1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD

Lot of info about, still a lot of confusion. I will try to make this as simple as possible without getting to technical.

Firstly, If the following setup is too difficult for you, feel free to try the Chimp v2.4 method. I have no experience in this, however others have had results.

Chimp v2.4 Tutorial:
    http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-260.html

Ok, what do we need

* Xbox
    * Torx 20, 15 and 10 screwdrivers
    * IDE Hard Drive
    * CD Burner\Writer
    * Xboxhdm v1.9
    * LiveInfo
    * Clean 5960 Dash files

All files can be found here...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450#3371151

With all that now in hand, we need to make sure we have the most important part of our operation...The EEPROM

The eeprom is held on a chip on the motherboard. It's a code that locks the HHD and MB together. The HDD is supplied with this code, without it the new HDD will be rejected!

* How do we get it? The easiest way is get it via a dashboard like EvoX. In order for you to get it, start the softmod procedure and stop at the following screen.

[​IMG]

* From this screen we have the ability to backup up the eeprom and also to FTP.

For instructions on how to Softmod: http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?t=9685

For instructions on how to FTP: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/523607#3165659
    (Network settings for the Softmod dash are found in 'Settings' on the list, just scroll down.)

* Ok, once you have successfully backed up the eeprom, we need to FTP into the Xbox to get the eeprom file. Please refer to the FTP guide above if you are confused.

* Once you successfully FTP the console, you'll need to find the eeprom file. It's located in E:\Udata\2xxxxxxxxxx\0000000000000\Backup.

* Copy this file across to your computer and open 'LiveInfo'. Open the eeprom file in LiveInfo and ensure that the serial number matches the serial number found on the sticker beneath your Xbox console

[​IMG]

* If all is well, you should now have your eeprom safely on your PC. Your Xbox is now safe! No matter what happens from here out, you can always recover it!

**PLEASE NOTE***
    Under NO circumstances should you EVER use the HDD passkey. Do not write it down, and more importantly, do NOT try to lock\unlock a drive with one! You will end up with a paperweight of a drive 8\10 times! The ONLY solution for locking\unlocking is via the eepom files.

* Now we start making our new drive. Unpack Xboxhdm v1.9 to your HDD. It should look like this...

[​IMG]

* Open the 'linux' Folder.
    Download and insert the new Dash files (Link is above) into the 'C' folder.
    Within the 'E' folder, make two new folders and call them 'TDATA' + 'UDATA'. Both these folders are empty.
    Within the 'eeprom folder, insert your 'eeprom.bin' that we salvaged from the Xbox.

Your folders should now look like this...

'linux' Folder

[​IMG]

'C' Folder

[​IMG]

'E' Folder

[​IMG]

'eeprom' Folder

[​IMG]

* If all is in place, navigate back to the original 'xboxhdm' folder and click on 'make-iso-win.bat'

[​IMG]

* A DOS box will appear and make the 'linux.iso' file

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

* We now need to burn the 'linux.iso' file. We'll use Nero as our example.

*Open Nero and select 'CD' from the top right and then 'Burn Image To Disc'.

[​IMG]

* Click the drop down menu for 'File Of Type' and select 'Image Files'. Our file will appear (assuming you are in the correct directory), select it and click 'Open'

[​IMG]

* Burn the image as usual to CD.

USING XBOXHDM v1.9

* Shutdown your PC, unplug the computers HDDs, leaving only the cD-Rom connected. The CD-Rom should be on the 'Secondary cable' (The other cable).

* Power on the computer with the CD we created in the drive. If your BIOS is setup to boot from a CD, you should be greeted with this screen.

[​IMG]

* Connect the HDD you wish to format to the 'Primary Master' IDE cable. (Don't forget to give it power) Allow a minute for the drive to be recognised.

* Press "1" and then Type 'xboxhd'

[​IMG]

* We then want to press "1" again 'Build a new HD from scratch'

[​IMG]

* Just keep typing yes...

[​IMG]

* When it's finished, restart the computer until you get to this screen again.

[​IMG]

* Type "3" this time

* At the next screen type 'lockhd -a'

[​IMG]

* Turn off your computer, reconnect your PC HDD, install the new Xbox HDD and you are done!!!

If you got this far and everthing is working, your Xbox will boot just like a Stock console.

If you would now like to Softmod it: http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?t=9685

If your HDD is larger then 137GB, you will also need to format a G:\

In order to do that, you will need the UnleashX dashboard.
    Go to the 'Format' menu, enter 'Xbox' as the password and the 'Format G:\'. The rest of the space will now be available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to give credit to all who helped devise these programs, people who've helped with pics and also all those who share their wisdom with us free of charge!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Thank you. Finally, this tutorial is simple and real easy to understand that includes all the necessary information as to how to create a drive via an eeprom. The pics are a huge plus, anyone who comes across this tutorial will know how to create a new drive. This should reduce the number of new forum threads regarding this subject.

3. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

Dumb question. How do I make my upgraded xbox HDD useable on my PC for extra storage again?

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ 6Ripper9

Type 'unlockhd -a'

[​IMG]

5. shadow213

shadow213 Guest

Hey chunkhead.I have a softmod installed but i have no format menu. It just has the other normal things such as system ect. So doi need a new softmod?

6. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

scroll all the wya down..more options are hidden

7. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

scroll all the way
    down..more options are hidden

8. shadow213

shadow213 Guest

Nope Under the systems tab/Bar whatever you want to call it there are 4 options on my xbox Setting's Game saves manager Misc and Skins

9. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

@chunkhead: Thanks. I can't believe I didn't think of that myself, lol.

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ shadow213

You may need to update the UnleashX Dash, get AID v4.01.

11. shadow213

shadow213 Guest

Thanks i DL'd a recent softmod installer and it has worked, Yey i have 250gb HDD Buyah
    Thanks All and Cya

12. shmittyz

shmittyz Guest

Good tutorial, I have one problem tho. when it starts installing files to the new hdd from the Linux iso cd, I got a message saying no linux cd present?? I'm trying to build a drive from scratch.. I'm only using an 80gb Western Digital drive. But i think that anymore is really over kill since I can only play one at a time.. And I can always FTP to switch libraries from my pc to xbox and vice versa.. Uhm if anyone could help it would be mucho appreciated. I'm the king of scratched disc's. So it would be very helpful if i could figure this out! thanx

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Did you use the files I gave you or your own?

14. alecuba

alecuba Member

chunkhead, thanks first of all....now, i have my xbox softmodded with unleash x, what would be different? do i need to switch to evox? or i can omit that and do it with unleash x? thanks again!!!

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

There's no EvoX section in the tutorial...

It makes no difference which dash you have! ;)

16. alecuba

alecuba Member

thanks...ill post back when i do the upgrade...it wont be soon tho..but ill still post my results....thanks

17. snofleas

snofleas Member

softmodded my xbox with unleashx. tried upgrading hd using this tutorial, did everything so far, but when i try to load the xboxhdm on my pc, i get

'Disk error 80, AX = 424D, drive 9f
    Boot failed: press a key to retry...'

Can not, for the life of me, figure out what i'm doing wrong.
    tried reburning over and over.
    tried older versions of xboxhdm.
    tried xboxhdm from different mirrors. (or xbins)

i cant find anyone else with this problem.
    is my hd just incompatible?

if anyone could help, id be eternally grateful.

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Is the CD\DVD Drive set in the correct order in your BIOS? You'll want it to be first!

19. snofleas

snofleas Member

i have it set to boot, but my bios only has bot on or off. so i have cd on and hd on, but there is no hd. i can get it to boot to the menu, but nothing beyond there.

20. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Ah, ok...

Insert the IDE cable into the Xbox HDD after you get to the first screen. It's having trouble recognising your HDD.

If that fails, try a few times, otherwise you may need a BIOS update...