1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I backup my pc game

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by matt1231, Jan 5, 2008.

1. matt1231

matt1231 Guest

Hey GFuys,

I am new at this. I have copied my dvd's and music cd's. How do I copy my pc games. I want to make back ups so I don't ruin the originals. I have vsodivxtodvd,convertxtodvd,dvdfab,dvddecrypter,dvdshrink,dvdflick,and imagburn to copy all my other projects. CAn I use any of these to back up my pc games. Can someone tell me what i need to do. And what software I need if anything other then what I have. Can I use a cd-r or do I have to use a dvd-r. SOme help please.

Thanks,

MAtt

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

3. dougal79

dougal79 Regular member

Yeah, id go with Gamejackal.
    Great program.

This is what it says in the NFO file i got with mine:

Play all your favorite games without inserting a single cd!
    Using your game's original CD or DVD,
    create a Game Jackal profile that enables you to play
    your favourite games directly from the hard drive... CD-Free!
    Once a profile has been created the CD or DVD,
    can then be put away for safe keeping,
    protecting your gaming investment for years to come,
    and ensuring hunting for and inserting a games disc,
    is a thing of the past.

4. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Guys... he wants to make a backup copy of his game, not run it without the disc in the drive. Those are two completely different things.

matt1231:

Depending on the game and the copy protection it uses it may or may not be possible to make a working backup of it. None of those programs you have are for creating PC game back ups.

I would recommend Alcohol 120%; basically you use it to image files from the original disc and then burn those onto a blank one. If the original came on a DVD then your going to need a blank DVD, if it came on CD's then use CDs.
    If used correctly Alcohol can defeat the copy protection's on most games, and create 1:1 (perfect) copies. Otherwise if you can't make a 1:1 copy, then you can always make an image of the original disc and store it on your HD. You can then mount it on a Virtual Drive tool like Daemon Tools which will emulate the disc and let you play/install your game without the original.

5. ablevins

ablevins Guest

I can't believe there are games out there that cannot be backed up. Didn't someone in a post say that any movie can be backed up? If the games can't be why is that movies can? Why don't the movies use the same encryption as the gaming industry?

I am having problems with backing up my copy of Resident Evil 4. Anyone have any experience with this. I have tried using a couple of programs, but nothing. They all say to insert the original disk when trying to use a copy. Thanks!!!

6. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Believe it and get used to it. The Video Game industry is light years ahead of the copy protection DVD films use.
    Games and movies use very different copy-protection systems, mainly because the of the differences of the data stored on the discs and the devices which play them.

DVD Films contain video and have to be compatible with standalone players which cannot decode complex encryption systems, and cannot do things like connecting to the Internet to verify discs, etc.. While PC game discs are run solely on PC's and as such are free to use far more stringent encryption methods.

ablevins
    Start a new thread, don't hijack somebody elses..

7. ablevins

ablevins Guest

Sorry that was my first post. Didn't get all the way through the rules yet. Thanks!!