1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK, just so you guys/gals know!! I was half asleep on this burn and forgot to reduce the burn speed. LOL. Man are these some pretty mountains?

Dynex DL burned on LH-18A1P @ 8X (ooops) stat

Dynex DL burned on LH-18A1P @ 8X (ooops) scan

Take a gander and laugh.......I"m gonna try 2.4X next time and see if these things will burn at all. Maybe I'll get something worth keeping. LOL. All I know is they don't like 8X for you know what. hehehe. I'm not sure there is many DL media out there that can handle that speed anyway. Although I will admit the "first" half of the disc scanned pretty danged good, PIE's were low and PIF's had a spike of 4; which isn't to bad for a DL disc. :S

Happy burning to all. :D

...gm

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@greensman
    dang i'd hate to try and climb those mountains..lol all them peeks and valley's lmao.

were those Dynex rated at 8x? or was they a fun overburn?
    i know verbatim has the 8x DL disc, i wonder what they look like burnt at 8x?

micro center has some garbbage winndata DL disc i think they are like 10 for $10 might just get some to play with and see what they do.

3. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Actually, Verbatim has some 10x DLs out. Saw them on Newegg for about $3.00 ea plus shipping.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I almost picked up some Dynex +R DL (15 for 16.99) at Best Buy today just for the helluva it. Now if they would have been printable definitely would have but instead picked up 50 Verb +R's for 11.99.

5. dutchmo

dutchmo Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  6. greensman

greensman Regular member

I almost spilled my beer when I saw the little puppy on the screen. :p Good to see you binkie7. :D Picked up some of the Dynex DL's but they may not be to good. LOL. MIHK. Try some more tonight and really see what's what.

dutchmo you really shouldn't say so much. LOL. NOT a bad scan for that media. The Sony MIJ do a little better. LOL. TY's of course except for the 16X DVD+R's.

.....gm

7. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

lol - now I'd hate to see you spilling your beer :)

I'll have to post a scan here or there to stop the beer spillage :)

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

I don't have many options left with these Dynex. LOL. I got one good burn and one mediocre one as well and nothing on the last 3. LOL. At least I only wasted $16.99+tax.

L@@K at this and laugh. I won't post another one of these until I get something that is worthy. :)

Dynex DL stat

Dynex DL scan

...gm

@cincyrob,
    8X was not what I wanted but got it anyway. LOL. They are rated at 8X but I can't see them ever hitting a good burn with that speed. I've tried 2.4, 4, and 8X but not great results yet. Gonna go back to the LH-20A1S and see how she performs. :D

Just for the edification of others. THIS is a prime example of paying for what you get. :D I'm at about $3 per successful disc, could've purchased the NEW 10X Verbs for that price. LOL.

9. dutchmo

dutchmo Member

The first scan I posted was from a batch of Sony MIJ that I purchased over a year ago that I had only used for ps2 games, but now I'm just going to use them for movies along with Sony MIT, Verbatim, and 16x TY's which I will post some scans for later

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i just dont understand the scan on the DL disc. on just about everyone ive seen teh first layer has a great scan and then the second layer looks like it belongs in the junk pile.im just wondering if these scans are really reading the second layer that good.. im usre it plays fine in our drives but are the set up to do a scan like that???

you all got me wondering about the DL's now. im gonna get me some of them cheap windata DL's today on my way to work. heck if they are like there single layer they might code out as verbatim...lol

ive seen a few of you mention a 10x DL verb is that smart burning them that fast?
    has anyone tried the double sided disc? those are some pretty costly disc themselves....
    ok im just rambling now someone tell me to shut up..lol

11. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@cincyrob,

I first encountered the funky 2nd layer DL scans with the Riteks about a year ago. If you look at the Verb DL scans (here's one), you will notice it doesn't have that characteristic.

Verbatim got the layer break right. As far as I've seen, no one else has.

12. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

I went through a test spindle of CMC 4X DVD-R DL on a Plextor PX-716A with firmware version 1.10 and found the entire spindle to have scans on both the Plextor/PlexTools and Lite-On DH20A1/K-Probe to be as good as the best of Verbatim DL. This is very odd because there is little support elsewhere for either CMC DL media or for DVD-R DL in general. I would not recommend these media on any other drive unless one tested them first to see the results--and production lots may also vary from test lots. Sometimes one just has to scratch his/her head when surprising findings pop up. (All the discs played well with a Pioneer DV-59AVi even though this model usually hangs up at the layer transition for all recorded DL media and has a noticeable lag on DVD-ROM DL.)

I believe that DL media were introduced far too soon, but the bigger improvements have been with the newer editions of drives and firmware than with the media, although they have also seen significant improvements in quality and yield.

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hello JoeRyan!! Hope all is well in your world. :) I agree with the drives not "up to date" with the media right now. I haven't messed with enough DL media to really know what works best with my drives but I will go on a limb and say that MIHK media in general isn't VERY good. lol.

Had to post this for my friend cincyrob. :p

RITEK R03 burned at 8X on the LH-20A1S Lite-on. :D

Stats

Scan

Funny how you mention that you haven't gotten a 98 score in a while and here one pops up for me. hehehe. Nice scan on decent media but I still like the Yudens and Verbs better. MORE consistent. :)

....gm

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@greensman

id say thats a sweet scan but im here at work and cant see it..lol but i only have about a hour left and im on my way home. well thats a good thing we talked up a 98. guess im gonna have to get back to burning on the fly to get me one..lol

@JOERYAN

can you put some insight on why the second layer of the DL disc look so ugly on the scans? is my theroy right about the nero program just isnt set up to read that second layer as good as the first? or is it that our drives just arent as good as they should be to actually write to that second layer the way it should??? or am i just looking at it the wrong way???

and i wasnt able to get to microcenter to get some of those DL windata disc to give them a try.

here is a link to a 20 pack of them for $14.99
    but im sure they have 10 packs of them also
    http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0263405

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Why didn't you get any of the DL's rob?? That's $.75 each!! Even if you get 50% success rate it's pretty cheap. LOL. Heck buy a 20 pack and I'll split the cost with you. :D I'm starting to like these DL's for some reason. The ones that I purchased aren't the greatest but I like the premise behind them and I like the ability to back-up the entire disc if I really like the movie w/o quality loss. I think that binkie7 and I talked about that once. BUT back then DL sales were pretty weak and not worth the money. Still not really worth it but the idea is running around in my head anyway. Talk about rambling. :p

....gm

16. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

I've talked to Nero engineers about why some people do not like the software's handling of DL media. They claim there is nothing wrong with the way it works, but some people like the ability to choose where the layer break occurs instead of having the software automatically choose it. (Both L0 and L1 must have identical data sizes. Simply breaking the video data in half means that sometimes the break can come in the middle of a critical scene, and the slight pause will be irritating. Movie mastering engineers try to alter the compresssion schemes so that the break comes during a change in the scenes and is less noticeable. Some recording software also allows that. Nero doesn't.

I think that most of the problems lie with the drives and their match with the media. A DL disc that has a poor second layer on one drive can have a much better performance if recorded on a different drive. That suggests to me that the drive has more influence than the medium. Supporting evidence is that older DL drives still produce "unbalanced" DL recordings with one layer or the other having a much greater level of PIE errors than the other. A newer drive using those same discs typically shows better results. The only thing that changed was the drive and its firmware.

Where discs had their biggest problem in manufacturing was in trapping bubbles when the outer layer was applied to the inner layer or leaving debris when the photopolymer stamper was removed from the disc. It took Verbatim nearly a year to figure out how to resolve these problems, and they had a big advantage when they introduced DL media. Everyone else had to play catch up, and the bubbles where a big problem. Vacuum chambers were one expensive solution. Finally, Ricoh took a gamble on eliminating the photopolymer stamper that created debris and was tossed out and using an upside-down or "inverse" stack method of making DL media. The good news is that this method improves yield and reduces costs substantially. The bad news is that IS DL media have to be restricted to newer 8X discs because the older drives have trouble recording them unless their firmware is changed--and how many drive manufacturers can afford to have engineers support 3-year old drives when a new one costs only $40?

I think that DL media will become much less expensive with the expansion of IS manufacturing later this year. Buying a new drive will not only allow recording on these new media but will also show better results on 2.4X/4X and DVD-R DL discs. It's a matter of buying a new drive for $40 or continuing to pay $150 for drives and have our older ones supported beyond 6 months. The consumer appears to prefer cheaper new drives than long-term support of older models.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well that all makes sence. even to me..lol so if your gonna burn a DL disc you should let the program(like nero) decide where the break should be instead of doing it yourself. which i dont/havent burnt many DL disc maybe 10-15 and that was when i first started bruning and didnt know what i was doing.

18. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@JoeRyan,

I know the main reason I went away from using Nero to burn DL disks was the inability to control the burning speed. Nero defaulted and greyed out the burn speed selection at MAX. I've since upgraded to Nero 7 and have neglected to see if the new version has re-enabled the burn speed control.

I know Verbatim has gotten the DL layer break right. If you say the 8x & up DLs from other companies are the new manufacturing process I'll have to track some down and give them a try, especially if I can find some Ricohs (not Ritek). Personally, I've burned hundreds of the DLs and with the exception of the Verbs, haven't found any that handle the layer break well. I seem to remember that Ritek was better with the layer break about 1½ years ago but not lately. I also prefer the printables which not everyone offers.

19. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

When the choice of speeds is greyed out in Nero, that usually means that the drive does not recognize the M-code. I'm surprised that it is still greyed out in Nero 7 for Verbatim DL media since they are the ones for which every DL drive has firmware. That may be a clue that something else is amiss; but if your DL recordings still work, it may not be worth changing anything.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i just got back form microcenter. i got the 10pc windata 8x dvd+r DL for $8.99. ill have to wait till i get home tonight to give them a try.. BTY they are made in Hong Kong... :(~ heck its only 9 bucks..lol im wanting to see what they code out as... i have had windatas from microcenter before code out as verbs and TY's lol gotta love the fake stuff...lol