1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Software: Download Here!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by chunkhead, Sep 4, 2007.

1. nickxp

nickxp Member

Had a question. Already have my 360 set up as a media center extender. Works fine have some issues with music format due to early downloading via MIRC and had my IPOD crash after 5 years of labeling music. Got the music back but lost all my labeling.. Sorry side note if you have a good fix. On with the real question at hand. Want to know if there is anyway that I can mod my 360 so that with a wireless keyboard and mouse I can internet browse thru my xbox. Or even just have my XBOX Stream my PC screen on to my TV. I am streaming on a wirless network on my PC and my xbox is hard wired into my router.

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ nickxp

How does this fit into this thread?

@ sas83

The link provided works fine, you must be downloading it wrong!

You need to click on the 'Free' button at the bottom of that screen! You then have to wait for your time slot, insert a code and then it will download!

It works fine, I just tested it!

3. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Why don't the mods sticky your stuff?

Don't see why, its valuable knowledge.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

didn't notice this one wasn't stickied already; i've been far too busy breaking my xbox; was up 'til 6am (no lie) this morn fighting with a standard softmod and locking my new 500GB hard drive, got it all working then up again at 9 as had other things to do also, now reverting the softmod and starting over as it's all gone to pot, thankfully i've got all chunkhead's tutorials printed out :)

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Thanks for the sticky Creaky!

You guys can also feel free to link the Troubleshooter in you signature bar like have!

Saves you having to go find it all time to tell someone where to go!

;)

6. creaky

Thought i'd post an update of the fun i had doing this..

[​IMG]

..First attempts at softmodding eventually went ok (while using the stock hard drive) but then it all went to pot, so started again (the softmod went fine but was having horrendous networking problems as UnleashX would change IP settings then lose them, XBMC was doing the same, and on top of that was having sporadic problems with the wireless gaming adapter working one minute and not the next.
    ps for the first softmod i used SID 4.0 then AID 4.10 (tried adding some addon packs from AID 4.12 but maybe i didn't do it right so that might have been what messed things up (especially as i hadn't got hold of AID 4.11 anyway). I liked UnleashX as the main dashboard but really just wanted the xbox to boot straight into XBMC..

Uninstalled the softmod with no problems; second attempt at softmod went fine, and stayed fine (still using the stock hard drive at this point btw); this time i used SID 5.01, and AID 4.10 'as is' ie with no addon packs added on. Installed XBMC as my main dashboard this time. All working fine so it was time for a bigger hard drive (oh forgot to mention that i had quite a few attempts at putting a new hard drive in before any softmodding, as i wanted to keep the stock hard drive exactly as it was, for a perfect backup. However all attempts to use xboxhdm 1.9 to setup the new disk went fine except couldn't lock the new hard drive, so tried a couple different hard drives. Still couldn't lock any of them; then realised i wasn't hotswapping correctly and managed to get one of the drives to lock).

...So went straight in for the kill and put a slightly bigger hard drive in - a nice shiny 500GB Western Digital WD500AAKB, which worked & locked without a hitch (well i did suffer unexplained data loss when the drive was nearly full).

** found out (after i took out the 500GB drive) that any drive over 250GB will suffer corruption if not formatted with 32K clusters, this explains the data loss i was experiencing, will remember that if i ever put in a drive larger than 250GB in future. **

Anyway, then got the gaming adapter working properly, so can FTP nicely from any of my wifi PC's, put a handful of MP3 albums on there, a few AVI's etc, just to test out XBMC. Works beautifully, so next step was to chill out and play some games :)

(the problems with the gaming adapter went away once the networking was stable, no surprise that the gaming adapter was so unstable before - turns out this was due to the IP settings being messed up by the dashboards for some reason, doesn't matter how or why as the xbox/networking/XBMC are all 100% stable now)

Almost finished now, just installed a few games to the hard drive using DVD2XBOX, works a treat. All finished except a few hundred Gigabytes of music to chuck on there, that will have to keep as it's going to take forever..

So the point of my post was really to say that the tutorials were spot on, any mistakes i made were from spending too long on locking drives and the networking hassles, spent 'til 6am the next day messing with the various aspects of the modding as was determined to get it working. It paid off in the end as XBMC is amazing to see in action.

Files i used from the list in the Chunkhead's first post up top of this thread were -

Action Replay with a supplied memory card and USB dongle

AID v4.10 (without any addons)

FlashFXP v3.4 (though of course i now use the free Filezilla instead)

LiveInfo BETA 3

MS Dash 5960 (Clean)

XboxHDM v1.9

Softmod Installer Deluxe (except i used version 5.01)

[​IMG]

..i'm an xbox convert, i now use it as my main music/gaming system, it's an incredible setup. [​IMG]

..just need to get all my tunes on there then setup the other xbox in the same way.

edit- just finished redoing the above xbox, took out the 500GB and put in a 250GB, needed the 500GB for other things..

Exact steps i took (no different to chunkhead's softmodding tutorial, i just made notes as i went along, just helps me to remember for when i do this again). ps - these aren't necessarily the exact same options other people should choose, i'm just explaining how i did my setup for my HD TV..

1/ Prepared (ie 'rebuilt HD from scratch') the 250GB drive (previously used in a PC) with xboxhdm 1.9 (the cd-rw i've been using has the eeprom from the original xbox) then locked the drive with xboxhdm
    2/ Installed the 250GB drive into the xbox
    3/ Using Action Replay, copied the SID 5 installer and the PAL Splinter Cell savegame onto the memory card, then put the memory card in the controller
    4/ Booted xbox with no game in the dvd drive (obviously the xbox is now 'stock' but with a much bigger hard drive in)
    5/ Copied the 2 files off the memory card onto the hard disc then remove the memory card
    6/ Put Splinter Cell dvd in the drive and start the game, choosing Linux savegame, checkpoints option
    7/ SID 5 installer now boots
    8/ Made the usual 2 backups, first the eeprom backup then the MS backup
    9/ Installed 'Dual Boot softmod (Hacked Dash/softmod menu)'
    10/ Chose 'Virtual C + Eeprom for HD'
    11/ Chose Unleashx, Unleash started up
    12/ Ran AID 4.10 from here (my cd-rw of AID 4.0 is 'as is' as i didn't bother merging in any addon packs)
    13/ Chose dashboard section
    14/ Chose 'Install E Drive dashboards'
    15/ Chose XBMC as my dashboard
    16/ Chose 'Larger HDD (E+F+G)' as this is a 250GB drive
    17/ XBMC now boots as the dashboard
    18/ setup the networking in XBMC (which in my case includes a wireless gaming adapter
    19/ Install 'all applications' (to F drive) and a few emulators from the AID 4.0 cd-rw
    20/ While still in AID i formatted the G drive
    21/ All done, reboot and tweak any settings in XBMC, and install a few games via DVD2XBox, copy loads of music videos and MP3's over
    22/ Can now start enjoying XBMC!

(btw I sometimes pull out the wireless adapter and use good old ethernet to copy stuff over to the xbox if i'm putting masses of stuff on there as it's quicker than wireless)

edit-i no longer bother with SID 5.01, 4.0 is more than adequate, the memory card just stays in the box as 4.0 ready for more xbox purchases :)

edit-i no longer store music on the xbox hard drive, all my equipment is fully networked now so i use the xboxes to connect to pc's to play media ie the xbox hard drive can then be used purely for installing games onto; but it's very handy to be able to put huge hard drives in an xbox, that space always comes in handy.
    Plus i no longer use XBMC as the main dash on my main xbox, i use UnleashX (XBMC is still the main dash on my 'lesser' xboxes however). XBMC is simply called via the Applications tab in UnleashX.
    Also i no longer use wireless for any xboxes (or for any pc's for that matter), all are wired, to a Buffalo WHR-G54S, which is linked wirelessly via another WHR-G54S via 'WDS' (one Buffalo is upstairs, the other is downstairs).

edit- See my post on page 5 of this thread for info re new updates of Auto Installer Deluxe.. - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/557450/4127036

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  7. audogstar

audogstar Member

creaky..

where did you get SID 5.01 from ??
    As i dont see it in the linkies listed from chunkhead..
    (can we get it added please - if its stable etc)

Also, Did you have the Pal/NTSC changer problem with the ver ??
    (not knowing what region your in)as I will replace SID 4 on my mem card for future reference.

looks like a sweet bit of kit you got now..

8. cearel

cearel Guest

link is 100% just tested dont know what your doing wrong if you have a premi account you may have dled past ur limit

9. creaky

i found it somewhere on a torrent site, can't remember where now, it's only 7MB.

- i'm Region 2, and if you mean the black & white screen problem after the softmod, yes i did; however the xbox is hooked up to a HD Ready LCD and somewhere in the SID or AID setup i chose an option to cater for HD screens; i should've taken some notes as i've still got to setup the other xbox.

I stole the picture off google but yes, XBMC is amazing to use, and it looks awesome too; it's 230am here and i'm FTPing loads of music videos that i've collected over the years, something like 100GB of them, watching some 6year old ones now, memories :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Great news!!! Glad to hear you got everything off the ground!

Let's clear up a few things though...

Where were you hotswapping!? The new drive should be built as a stand-alone drive with XboxHDM v1.9...

As for the SID 5.01, as I have discussed above, the SID 4.0 is stable and the v 5.0 was buggy. For those who DESPERATELY want it, it's available on the AID v4.10 link.

@ Creaky

Set up some shared drives on a PC and stream media across the network, make good use of the 'Library' function, using TVDB for the TV Shows and IMDB for the Movies!

11. creaky

- it was, well each drive i used, was.. turned out i was booting the PC with the actual drives attached to the IDE cable, ie the BIOS was getting a lock on the drives so the lock/unlock tools couldn't do their magic. Once i booted without a hard drive, then attached it after the boot to xboxhdm, all was fine; doh! i wasn't paying attention properly..

- yeah, i rememebered you said the SID 5 was buggy, i was ok with it but as you know more about this stuff than me i'm only here to say i was fine with it, but it's better if other noobs (i'm a noob too!) stick to SID 4 just in case or feel brave (or have other info that we don't)

good idea, i'll look at that later on, hadn't peeked into the Library function yet...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  12. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I live for the library function! I have 1.3 Tbytes of Movies and TV, all cataloged via the library. I then an use numerous Xboxs around my house, all using the same source!

Here's an example of my library, it works even better for TV Shows...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/4/523607

13. creaky

cheers, just reading it now; i've rebuilt the xbox again, have documented it up top of this same page, now i'm looking at having most of the media on one or more PC's instead of the xbox hard drive, wanted more space for games

14. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Sounds good Creaky, it's not that hard when you do it a few times!

;)

As for the HDD, I still run the stock in my Xboxs as I don't really play games. I might upgrade it soon.

Like I said, it's much easier to keep all your media in one place and use it as you need it, it streams perfectly. As long as the folders are available to the network they can be used, just set them as 'sources' in XBMC.

15. creaky

yeah i know what you mean about media in one place, i'm already juggling 3 or 4 huge hard drives in USB2.0 enclosures, plus i've not slept in 2days, being as i can't sleep i'm sorting out the shares on a couple pc's

16. BlkMagic1

BlkMagic1 Active member

how do you burn slayers 2.7 final it downloaded through bitlord in like 5 mins now what i burnt it the first time after using the password and extracted the iso and burnt it with dvd decrypter to a 4.7 gb but i didnt know it was only about 450mb is there a way im suppose to do this or was it ok to burn it with anything

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Does it work?

I have a Slayers v2.7 on DVD-R and it works fine...

18. BlkMagic1

BlkMagic1 Active member

yea it doesnt work think i did something wrong what did you use to burn it

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  19. Beagler69

Beagler69 Member

im in need of some help upgrading hard drives on the xbox.....
    i have all the tools.....the only problem is when i ftp the c: and E: drive to my pc for back up....it doesn't let me ftp the shadowc folder with the eprom.bin and the shadow.img files.....need help please?

not sure if that folder is needed....?

and im using unleashx for my dashbaord.....

thanks....

20. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Unless there is something you really want to keep, the only thing you need is the 'eeprom.bin'. This should NOT be the one from the shadowc, it should be in a backup folder somewhere on the E:\

@ BlkMagic1

I'm assuming you used the torrent I linked to!? I haven't tested it myself, but it should work...

Try burning it as an image with Nero. My HDD Upgrade tutorial shows you how if you are unsure!

;)