1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to put a background on a 5th Generation iPod video.

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by ps2racer, Oct 1, 2007.

1. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

This is it my own creation BHCF 5G Firmware.

With this new firmware you can put your own background with any color font you want, on your 5th Generation iPod. All problems are fixed. No white box around the progress bar and the volume bar is also fixed. Also the text is back on the title bar it was missing in the last hack. Things are different than the old hack so read each step. You take all responsibility when modding your iPod. I am not responsible for any thing that goes wrong. Although if something does go wrong. I will try my best to help you fix it. You should not have any problems as long as you take your time and follow the steps. If you are unsure of something stop and ask me and others before writing to your iPod.

THIS IS FOR THE 5th Generation iPod video ONLY.

If any links are not working just let me know and I will get them working.

You will need the newest iPodWizard 1.3. (link below) 1.2 will work but it is much harder to change the font color with 1.2. So make it easy on your brain and download 1.3.

You will also need the new BHCF 5G Firmware. (link below)

Before starting you will need to resize the image that you want as your background. You may have already done this if so skip this and go to step 1, otherwise continue reading. Ok to get a photo or picture that you want as the background you will have to resize it. You may be able to do this with paint, but I do not know. I did it with Open Canvas. Here is a link for a free trail version of Open Canvas. http://opencanvas.en.softonic.com/download. This is how you resize a picture in Open Canvas. Open the picture in Open Canvas. Click edit and go to resolution. Click on pixel, make sure that constrain proportions is checked. Change the width to 320 pixel the height should change itself. Make sure the height is 240 pixel or less. If it’s not than change the height to 240 pixel and the width should go below 320 pixel, now click ok. The photo is resized. But before saving the photo, click edit and go to canvas size. Change it to width 320 pixel and height 240 pixel and click ok. Now save the picture. Make sure that you click save as and that you save it as a JPEG format type.

Step 1 Downloading and installing.

Download iPodWizard 1.3 and BHCF 5G Firmware. It’s an all in one download. Once downloaded unzip everything to a folder. This is all there is to installing. Note if iPodWizard dose not start, you may have to restart your computer to get it working properly.

Step 2 Opening iPodWizard and Loading Firmware.

Open iPodWizard 1.3. Then change Edit Mode (at the top) to Firmware File. Click Open Firmware. Find the BHFC Firmware folder open it and then open the BHFC 5G Firmware file. Wait for it to load.

[​IMG]

Step 3 Inserting your own background image.

Make sure that the Firmware editor tab and Picture tab are both highlighted. Click index and go to 138. You should see my custom PS2racer background. To get your image as the background just drag the image right on top of my custom image. Sometimes you have to click one of the other tabs like font and then go back to the picture tab for the image to appear. Once your image is there your done with the background.

[​IMG]

Step 4 Changing the font color.

The font color is black. So if you want black font, skip this step and go to step 5. To change the color click the Layout tab. Then change the Resource type to Font Types. On the white spot right below this type in 24222 and then click find. In the box on the right you should see an R... right below that you should see 0x0. Double click the 0x0. It will then pop up and ask you do you want to change the font color, click yes. All the colors will pop up just click the color you want and then click ok. Ok you just changed the font color for the menu text. To change all the font colors do the same thing as above just for different resources.
    Change 24222 for Main Menu text (All main text on your iPod.)
    24223 for Title Bar text (Also changes your "Do not disconnect" text, and your "Song # of #" text in 'Now Playing'.)
    24224 for Titlebar Text Shadow (Text shadow in Stopwatch and Screen Lock.)
    24225 for Secondary Text (Settings options and all other text.)
    Each one can be a different color they don’t have to be all the same color. Play around with it till you find something you like.

[​IMG]

Step 5 Saving and writing to iPod.

Once you are done with everything click Write (at the top) not Write to iPod just Write. This will save your background and choice of color to the firmware. So if you need to write it back to your iPod you don’t have to do all this again. Ok now connect your iPod to your computer. Wait for iTunes and any other programs to open that normally open when you connect your iPod and close them out. Make sure the name of your iPod appears in the iPodWizard Essentials box, when it has appeared click Write to iPod. After it has loaded to your iPod and says Successfully done, click the eject button in the iPodWizard Essentials box. After it said no iPod found on computer disconnect the cable. Your iPod will then reset; it may take about 15 to 30 sec. Then it will come on with your custom background and color font. Enjoy.

Attention!!! When writing to iPod you may get an "Error writing firmware! Code: -1, 22, 13836800". If you do get this error it is because you have a 5.5 Generation iPod and not a 5th Generation iPod. Sorry I do not have a 5.5 Generation Firmware, because I do not have a 5.5 Generation iPod to test it on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. nintenut

nintenut Regular member

Awesome guide, mate. :D One problem though, during playback the progress bar is surrounded by a white rectangle blocking the bottom of the screen, is there a way to fix this like you did the volume bar?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  3. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

Thanks, this is my first How To Guide and I'm glad to see others using it. No there is not a way to fix the progress bar as of now. Hopefully there will be somthing soon. As soon as I have it and test it, I will post.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  4. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

All problems fixed with the new BHCF 5G Firmware. First post has been edited.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  5. nintenut

nintenut Regular member

Excellent!

6. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

How To fix the white box around the Progress Bar.

You will need these seven files, download them here.Unzip the file and you should have a folder named 5G Files. The seven files are in this folder.

Connect your iPod to your computer. IMPORTANT, if you have iTunes setup to start when you connect your iPod wait for iTunes to start then close it out.

Open iPodWizard and make sure that you see the name of your iPod in the top right at iPodWizard Essentials. If you not see the name restart iPodWizard and try again. Now Change Edit Mode (in the top left) to iPod. You should now see Load iPod Firmware to the right of Edit Mode. Click Load iPod Firmware. Wait for it to load

After it loads click the layout tab. Make sure that Resource type is on Scheme Layout. Ok to make this a little easier I wrote the file names of the seven files your downloaded down on paper. Just write the numbers not view.(not view24532.rsrc, just 24532) on the files with a - like view-353.rsrc you will need the - and the numbers. Writing them down will make it a lot easier.

Type the name of the file in the space below Resource type (numbers only). ONE FILE AT A TIME. Then click find, then click Load Resource. Find the same file that you typed in and open in. It should pop up and say loaded successfully. Then just do the same thing for all seven files. Type the file in, click find, click load, then move to the next file, so on and so on.

After all seven files are loaded successfully, click write (in the middle at top). It should ask you are you sure the you woun’t to Write to iPod click yes or ok witch ever pops up. Wait for it to write to iPod after it says writed successfully. Eject your iPod and your done.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  7. slowie

slowie Guest

Really nice, thnx bro. I'd like to introduce you other useful tools, xilisoft iPod rip. I tried and find it not bad to use. You may try.

8. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

What is xilisoft iPod rip. Do you rip music with it or is a modding tool.

9. carg319

carg319 Member

doing this mod i am going to lose all my music and files that I currently have in my Ipod?, or it will just replace the icons with the new photos and let all music intact?

10. nintenut

nintenut Regular member

It's a program that rips the music/video from your iPod, I'm not sure how it's relevant to your guide...

Anyway, this worked great on my iPod, much thanks. :D

11. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

You will not lose any music, videos, or photos. The only way you might lose any music, videos, or photos, is if you do something wrong and have to reset the iPod to factory. As for files I’m not sure what type of files you mean. If you have other mods on the iPod you will lose them. If it makes you fill better just backup all the stuff on the iPod, then mod it. All it is, is a firmware that replaces the stock iPod firmware with one that allows you to change the background.

12. carg319

carg319 Member

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow

13. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

Good Luck.

14. slowie

slowie Guest

Xilisoft iPod Rip is just the tool you can recommend to back up iPod files. it can transfer music and movies from iPod to PC, iPod to iTunes, iPod to iPod, iPod to iPhone, iPhone to PC, iPhone to iTunes. And I think it's useful.

15. kazumi27

kazumi27 Guest

it says firmware error code

16. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

What did you do to get this error.

17. thatone23

thatone23 Member

When i download the 5g seven files thing. Its just one .rar file that my computer doesn't recognize. Not a zip file. :(

18. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

Donwload WinRAR. It's like winzip just for rar files. Google WinRAR, and you should find it. Then unzip the file with winrar.

19. neridap

neridap Member

Great hack!
    I've updated the 7 files but I still have a white box around the progress bars. Any suggestions?

20. ps2racer

ps2racer Regular member

Did you write it to your iPod? Make sure that all seven files load successfully. Then click Write To iPod. Give it one more try and see what you get.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007