1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how long top copy / burn in Dvd fab Platinum/ HOW CAN I SPEED UP

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by realrock, Dec 7, 2007.

1. realrock

realrock Member

I HAVE AN ATHLON 64 PC . HOWEVER IT TAKES WELL OVER AN HOUR TO BACKUP A DVD ? i ADDED 512 MORE RAM GIVING ME 1 GB TOTAL RAM AND STILL ONLY MARGINAL INCREASE IN SPEED . HOW ELSE CAN I SPEED IT UP ?? I HAVE A FRIEND WITH A ATHLON 64 DUAL CORE WITH 2 GB RAM AND IT COPYS / BURNS AND ALL IN LIKE 15 MINUTES !!MIONES LIKE 1HR AND A HALF .. AND NOT ANY FASTER ON OTHER APPS. ? IVE CHECKED DEVICE MANAGER FOR MY DVD DRIVE AND DMA IS ENABLED ??? BUT WHY UNDER IDE/ATAPI CONTROLLERS DO I HAVE 3 PRIMARY IDE CHANNELS AND 3 SECONDARY ???? ANYWAY ANY INPUT IS WELCOMED ??? BY THE WAY IT USED TO BE MUCH ..MUCHH FASTER ?? EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE ??

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi, next time post in caps and lower case, all caps appear that you are shouting to us.

1) try disc defrag on HDD
    2)use antivirus and trojan remover on HDD
    3) I have a 2.4G P4 and it takes a s about what u say it does to backup
    4) My dual core does it inn what u say your friends does it in

3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. realrock

realrock Member

Ive removed and reinstalles my primary and secondary Ide channels and my dvd drive , Still about the same ??Like I said I used to do a complete dvd in around 1/2 hour or less ???? ive also run defrag and virus scan . all ok... I even cleaned my dvd drive .. hmmmmmmmm

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

check and make sure you're burn speed isn't set to low 8x is fine

6. realrock

realrock Member

On my Dvd drive properties the recording speed is set to FASTEST ? I have other options from 1x - 40X . should i try something else ?

7. realrock

realrock Member

actually I did one today and it took over 2 hours to complete everything !!

8. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

How full is your HDD (in %) ?

BTW ZosoIV, howya doing bro, Merry Christmas!

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

doing great ,thanks Merry Christmas to you also

realrock, can you try a different drive in your PC ,something isn't right, no way it should take over 20 to 30 mins.have you cleaned you machine latley? disc cleanup drfragging etc.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  10. realrock

realrock Member

My HDD is 58% full , and yes I try to keep it clean, Ive defragged it a couple days ago and run cleanup , spyware , virus // all of that . I only have one Drive in my PC though. would an expansion drive work ???? like a usb ??? And the thing that puzzles me is other Programs like Sonor a multi track recording program that uses and xfers tons of data runs great! ????????? back when it was fast the pc was brand new and had little data on the HDD. Should I have 3 Primary and 3 secondary IDE channels ? just wondering ?

11. realrock

realrock Member

but.. if i remember correctly in Device manager I have "DMA if available" selected on ALL of the channels and " auto detection .BUT.. "current transfer mode " says "not applicable" ????????

12. realrock

realrock Member

well , I fixed my slow prob , Funny thing ... initially I checked my DMA and it was enabled on all channels .. reinstalled my Primary and secondary channels .. no improvement .. after re checking them I found then that one of my secondary channels was on PIO mode.. Zfunny though before my reinstalling the channels it looked normal.. anyway now it smokes again.. 15 minutes or so for the whole thing ! thanks guys.

13. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

great glad its fixed sure sounded like a PIO problem and it was!

14. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

hi zoso, and a happy new year to you also. it doesn't take me long to back up, and burn a dvd w/dvdfab platinum, but i noticed that no matter what i set the write speed to it won't reach it all the way. my burner's a sammy sata sh-s203b. never seen this when taking my file set to imgburn and burning there. is the burn engine in dvdfab platinum not calculating the correct speed? also does this have anything to do w/how large you set the output size in the dvd-5 setting? right now it's at 4472, it was at 4300. it's also set to packet writing on the write type setting. don't have a clue what that is, or if sao would show, or make things better. thnx.

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

dr_ml422, the burn speed will vary from program to program a bit. I've noticed that also using different burning engines so its typical. Most programs don't reach max speed or they may for a min or two then slow down. So its theres not a problem with dvdfab platinum,. The size of the output file wouldn't matter either. I'm not sure what the packet writing is either lol.

a few things you can do to keep you're burn speed constant is don't multi task while burning and keep you're machine clean using ccleaner etc. doing a disc cleanup and defragging often (at least once a week) on a note about the burn speed, since you have a sata drive i wouldn't burn above 12x max. I use sata optical drives and burn at 8x max. Hope this helps you out

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  16. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

thnx zoso. i figured it had nothing to do w/my pc, or burner. i also burn at 8x. just once tried at 12x to see what would happen. if you find out anything about the packet writing, or sao, plse let me know. i'm pretty sure some others could benefit from the info as well.

i started lol myself when i read your reply. some of these proggies have so much features, and i guess lil time 4 myself, and maybe others to learn all the goodies they have to offer. i surrendered last week, and snatched platinum. i got tired of using 3 apps. to do a backup.

17. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Can't believe nobody's asked this before what bloody programs are you guys using?

If your burning at the highest quality settings, and it's a full-length feature film then backing up can take up to an hour or an hour and a half. Hell an hours around the norm for me, I used Nero Recode 2+AnyDVD at the highest settings and with my decent specs I average around an hour.

Be patient, 15-20 minutes to back up an entire DVD is still quite rare, and usually only applies to those with Quadcores and such. It also could mean people aren't taking the care or time to back up their movies at decent quality settings and are burning at unnecessarily high speeds, it's not a race people...

18. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

amir 15 to 20 minutes is the norm, especially w/a 1 click tool like dvdfab platinum. i don't have a quad-core. i just have a dell e310, 80gb hd, w/a pent4. my burners are the lg that came w/my dell, and the sata samsung sh-s203b. you're either too full on your hd w/out too much storage, or some of your proggies are resource hogs, like nero. try unloading as much stuff as you can, and do a good clean up + defrag. at 8x burning w/a dvd-r 16x that's about all it should take is about 20 minutes. go here, http://forum.digital-digest.com/. there's a power user thread, and also a free up system resources thread that'll tune up your pc and make it more suitable 4 video work. of course you also have to check out how many proggies you have on your comp, and the space they're taking up, along w/how much stuff you have stored as well.

19. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I find that DVDFab Platinum's burning engine, which is VSO, will give you slower burn times. Try changing the burning engine to Nero, if you have it, in the settings of DVDFab. Nero will burn at a truer speed than the VSO burning engine.

20. Rustbuket

Rustbuket Member

in dvdfab it takes about 20 minutes to rip the "Movie Only" and another 15 minutes to burn the movie onto a blank dvd r. (Depending on movie size)
    I have dvdfab set on "Slowest" for burn speed. It shows a burn speed of between 4X to 5X during the burn.
    I have a HP 20X dvd burner but i try to keep the burn speed down to around 4X.