1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help, wifi problem after i reinstall my os

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nicz888, Aug 8, 2007.

1. nicz888

nicz888 Regular member

i just reinstall my os (xp) on my laptop, but i can't use my wifi anymore.
    the wifi is built in, the os (also xp that's original install) gone mad so i reinstall a fresh copy of xp on my hp laptop.

i use to just turn filp the swith on the front of my laptop and i can use wifi. but after i reinstall the new os nothing happen when i flip the switch. i don't see a wifi network on the bottom right corner. so what do i do.

i guess it is probably have to do with a driver install but i don't know where to look.
    thanks.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yup its a driver issue. You probably will have to go to HP's site on a friends PC and download the drivers from there.

3. Wilbow

Wilbow Guest

Do you have an ethernet cable you can use on your laptop also? You may be able to get the driver via 'device manager'. ie:- right click 'My Computer' select 'Manage', click 'Device Manager'. The built in Wifi device should have a '?' next to it. Double click on it and follow the prompts to allow windows to search for the driver.

4. nicz888

nicz888 Regular member

the ethenet cable modem isn't not working after i plug it in. i guess i need the driver for that.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You should have a disk that came with the laptop that has all of the drivers on it, including the ethernet drivers.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually some companies don't give driver disks to their customers. Their reasoning is that if they have to reinstall windows they will have to use the CD that comes with the laptop for it. That version of windows comes with the right drivers so they don't need an additional driver CD.

7. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Gotta love companies like HP for when things like this come up. Dont bother calling them. they will just tell you to use the recovery disk. You need to know what the hardware is and who made it. Here is something to try.

Go into device manager and remove the driver for the device. Select show hidden devices and make sure it is not also listed there. Now hit "Search for hardware". Watch carefully with a pen ready. When the ballon comes up saying it found new hardware watch it closley cause it may do something like this.

displays the following
    1) new hardware found
    2) name of hardware and maker (this goes away fast)
    3) new hardware installed and ready to use (if it was installed before with no error or a add new hardware wizzard will show up)

If this gives you a name you then know what to search for. this tip does not always work. Good luck. I will see if I can find a hardware identifier or something to help.

Which HP do you have?

-Del

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

HP's website has all the drivers.

9. nicz888

nicz888 Regular member

god d*** it, i finally got the wifi to work, but guess what , the audio is not working now.

first of all i install a fresh retail copy of xp on my laptop.
    the hp model is hp pavilion dv9005us
    and i have install some audio driver but it telling me no modem device found. but everytime i restarted i get the found new hardware pop up.

i totally regret to not create the recovery disc, that would my life eaisier, i was told after talking to some online tech support AFTER i already FORMAT THE RECOVERY DRIVE.

oh, somehow i am getting another issue my computer are not shutting down properly it freeze at the shut down screen and i just reinstall the os,

so guys please help me here thank you so much.

10. nicz888

nicz888 Regular member

anywhere i can dl a copy of recovery disc.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

12. nicz888

nicz888 Regular member

everything is good except,
    this one
    » Conexant High Definition Audio Driver
    and this one
    » HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

i install it but it keep telling me that no modem device was found.

and when i try to restart after install this

Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

i keep getting freeze at the blue window is shutting down screen i wait for like 5 minutes and still not shutting down( at first i thought it was doing some update but i try to restart several times and it is still not working.

13. nicz888

nicz888 Regular member

could it be the os i am installed,
    because the preinstall os on the hp notebook was xp media edition
    and i just install a old copy of xp professional, i got from years ago.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I remember when I had a old Compaq with XP home and I upgraded to XP Media Center the normal drivers didn't work. Compaq then had updates drivers that supported media center. So when you install the drivers make sure it says XP pro. It should say something about the operating systems it is meant for in the first screen when you run it.

15. nicz888

nicz888 Regular member

someone help me here. still getting errors when installing the other two driver ^^^^^.

16. Wilbow

Wilbow Guest

I dont use bit torrent, but a friend of mine downloaded an image of an xp install cd for me, so I could reinstall a corrupt install using a genuine and unique CoA. You should be able to d/l a Media centre edition from one of the torrent sites.

17. nicz888

nicz888 Regular member

i did that and now. i am more screw.
    i got the audio to work and the two driver install perfectly.
    but i can't get it to install the wifi driver
    it keep telling me

ikerel.exe is not found rpc is unavaliable.

i try to update to service pack 2
    but got a access deny. WTF

18. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Ok you have a good start. you may have to manualy get the rest of the driver from another system. Find somebody with the exact computer or very similar. Copy the files from that system that setup is looking for and place them on your system. Keep doing this untill it is all installed. Someone here may even have those files for you on thier system and could somehow send them to you.

-Del

19. nicz888

nicz888 Regular member

just check my ip
    it said 0.0.0.0
    submask 0.0.0.0

and i try msconfig and nothing happen but a error.

try services.msc and no service avaliable.