1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

winfast tv 2000 xp - cant capture vhs but live tv works fine

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by sigpop, Nov 13, 2003.

1. sigpop

sigpop Member

i have the winfast tv 2000 xp deluxe and want to record from vhs. unfort, my vcr and vid cam are both somewhat ancient. they dont have any s-video output--only rca jacks.

the card installed and plays live tv just fine. but when i click the Input Source button i cant seem to get it to use my vid cam as the input.

i used the s-video splitter cable that came with the product. i plugged the video out from my vid cam to the rca jack and left the s-video input empty.

is this possible?

2. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello, your problem sounds pretty serious but maybe you could check again on what have you selected for your video input source? I do have a Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe and thought buying one which apparently yours have pretty good feedback. Well, if you don't mind please check the number on the chip to comfirm whether is yours a 10 bit decoder because I'm comparing yours and the WinFast TV 2000 XP Expert. Note: Fusion 878A = 8 bit, CX23880, CX23881 = 10 bit

3. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello guys, Just for your info that Leadtek has only 1 card that is 10 bit decoder and that is the WinFast TV2000 XP Expert. I bought it yesterday and the performance is really superb but the only inconvenience is the downloading of latest driver and PVC software inorder to work perfectly because I heard that the supplied CD software has quite afew problems. Anyway, I did not use the CD at all so I'm not too sure. I tried video input using the supply cable with only RCA attached and S-video empty and the video recorded was great and almost the same as source.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2003
  4. sigpop

sigpop Member

problem solved. whew.

apparently the install didnt go as smooth as i orig thought. while it gave no error after the install (i actually followed the directions for once) my device mgr showed 2 devices weren't functioning properly (i assume they were the winfast vid cap and audio cap inputs?).

i downloaded the latest hardware drivers and software update. when i ran the install, i got some wierd error message, but after a reboot, i was able to set the input to something other than the cable feed.

at first i couldnt capture sound, but upon examining my sound settings, i noticed i didnt have 'Line In' selected as my Recording input (note that stoopid win2k uses checkboxes where they should have used radio buttons, which threw me as i am a programmer who has designed/prog many a gui).

fwiw, leadtek official tech support never answered my email regarding this issue.

5. sigpop

sigpop Member

sry about the late reply.

looks like its the 8 bit. i didnt want to take my puter apart, but i can see the words connextant and fusion on it. i bought it at newegg for just under $50.

is the 10 bit better? if so, in what ways?

6. davidb

davidb Member

I am looking for a card to capture VHS to make DVDs. I get the impression that outside of the included software that everyone is happy with the card. Is that right? What editing software does it come with. Will it work with Premiere?

7. onestop

onestop Regular member

8. sigpop

sigpop Member

doh. i'm a bit bummed now. seems like that card could do what i orig wanted (tv tuner plus a way to convert my vhs to dvd) bu has better pic/audio quality. mind if i ask how much you paid and where you got it?

9. FearTec

FearTec Member

I recently bought the Leadtek TV2000-XP Expert card expecting problems with Stereo sound and poor quality video but it has surpassed my expectations.

The TV quality is excellent even with my old UHF only arial. The record software is perfect and does what you expect it to.

The only difficulty was with the interface (a little childish) but the software is stable and does what you expect it to.

I could not even imaging buying a better card.

Simon

10. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo Sigpop, I paid SGD$109/- which probably approx. USD$63/-. Go to www.leadtek.com.tw and look under which country and distributor or retailer available.

Hello FearTec, May I know whether do you have the Mpeg4 shortcut by default? Reason is that I don't have it and Leadtek Taiwan told me that the codec use is "Microsoft Mpeg-4 video codec V2" but I stuck on what "audio codec" and "input resolution" to use. By the way I had wrote to Leadtek Taiwan again and probably will hear from them in a day or two. Oh yeah! for those guys out there which have problems in getting Leadtek support, use the inquiry icon that will get speedy reply and not the contact "pr@leadtek.com.tw" which will never get a reply.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  11. FearTec

FearTec Member

I purchased the Leadtek TV2000-XP Expert and installed the latest drivers from the net only. The software works great, TV quality is excellent and there are no known bugs yet.

The Expert card is well worth the $110 AUS I paid for it.

The only problem I am having is with faint diagonal lines (waves) across the PC TV image and on the TV when they share the same RCA video cable from the Cable box's output.

I suspect this is an earth problem or interferance from my switch box with (DVD/TV/VHS/N64/Stereo/PC TV cables).

But the card is perfect.

12. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo FearTec, Please check in your PVR, Configeration, capture format profile and see if you have the Mpeg-4 icon there? If yes, please select Mpeg-4, click on capture profile settings than advise me what is the video codec, audio codec and input resolution. Many Thanks.....

13. FearTec

FearTec Member

onestop

*forgive the dual posts, proxy server update problem on my end*

I did not have a MPEG 4 by default, I still cant find a MPEG 4 option. I am using the Microsoft Media Player 9 codec as it is crystal clear and has the smallest files (230MB per hour/high quality) instead of MEPG 4 at 1GB and hour/high quality).

I configured a DivX and XVid codec option but they are too slow to encode on my Athlon 2400XP, 640MB SDRAM system.

I will rip to MPEG 2/high quality for things I want to keep and convert them with VirtuaDub (freeware video editing software) to DivX and burn it.

I cant find the inquiry option on leadtek's website, do you have URL or email address??

Thanks Simon

14. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo Feartec, I using the Virtuedub to Divx method all this while but just thought of trying the Mpeg-4 funtion directly to see how is the result. Like I said the video codec is "Microsoft Mpeg-4 video codec V2" and I'll wait for Leadtek's reply on the "audio codec" so to do my testing. Oh, the "inquiry icon" is at www.leadtek.com.tw follow byt FAQ and you will see the icon on the left top beside "seach function".

15. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo FearTec, I saw my Divx Pro 5.0 codec in the PVC "video codec selection" and I believe that it support direct Divx encoding as well. What "audio codec" do you suggest to use for Divx encoding? Sorry Simon, I forgot to mention that you can add in X'tra encording icons Mpeg-4, divx or your own customise Mpeg-2 to the PVC.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  16. FearTec

FearTec Member

I will try the MS MPEG 4 codec.

I have created PVC profiles for DivX 5.1.1 and XviD but it is too slow on my PC.

I use an advanced MP3 codec that gives heaps of mp3 formats and compression levels. Email me and I will email it to you my email is simon at fearby.com.

17. mbanx

mbanx Guest

Hey I have my xp expert coming in a couple of days do you just run the cable from the wall to the card for tv? Also any feedback about capture from a VCR would be appreciated I would like to know the settings for the best image possible. Thanks

18. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo Mbanx, backup your own VHS is quite direct by connect the RCA cables to the S-video connection wire provided by Leadtek. As for the settings wise it really depends on how powerful is your PC. Well, if you are converting VHS to Mpeg-2, the distributor service support in Singapore told me to use just 'Good Quality' will provide better results than 'Optimal Quality'. Reason is that in 'Good Quality' both software & hardware are doing the encoding and for 'Optimal Quality' by default it will only base on the 10 bit chip on the card. Emm.. how true is it, probably you will have to try it out to confirm. By the way, if you are doing backup on your own VHS, you might run into macrovision protection problem for certain movies which require external video stabilizer to remove it.

19. FearTec

FearTec Member

mbanx

What speed is your Computer? How much memory (RAM) do you have?

Capturing from VRC is easy, I have also created 3 RCA extension cables to run from my Cable Box/etc.

The Software is quite easy to capture but I would suggest you download a free video editing program called "VirtuaDub" for MPEG editing or use Windows XP's Movie Maker 2 program to split WMV's etc.

Have Fun.

20. mbanx

mbanx Guest

hey feartec my computer is a Vaio 2.5 Ghz with 512 RAM. When you play these in a DVD player will you be impressed with how well they look? Thats my goal I know the card did not cost that much but I could not afford the Canopus ADVC right now. By the way I dont have a cable box it is just CATV right from the wall. Why do you use RCA? Also i have read alot about capping in AVI for editing purposes can we do this with the xp expert?
    Sorry for all the questions but I dont know anybody here in FT Wayne IN who knows about this.