1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod is being used by another application(hiding)

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Jimmons, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Jimmons

Jimmons Member

So when I tell Itunes to eject, or even the computer to do it, they both say that files are being used by another application, an application I cant find, So I have to do the unfriendly pulling of the plug.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

You should see an icon down on the right hand side , beside the clock , "Safely Remove Hardware"

Right click on it choose "Safely Remove Hardware" and when when you get the pop up box you get another pop up box , choose the drive you iPod is plugged into and click stop , then you can remove your iPod

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  3. Jimmons

Jimmons Member

when I said I tried having the computer do it, thats what I was reffering to, and when I try that it says the device generic volume cannot be stopped right now. try stopping the device again later.

4. mrdrumz

mrdrumz Member

I seriously wouldn't consider just unplugging the ipod without warning if it can be helped. Especially in Vista, as my iPod Photo, granted is getting on a bit these days, has major corruption problems (no music listed on it, skips through songs without playback, sad ipod icon) if I just unplug it.

Although it is as I say gettign on a bit but I've noticed a whole lot more corruption problems including a lot more of the sad ipod faces or folder with exclamation marks happening since I installed vista (reason for mrdrumz to ditch vista number 142 haha!)

5. Jimmons

Jimmons Member

well, none of this actually helps.

6. mrdrumz

mrdrumz Member

well you asked for idea sand suggestions. I think we posted some pretty viable ones.

You want a sure fire fix? Unplug it when you restart your computer. I know that's a bit inconveniant but it is guaranteed to work. If you have your ipod in disk mode then some applications (hard disk monitors, anti-virus) will be accessing ti like an extra hard drive. Just think of all th epossible programs that can use a hard drive in that manner.

In my experience if the ejct in itunes doesn't work then the icon at the bottom right as celtic71 said normally works.