AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony announces PS3 DVB-T tuner and DVR

Written by Rich Fiscus @ 23 Aug 2007 6:37 User comments (17)

Sony announces PS3 DVB-T tuner and DVR Sony seems to be moving forward with plans to make the PS3 a home entertainment center for your living room by turning it into a DVR.
The device, called PlayTV, is a combined television receiver and DVR, will be able to record live television and store the video on either a Playstation3 or Playstation Portable for viewing later.

PlayTV, which includes dual DVB tuners, is supposed to be able to record either individual programs or an entire series. It's also capable of receiving and recording hi-def signals. Additionally, when connected to a PS3 it will be able to transmit video to a PSP wirelessly.

It's supposed to be available in Spain, Germany, France, Italy, and Britain some time in 2008.

Source: Yahoo News

Previous Next  

17 user comments

123.8.2007 06:51
hughjars
Inactive

I look forward to all the usual members of the fanclub telling us all how add-ons just don't ever really sell or work out for a format.

Yeah right.

I'm also interested in seeing just how badly this thing sells given the high initial price of the PS3 and however much this new gizmo is meant to retail for (note the silence on any kind of price).

What does a PVR/twin-tuner combo go for these days anyways?
£100/$200, at least?
Bet it's got nothing to do with HD either.

Can anyone say "flop" cos I reckon it's got it written all over it. :P

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Aug 2007 @ 6:53

223.8.2007 10:08

I think it will be even less successful that the HD-DVD add-on for the 360. Speaking of which, isn't this Sony's answer to Xbox's IPTV? I would really like a game console. Make that a game console that's not overly expensive. Will this ridiculous "battle for the living room" just end already? What's next, a wireless "boomerang" controller for AppleTV?

323.8.2007 10:57

WOW!!!! More bashing form hughjars. I’m amazed. I swear you and your buddies spend more time bashing everything than playing anything. Pitiful, so very pitiful.

Anyway…….. If it don’t cost too much this should be a good thing. Provided they learn a thing or two from Microsoft’s mistakes. Everything Microsoft does is great but they try to make everything so user friendly that it actually makes it annoying to setup and navigate for somebody, like myself, that knows what he’s doing. Sony has a tendency to do that as well but Microsoft is ridiculous about it. If Sony does it right this should be nice.

423.8.2007 11:14
duckNrun
Inactive

Ok... some quick questions:

1) This watches and records HD TV: But is it OTA or can I run my cable box to it?

2) If I can run my cable box to it and record HD then essentially it must have AT LEAST component in on it... if so why on the PS3 and not on a PVR Tuner card?

I think that the word Terrestrial says it all which MAY be great for some but I am still holding out for HD via my cable box which has many more choices in HD. Besides WHY would I want to have to switch between the game console and my cable box when I decide to switch channels or look at the program guide to see what's on.

But I can see how for some users this could be an interesting device to ADD ON to a PS3 but I don't see it being a deal maker for a new customer deciding between 2 consoles.

And as a sidenote: No matter HOW many people in the forums say they bought the PS3 for a BD player as oppposed to gaming I still believe that most of the general public (from which a company draws most it revenue from) looks at these added features (e.g BD, OTA HD) as interesting options but not as the main reason (game play) that they are forking out their money.

523.8.2007 11:28
hughjars
Inactive

Originally posted by djeazyg:
WOW!!!! More bashing form hughjars. I’m amazed. I swear you and your buddies spend more time bashing everything than playing anything. Pitiful, so very pitiful.
- It's not "bashing", I'm calling BS on this and asking people consider the facts.

Turn off your brain and just suck up and believe all the PR at face value if you like but I prefer to try and give the obvious sales pitches I hear some critical consideration before deciding anything, particularly when it comes to shelling out hard earned.

I'm willing to bet that this report turns out to be false.

(as well as calling the people who spend an age here bashing add-ons as pointless and horrible hypocrites)

Do any of you have the slightest idea how much an HD PVR/DVR costs in the UK?

One year on Sky charge £300 for their HD PVR/DVR twin tuner box (if you buy a Sky TV package) and £399 (if you don't buy their TV service); although they are now offering long standing customers discounts
(down to £200 + £60 installation fee or without the install fee if you take another out their 'multi-room' service & additional sub).

Bear in mind that this is in the UK - seeing as this thing is supposed to launch here?

.....and what sort of cable service(s) (and charges) go with it, hmmmm?
Cos we don't have free to air terrestrial HD TV.

My bet is that a little licence was used and someone messed up (accidentally on purpose).

The non-HD Sky box is free and the Sky+ (twin tuner DVR/PVR) is £99.....but I cant see a price on their website if you don't take their service.

How much are people seriously expecting this to cost
(especially if it's an HD PVR/DVR......and bearing in mind we don't have free to air terrestrial HD TV services in the UK......and definitely will not have them until no sooner than 2012)?

Like I said, it's got 'flop' - oh yeah, it's a Sony so that ought to be 'very expensive flop' - written all over it.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Aug 2007 @ 8:28

623.8.2007 13:51

The concept sound interesting, I will give them that. I don't have enough time now to watch all the shows that I would like to, any any way to make them more portable might result in increased viewership.

723.8.2007 17:08

I like the idea i think if they play their cards right and make this fit into your regular routine outside of gaming this should be nice and also tie it in to online HD downloads should be sweet. The plus to this could be a few things being the PS3 HD can be upgraded as a lot of our Cable/Satelite providers limit you to what they are currently selling. Now again if they do this right it will work and be success upon these things. PRICE of course, MARKETING, HOW IT INTERACTS with your current home setup, and lastly THE LIMITS ON WHAT YOU CAN DO so if this thing doesnt stack up to tradition PVR/DVR's then its gonna be a waste and cause more damage to what little progress for sold PS3's that have been made.

823.8.2007 18:41

don't get your hopes up on this one. word is , it's not even coming to the u.s., at least not anytime soon. nothing like sony hyping something up that it's biggest market can't even use!

923.8.2007 18:44

Originally posted by duckNrun:
I think that the word Terrestrial says it all which MAY be great for some but I am still holding out for HD via my cable box which has many more choices in HD. Besides WHY would I want to have to switch between the game console and my cable box when I decide to switch channels or look at the program guide to see what's on.
I didn't even think about this, which is actually the most annoying thing about my DVD Recorder (program guides and my cable provider's DVR playback menus do not show and I have to flip back and forth.)

Why is there always a new "report" out about some "Sony" feature involving the PS3 or Blu-Ray? Why don't they just focus on ONE thing and do that well. They are diversifying themselves way too much. I think consumers are overly confused on what Sony is trying to do with this thing. First it plays Blu-Ray, but it's also a game console. Well, you could play online, but our games don't all support voice chat, and you can get one with this connection and size hard drive, yeah, but this week it's $100 cheaper until we repackage it with a larger drive. Geesh, it's just too much!

And one more item, just to throw this out there: it's been awhile since we heard about that "Xbox Live Killer" known as PlayStation Home. Now a tuner card? Give me a break!

1023.8.2007 19:20

Quote:
Originally posted by duckNrun:
I didn't even think about this, which is actually the most annoying thing about my DVD Recorder (program guides and my cable provider's DVR playback menus do not show and I have to flip back and forth.)

Why is there always a new "report" out about some "Sony" feature involving the PS3 or Blu-Ray? Why don't they just focus on ONE thing and do that well. They are diversifying themselves way too much. I think consumers are overly confused on what Sony is trying to do with this thing. First it plays Blu-Ray, but it's also a game console. Well, you could play online, but our games don't all support voice chat, and you can get one with this connection and size hard drive, yeah, but this week it's $100 cheaper until we repackage it with a larger drive. Geesh, it's just too much!

And one more item, just to throw this out there: it's been awhile since we heard about that "Xbox Live Killer" known as PlayStation Home. Now a tuner card? Give me a break!

I agree with you on how they are confusing consumers but their focus has always been on making a multi-media game console. This dates back to playstation 1. But yeah they really need to focus on the gaming level and evolve it from there. But i do like a lot of what they are doing its just coming in weird segments. Hopefully after the holidays things settle for the best for the PS3 as only one can hope.

1125.8.2007 03:45

Ive read into this a bit and i must say, for those who have both a psp and a ps3 this is a KILLER application.

If they could maybe provide external streaming to other devices, like they provide their own video player you can install on your ppc and that will also be able to play the stream.

Computers in the house also having access would be cool as well, which would be like media center but from another angel of attack.

Maybe it will be possible i guess it depends what format the send it as.

1225.8.2007 03:50

and duckNrun

I dont think your going to be able to connect your cable box, the dual tuner is DVB by the looks of it, which means that its just recording the mpeg stream as it comes down.

You cable box wouldnt be able to output an mpeg stream to it to record it.

This however would possible in media center if you used something like a hauppage card with a hardware mpeg chip on it, which would take your incoming picture and encode it back into an mpeg stream.

If you do it get a card with hardware mpeg, its possible with a software encoder, but there is a world of diffirence between the quality of the two.

1325.8.2007 14:39

as soon as this is out im buying it

1431.8.2007 04:03

The PS3 is going to have so may peripherals coming out of it that users are not going to know what the consoles original purpose is. :)

1510.9.2007 21:49

Thats the most stupid comment ever... thats is the first Add on to PS3, not like others PS3 is the only game console that was Ready for the full HD Generation... all others have been upgrading and making new version of their console to keep up to the reality of HD... WiiHD? is that true? What a joke...

1617.8.2010 06:19

Wow...that has to go down as one of the worst ads I have ever seen!

1717.8.2010 06:32

Originally posted by Luis Diez:
Para todos ......
And in english:

For all the Latin Americans. European format of digital TV would be cheapest to adopt Between the diverse advantages of the digital TV, it is the fact that it allows to mobility and portability. The European format of digital television (DVB-t) would be cheapest to implement in the country, according to a study realised by the Viceministry of Telecommunications. The report is part of the documents that analyzes the Mixed Special Commission of Digital Television, which must recommend to the Executive authority a format, to taking more, the 30 of April. The digital TV offers audio major quality of and video, as well as services interactive. In the world there are several formats of this type of technology. Besides the DVB-t, they are the American format (ATSC) and the Japanese-Brazilian (ISDB-TV). The Commission not only analyzes the economic terms to recommend a format, but also it has studied variable social and technical. The Nation has still not had access to the information that analyze these other approaches. The calculations. According to a presentation realised by the section of Systems of Telecommunications, of the Viceministry of Telecommunications, studied by the Commission, to implement the European format could cost $1,319 million. These numbers take into account the cost that will be making the inhabitants from the country when buying new televisions of voluntary form ($1,214 million), as well as the one of the adaptation of the operators who are going to transmit images in that format ($80 million) and the one of the State, that sets out to give decoders of signal to homes in condition of poverty ($25 million). These decoders will serve so that the people with traditional televisions can see the DS after the “blackout” of the analogical television occurs, something that still does not have a defined date. With those same variables, the implementation of the Japanese-Brazilian format would have a $1,487 cost of and the one of the American, of $1,681 million. The report indicates that, although some television transmitters already have bought digital equipment to transmit in a specific format, that investment still does not reach $3 million of $80 million that will be necessary, according to the calculations of the Viceministry. That investment will have to be realised in transmitting antennas, towers, cameras, equipment of edition and equipment of microwaves, for example. Únete to TDT DVB-T HD, Movable DVB-SH. At the most we are. Cheaper they are televisions LCD with built-in TDT DVB-T HD. A Television LCD with TDT DVB-T HD of 42” OKI V42D-FHSU costs 449€ in Spain approximately. Currency exchange is 1,589, 41 New Suns. The manufacturers of TV LCD with TDT DVB-T HD will be but cheap to the being 130 Countries with these frequencies. For that reason the serious value would have to enter PERU therefore the Televisions cheap but that technology ISDB-T. They are two Countries that use the ISDB-T. Japan and Brazil the manufacturers of TV LCD are but expensive for being minority. The Peruvian Government committed an error in TDT ISDB-T. Better to change now European System TDT DVB-T HD. Because if he does the lost ones later they are millionaire of dollars. Pásate to European TDT DVB-T HD. We will bet by TDT DVB-T HD. But it is worth to come up that to be sorry. I am sending Televisions from Spain to Peru with Built-in TDT DVB-T HD. He is Economic and you must not have two apparatuses like the TV but the Decoder. Decoders TDT DVB-T HD cost from 24 €. European system of digital television, the DVB, is economic for the user since it uses “the more universal” technology, assured today to Efe Eladio Gutiérrez, ex- president of the Association for the Implantation and Desarrollo of the Terrestrial Digital Television in Spain (It impels TDT). “The European system is present in more than one hundred countries anywhere in the world and continues expanding, which significantly lowers the cost of the receiver for the citizen”, Gutiérrez explained. The expert, who presided Impels TDT from 2007 and to its closing in last May, is in Montevideo to give a lecture to near the implantation of the terrestrial digital television (TDT) in Spain within the framework of the festival DOCMONTEVIDEO that starts today in the Uruguayan capital. The DOCMONTEVIDEO is an international forum that it tries to involve to the television networks of Latin America in the independent production of documentary. Gutiérrez will share in Uruguay the “successes and errors” of the process that from 2005 and to the past April took place in Spain in its passage of the analogical television to the digitalis. “Uruguay was the first country of Latin America that chose the European system to implant it and in my opinion it was an enormous success”, the expert explained. The majority of the countries of Suramérica like Brazil, Argentina or Peru chose the Japanese-Brazilian system (ISBD) of digital television, whereas the previous Uruguayan Government of Tabaré Vazquez (2005-2010) chose by the European (DVB) for his future implantation of the TDT. Nevertheless, the present president of the country, Jose Mujica, the past admitted in interview to Brazilian newspapers March that would review the possibility of deciding on the Japanese system with the adaptations that to him Brazil introduced, since it is extended in Latin America. On the other hand, the Spanish expert pleads because Uruguay one to other countries like Australia, Taiwan or Colombia, that decided on European system DVB. “If in Brazil the digital television receivers do not lower of the 160 dollars and in Argentina cost the 300, in Europe 25 prices now go up to around 20 or ″, assured Gutierrez, that also he was president of Radio Spanish Televisión (RTVE) digital. “Intention to Uruguay to that he begins to implant the TDT with the European system, that is the one that has more advantages for the citizen”, the expert insisted. With respect to the Spanish experience, he aimed that the process was “a success in all the senses”. Ever since the past 3 of April the analogical blackout was carried out in Spain, by which the digitalis happened to be the unique form of television emission, “some incidences have been registered only, very isolated”, added Gutiérrez. “Still they are challenges ahead”, affirmed the Spanish, that it emphasized the importance of studying the introduction of the Alta technologies Definición (HD) and broadband in the televisions. According to Gutiérrez, “the future of the TDT he is unthinkable without Internet and without audio-visual contents of payment” and in this sense it assured that Spain “still is in the technological transition”. It looks for compares and if it finds something better cómprelo PERUVIAN THANKS.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive