1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Audible (.aa) Files: No Searching Involved

Discussion in 'Audio' started by linkvoid, Nov 20, 2007.

1. linkvoid

linkvoid Guest

I created this thread to save the time of searching the internet or other time-consuming threads.

Since I know how difficult it is to find everything to make an Audible (.aa) file into an MP3 or any other format, I've created a kit which contains everything you'll need. It doesn't matter if you have any version of Audible Manager installed, and the version of Windows Media Player that you have doesn't matter either.

Here's how to do it:

1. Download the kit here.

2. Extract the files, then install Goldwave (gwave522.exe). Once installed, copy the LAME MP3 Encoder (lame_enc.dll) to "C:\Program Files\GoldWave".

3. Install the audible media player filter (AudibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe). If a message pops up saying that you are missing a dll, do a search for that missing dll and download it, moving it to "Windows\System". (When I installed it, I needed a file called "msvci70.dll", so I've included it in the kit assuming that you will need it too.)

4. Test the media player filter by opening your Audible (.aa) files using Windows Media Player.

5. Open Goldwave and open your Audible (.aa) file. Goldwave will take a few minutes or so to read the file, depending on the size. Once Goldwave has read the file, go to "File > Save As", and pick the format you want to convert to in the drop-down menu. Click Save.

6. Let your .aa file bake at 350 degrees for awhile. Once its finished converting, transfer to your MP3 player (or cd, media player, or whatever) and enjoy your new MP3 (or other format) audiobook!

Note: If you upgrade or otherwise change your version of Windows Media Player, you might need to repeat step 3 (reinstall the Audible Media Player Filter)

2. nmckay20

nmckay20 Member

It seems that aUDIBLE no longer have a download for audible media player filter, and I can't find one online either. Any more ways that I can get my paid for .aa file into an mp3????

3. nmckay20

nmckay20 Member

I should mention, windows media player is playing my .aa files but Goldware is refusing to open it.

4. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Interesting. A $45 solution to .aa -> mp3. You can also do it with TotalRecorder for $17.95.

5. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I just bought a program called Tunebite (paid $39 for the platinum version that also converts drm'd video and it can save Audible files to one of several formats. The only problem is it does it in realtime.

www.tunebite.com

It starts up Itunes & plays through that for Audible files.

6. ut1880h

ut1880h Guest

Hi,

I always have used Goldwave ver. 5.08. It's fast and allows very quick file splitting and re-naming. I haven't bothered to go to any later version since this one performs so marvelously. After mistakenly upgrading the Audible Manager and losing Goldwave's ability to open the .aa files, I tried several methods for restoring the capability. I tried an older Audible Media Player Filter but for some reason it wouldn't work. Probably not the same filter version as provided in linkvoids kit. I ended up finding an old version of Audible Manager (v. 3.5). I just un-installed the new version of AM and installed the old 3.5 version. I guess, all that was doing was probably overwriting the new Media Player filter with an older one. Not sure. Anyways, that worked fine. I hadn't come across linkvoid's kit or I would've tried it out. I have downloaded it and may just upgrade AM and GW and see how his (or her?) MP filter works. I can always go back to GW 5.08 and AM 3.5. It's easy!

BTW - I posted a thread at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/103313/3786317 that contains a link to my torrent for a package I put together and made available at the Pirates Bay. If you don't know how to use bit torrents or what that's all about, I guess, if you ask, I can explain the ease, wonders, and dangers, of the torrent world. Anyway, the package (or kit) contains Goldwave 5.08 (the same as I've used for years to convert between many formats - not just .aa), Audible Manager 3.5 (tried and true), and two very powerful batch file editing utilities; RenameMaster 2.7.6 (the latest) and Tag&ReName 3.4 (almost the latest). Tag&ReName is the best ID3 tag editor that I've tried. With it, you can easily make audio book mp3 files behave quite well in any mp3 player. RenameMaster is much better at changing file names enmasse than Tag&reName (or, for that matter, any other renaming programs I've come across) with a very user-friendly interface coupled with an extremely powerful name editing and previewing capability. These two programs together make mp3 file organization and tagging a cinch.

So, if you have any unresolvable trouble with linkvoid's kit, just get all or whatever you want from my download. For convenience, here's two links to it:

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4014988/audible.com_aa_format_conversion_toolz.4014988.TPB.torrent

or

http://isohunt.com/download/33639292/audible

If you need a great bit torrent client, get uTorrent (its free) - http://www.utorrent.com/download.php

If you have any questions just post them here or the other post or email me: ut1880h@operamail.com I'll do my best to be responsive (for a while, anyway).

ut

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  7. ut1880h

ut1880h Guest

I tested Linkvoid's kit versus the kit I referred to in my post yesterday. I uninstalled my old versions of audible manager and goldwave 5.08 and installed gw 5.22 and latest audible manager (downloaded from audible,com). Linkvoid's media filter worked fine. So... I'd say Linkvoids solution is better than my work-around. Forget everything I posted yesterday - use Linkvoid's kit.

ut

8. jangell2

jangell2 Member

New member here. I'm using Vista Home Premium and followed linkvoid's original post. When I started I did not have audible installed. I did steps 1-4 and Windows Media Player said it was missing a codec. I proceeded to run Goldwave and was able to open .aa files and convert them to mp3's. I was even able to use Goldwave to split the aa file into separate mp3's at 5 minute intervals.

Than I went to audible and installed the last version of audible manager. Now Goldwave "Cannot determine format of file" and the file cannot be opened properly. It appears that audible is now got something going that interferes with Goldwave.

I'm open to ideas.

9. jangell2

jangell2 Member

The change is permanent. I just installed audible and Goldwave still does not work.

10. ut1880h

ut1880h Guest

1. Re-install AudibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe from linkvoid's kit.

2. If that doesn't solve the problem, uninstall Audible Manager.

Download this zip file:
    aa_conv_toolz.zip

Install the old Audible Manager 3.5 included in the zip file. If that doesn't work, read the How to.txt file. Uninstall linkvoid's Goldwave and install the older version included in the zip. Everything in that zip file is before Audible screwed up the deal.

BTW - I had the same problem as you. That's why I assembled the zip file with all the goodies.

Good luck...

11. jangell2

jangell2 Member

I tried reinstalling audiblemediaplayerfiler.exe and it installed ok. I didn't even test it in winmediaplayer. I opened up GW 5.22 and the first time I opened a .aa file, it does open, but a small window called something like audible navigator opens up and I click on it and GW closes abnormally. I open GW, open a .aa file, same window comes up, but I don't touch it and GW keeps working and is currently working right now, producing the mp3.

BTW, I had already uninstalled audible manager and haven't reinstalled it yet. I wonder what will happen if I install it? If I install your old version, will it support downloads from audible? Also, when I open the .aa file in GW, I don't get the window requesting userid and password.

Thanks for your help.

12. jangell2

jangell2 Member

BTW, is the a good and free program to do a batch rename of files?

13. ut1880h

ut1880h Guest

Leave the Audible Navigator window alone while converting. That's normal (it used to disappear from view - but doesn't under many circumstances - it is necessary for the conversion process).

Don't re-install the NEW Audible Manager!

You must have some version of Audible Manager working - otherwise, you shouldn't get the Navigator screen. Whenever any aa file is accessed it causes Audible Manager to send your user id and password and other info to Audible.com. All this info is embedded in every aa file (and some info is on your local PC) so they can check that its being opened by a valid user. Audible Manager has to be running in order for this to occur. Audible then sends back an OK to open the file and it then uses the AudibleMediaPlayerFilter to translate the aa into recognizable audio format, sending that on to Goldwave.

I wouldn't re-install anything unless you have problems downloading from Audible.com. In that case, try to uninstall the current Audible Manager. If you can't find it to uninstall don't worry about it. Install the old Audible Manager in the zip file. It still works fine with Audible.com. From then on, keep that old version - don't upgrade it to any new one. That is, unless Audible finally makes it impossible to use anything BUT some new version.

As far as the user id and password - usually you just have to do this once. If everything works, don't worry about it. Just double check and make sure you can still download from Audible.com. If not install the old AM.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2008
  14. jangell2

jangell2 Member

I did the uninstall for Programs & Features in Vista. I just looked at the program list again and it's not there. Perhaps the AudibleMediaPlayerFilter is enough to cause the navigation screen?

In any case, once I decide to download again, I'll install version 3.5 from your zip file.

Have you run across a good batch renamer of files that's free?

15. ut1880h

ut1880h Guest

You'll like RenameMaster! Download the setup here: Rename Master

Another very useful program is "Tag&Rename" - Softpointer.com. It's not as good at renaming as RenameMaster but is amazingly powerful (and user friendly)for tag editing (batch or single file).

16. jangell2

jangell2 Member

Thank you, I appreciate that.

BTW, I've installed the audible manager in your zip but haven't run it yet. I want to finish converting all the audible books I already have to mp3's before running it.

17. ut1880h

ut1880h Guest

Try downloading something from Audible.com before you install anything. If you can download from them there's no reason to change anything.

Good luck.

18. jangell2

jangell2 Member

Well, I've got your stuff installed and am able to create mp3's. BTW, is there a good freeware mp3 program that will split a large mp3 into multiple tracks based on pause detection.

I just bought some more books and couldn't download them. I got several error messages. It looks like I'll have to uninstall your audible manager and install the current one to download these. Then, if I want to create mp3's, I'll have to uninstall the new one, and reinstall yours. I ought to get good at this after a while.

19. jangell2

jangell2 Member

I bought some more books and had to install the current audible manger to get them. After they were all downloaded, I uninstalled audible, reinstalled ut1880h's AudibleMediaPlayerFilter. I had never uninstalled ut1880h's goldwave. I then opened a .aa file with goldwave and it worked. I was able to load and save books as mp3's. Without installing the old audible from ut1880h's zip file. I was never asked for an id or password, but the navigation screen from audible does pop up.

20. jangell2

jangell2 Member

I posted before I was done. I am now thinking that all I have to do to download more books and convert to mp3, is install the current audible and after downloading, uninstall audible, install the audible filer from ut1880h's zip, and I'm cookin' with gas.