

http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=actionreplayscreenrb7.jpg

I'm not sure why it's waiting for the DS, maybe it's supposed to link to it through wifi or something, but instead I simply put in the CD that came with the R4 and booted up the code editor, opened the default database (which only contained Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Mario Kart DS, and Elite Beat Agents), and added to it a small list of codes for Pokemon Diamond (which I found from a website), and then saved it as usrcheat. Looking at the file, it was different from the CHEAT file in the folder, so I renamed the file to usrcheat.dat and this fixed the problem (instead of being a "file" it was now a "video CD movie" like the CHEAT file. I then added the ROMs I had straight to the main directory, right after the _DS_MENU file, loaded the microSD into the R4, and turned on the system. I noticed that almost all the games on the list had the (Y) Cheat option, except for Pokemon and Phoenix Wright. Confused by this (since I have more games than just those two, and only four should be in the usrcheat.dat file, I opened up the Code Editor and tried opening the CHEAT file, but I got an error message saying "Database format error!" I'm confused why since I have Pokemon in the usrcheat.dat file, it's not allowing me to use the cheats I have for the game. The only thing I could think of is that either the names of the .nds file and the filename in the Code Editor need to be the same, or the Game ID I entered for Pokemon Diamond was incorrect. However, I have the filename in both Code Editor and .nds file as "Pokemon Diamond", so it doesn't seem like this is the problem, and the Game ID I got off of a website as "ADAE 636791c0". I'm at a loss as to why I cannot see the cheat option when I try to play Pokemon, as well as why the Code Editor cannot open the CHEAT file, and I'm hoping someone can answer me.

I apologize for this being so long of a post, but I was trying to be specific as to allow for the more efficient answering of my question. If there is any other information needed to answer my question, please let me know and I will post back as soon as I can. Thank you.

19. Doctor_DS

Doctor_DS Regular member

i'm still lost with all this thing. i got the code from datel, i try to follow all the instruction, and at the end it make a cheat code fiile, but it blank.

20. oakcapy

oakcapy Member

I have An R4 But Where do we download the game???