1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help stop ooxml!!

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by killaklan, Nov 8, 2007.

1. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

the following are reasons why the new ooxml shouldnt be a standard:

1. There is already a standard ISO26300 named Open Document Format (ODF): a dual standard adds costs, uncertainty and confusion to industry, government and citizens;

2. There is no provable implementation of the OOXML specification: Microsoft Office 2007 produces a special version of OOXML, not a file format which complies with the OOXML specification;

3. There is information missing from the specification document, for example how to do a autoSpaceLikeWord95 or useWord97LineBreakRules;

4. More than 10% of the examples mentioned in the proposed standard do not validate as XML;

5. There is no guarantee that anybody can write software that fully or partially implements the OOXML specification without being liable to patent lawsuits or patent license fees by Microsoft;

6. This format conflicts with existing ISO standards, such as ISO 8601 (Representation of dates and times), ISO 639 (Codes for the Representation of Names and Languages) or ISO/IEC 10118-3 (cryptographic hash);

7. There is a bug in the spreadsheet file format which forbids any date before the year 1900: such bugs affect the OOXML specification as well as software applications like Microsoft Excel 2000, XP, 2003 and 2007.

8. This standard proposal was not created by bringing together the experience and expertise of all interested parties (such as the producers, sellers, buyers, users and regulators), but by Microsoft alone.

help stop microsoft from buildng yet another monopoly
    http://www.noooxml.org/petition

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Not to mention the fact that the specification uses flawed math: http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/07/formula-for-failure.html

Microsoft is doing some really disturbing things lately (Vista EULA conditions, Novell, "open source" software, .NET, now OOXML), their products should be avoided entirely on PC at the very least.

3. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

lol jus like microsoft to make a flawed product *cough*cough*xbox 360*cough*cough*

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  4. arcder23

arcder23 Member

oh plz.. 360 is PERFECT try to say the same about the PS3, u cant cuz it sucks BALLS

5. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Noob... If you're going to post in the Linux forums, at least keep it on topic, and if you're going to expect any credibility, learn to spell, your sig only confirms you don't really know what you're talking about.

6. arcder23

arcder23 Member

to bad i do... but ok.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm tiring of your random 'posts' which are blatant post padding as you keep digging up old posts; that one comment i just quoted is enough to clue me in as to your age; i didn't even have to go and check if you were post padding as i'm subscribed to 22,000+ threads and when groups of old threads start appearing in my email i know there's someone new around here who's just out to up their rank; i will only ask you one last time to knock it off with the random crap - post only if you have something of value to post about..

plus if you're going to post, at least try to show you have some knowledge...

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Not only did I sign the petition, I also tried some of the things listed here http://ooxmlisdefectivebydesign.blogspot.com/ and found them to be true. Not only when trying to edit spreadsheets manually but also by using non M$ applications to change data in them.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

Had mail from the petitioners..

Dear "my name",

You signed the <NO>OOXML petition, a movement backed now by more than
    70.000 supporters worldwide. Our effort to influence the OOXML (Office
    Open XML) standardization process has been an astonishing success so
    far. We aim for at least 100.000 signatures in February when the Geneva
    Ballot Resolution Meeting (BRM) will convene with the aim to resolve
    comments.

Microsoft is trying by all means to get its "standard" adopted without
    substantial changes despite of its thousands of officially reported
    technical flaws and the pre-existence of ISO 26300:2006 (OpenDocument,
    ODF) as the most appropriate international standard for the
    representation of office documents.

By next Tuesday Dec 11 2007 delegates from your National Standards Body
    BSI who will participate in the BRM have to be announced to
    ISO. At least Portugal and Ireland will be represented by Microsoft. In
    many other countries, we know that Microsoft gold partners are proposing
    themselves as heads of national delegations. Many of them will prevail
    if we do not take action.

Will you let Microsoft represent your country at Geneva and decide the
    future of OOXML?

You can make a difference and call now BSI at +44-208-9969000 and help
    us to find out:

a. Who will represent BSI on DIS 29500 at the Ballot
    Resolution Meeting in Geneva?
    b. When will the decision on delegates be made and if BSI is
    aware of the Dec 11 deadline?
    c. Does your national delegates for the BRM are independent enough
    from Microsoft?
    d. Does the responsible Committee of BSI for DIS 29500 work
    on resolution proposals for all the 3500 comments tabled or - if at
    all - only for the national comments that they submitted?

Please report your findings by replying to this email, we will update
    this page with the members of each national delegation:

http://www.noooxml.org/brm

More things that you can do to help our effort against this broken
    standard proposal:

1. Join our mailing list and get in touch with many other
    activists:
    http://lists.ffii.org/mailman/listinfo/noooxml-club
    2. Become a member of FFII, the worldwide association leading the
    <NO>OOXML campaign:
    http://action.ffii.org/member_application
    3. Become a member of DIGISTAN, the organization for the promotion
    of true digital open standards worldwide; please indicate your
    interests to: members@digistan.org
    4. Blog about OOXML which shapes the public debate; blogging has been
    instrumental to our success in Sweden for example;
    5. support our campaign work with financial means:
    http://www.noooxml.org/donations

Best regards,

--
    Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion>
    <NO>OOXML Campaign leader

As a result of my digging around I came across
    In typical UK government organisations style they aren't really saying anything (me suspects financial interest by members of the panel)

Also worthy of a read (funny who you find on the net, accepting comments from the public) http://adjb.net/comments.php?y=07&m=09&entry=entry070909-104641

Did anybody but me actually get involved with this campaign, or are we looking at yet another M$ railroading of standards?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  10. varnull

varnull Guest

Well I can report a small but important victory in the battle against closed standards and ballot rigging.. read more

11. OzMick

OzMick Guest

The more I think about this, the more it looks like the ISO committee is going to be sounding their own death knell if OOXML is accepted. The entire process has revealed itself to be a mockery, open to manipulation and bribery in various forms. The whole situation sucks. While in my private life I couldn't possibly care less about the existence OOXML, at the end of the day I'm essentially making my living by being an Excel Guru so this is going to impact me in a big way I think, whichever way it goes. At least if it is approved I'll only have one new semi-proprietary format to code for I guess, but at what cost? RIP ISO 02/1947 - 03/2008?

While I appreciate that thanks to Microsoft I'll be in a job for as long as I want it, I'm going to have my work cut out for me because of this shit sooner or later. We're presently on Office 2003, and I am NOT looking forward to all the macro rewrites I'm going to have to do in the next couple of years... I'm grateful for having a job, I'd just prefer it if it didn't have to be because Microsoft kept creating their own proprietary formats that are incompatible.

Another item for thought: how many patents does OOXML rely upon in order to create an ISO certified implementation? Think about it... Microsoft can finally start earning money from their document format whether people use MS Office or not...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  12. varnull

varnull Guest

I was dong my usual browse around the related articles and came across this one..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/11/becta_vista/

This paragraph shows clearly how microshaft operates..

As schools are all publicly funded institutions the OFT can lawfully only find against M$ in this situation.. If they had any real balls they would BAN schools from using commercial (and damn expensive) OS solutions in the first place.. A UK school IT and computer related qualification is no more than how to use a couple of M$ apps like word etc..
    A major part of my work is installing *nix on school hardware, mainly due to the fact that the continual fees to run M$ on their school machines drains what little money they have.
    Oh.. what about *nix being hard to use?? In a locked down school environment where the computers are supposed to be looked after by a "capable and competent" IT department tech there shouldn't be an issue, though I must admit to doing some one on one refresher training of staff who haven't seen *nix since college many many years ago.. From the students viewpoint there is practically no difference, except it stops them wasting around sneakily playing games :lol:

I use dreamlinux for schools (unless they directly specify something else), mainly because it's look and feel is very mac-os and the applications look nice.

This issue is so much more important to every computer user than any continual banging on and on about blu-ray hd-dvd.. aD should get with the program and start covering these stories on the main news threads, using it's member base as a campaigning tool against totalitarian monopolies.. hold on.. US based servers. don't rock the boat..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008