1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO vs MDS

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ricflair, Nov 26, 2003.

1. ricflair

ricflair Member

OK, OK, yes, this topic has come up before, but after scanning the answers repeatedly, I still (and Im sure many other hapless newbies) cant quite understand a few critical points in regard to DVD Decrypter.

I ,like many others, have followed the guide 100%, yet after ripping our DVD, we do not get the .ISO file as promised, but typically 3 files - an IO1 file, an IO2 file, and an .mds file. The guide says to BURN THE ISO file onto your DVD, well, what are we supposed to do? another thread said - "just burn the .mds file - but hang on - that file is only 5kb large!? - how can a 5kb file possibly contain the 4.3gb of my DVD?

Should we burn all three of these files?
    Should I burn just the .mds - if YES, HOW - for the love of god does it contain a movie
    Are we missing something - why dont we get our ISO???

I have another quick query - does this way also work... How about ripping the DVD into .VOB files - (this leaves us with about 4 or 5) THEN, use a program like VOBmerge to join them together into one 4.3gb .VOB file and then burning it. I know this will work on a computer DVD-ROM - but will it also work on a DVD player (like ps2 etc)

cheers

Ric

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

3. ricflair

ricflair Member

yeah - I think so, i have 3.1.7.0 and 3.1.6.0 - but still no ISO file turns up.

I was looking on another thread where some dude reckoned he simply burned that .mds file and it worked??!!

Can someone explain how this can be true (remember that .mds file comes out at a massive 5kb > DVD = 4.3gb)

thanks

4. ricflair

ricflair Member

yeah - I think so, i have 3.1.7.0 and 3.1.6.0 - but still no ISO file turns up.

I was looking on another thread where some dude reckoned he simply burned that .mds file and it worked??!!

Can someone explain how this can be true (remember that .mds file comes out at a massive 5kb > DVD = 4.3gb)

thanks

5. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

To burn in ISO in DVD Decrypter you will need to select ISO read mode from the Mode tab in the toolbar. To write an ISO file you would select ISO write from that same toolbar. I think the .mds file is like a .ifo providing navigation to burn the ISO. This is only speculation because you can burn great DVD from either file as long as both files are there.

6. ricflair

ricflair Member

thanks, I think you might be right. What I think is that the IO1 and IO2 files are just split up parts of a standard ISO, and that .mds is just a que file. Who knows, if it works, it works.
    If not, at least I have a new frisbee. Will post the result for other hapless dudes like myself.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

MDS ==> Alcohol120
    ISO ==> Anything.

8. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

ricflair
    A question I should have asked last night. Which operating system are you running and are your drives FAT32 or NTFS. FAT 32 drives have a 4gb file limitation. If you are creating ISO files larger than 4gb - most DVDs - then you would have the ISO files split to work with that limitation.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  9. ricflair

ricflair Member

Im using Millenium edition, and I am sure my drives are FAT32 (well put it this way I am certain they are not NTFS). This would be the reason why I guess. Anyway, I tried burning last night with just the .mds and it worked fine. Thanks chthomson, you are the first and only person who has been able to explain WHY those files are split, and that it makes no difference in the procedure.

cheers

ric