1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Xbox HDD Success due to New Tutorial that needs to be added!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by LufianGuy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

So I softmodded awhile ago and are about to attempt to replace the HDD.

Here are some guides for this process:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/407140 - Mik3h
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828 - Chunkhead

Here are some youtube vids for this process:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-MX6yk6MgGU - Part 1
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TciIVrkkpDw - Part 2
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=oAaVfVgsAgo - Part 3

There are pictures of opening the Xbox here:
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/open1.php

I have some questions as always:

1. What is the easiest way to do this whole process?

2. So I hook up the HDD to primary master and hook the CD-ROM Drive up to what (secondary slave or something)? Primary Slave

3. Do I really have to physically take everything out of the computer except for the new HDD and CD-ROM drive or can I leave the other stuff in there but just unplug em?

4. What speed should I burn the .iso at?

5. How do I set my bios back to boot from the master HDD once I am done?

6. How do I go back to Evox after I use UnleashX to format the whole 320GB HDD?

I know master Chunkhead has answers!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

1. What is the easiest way to do this whole process?

I wrote my guide to answer this question, it's the most complete and easy tutorial available!

2. So I hook up the HDD to primary master and hook the CD-ROM Drive up to what (secondary slave or something)?

CD-Rom should already be Secondary Master. You are simply unplugging the PC HDD.

3. Do I really have to physically take everything out of the computer except for the new HDD and CD-ROM drive or can I leave the other stuff in there but just unplug em?

No, simply unplug, removing would be overkill

4. What speed should I burn the .iso at?

ISO file is only small, burn at what ever you feel works, 4x is always safest!

5. How do I set my bios back to boot from the master HDD once I am done?

BIOS should be on 'AUTO' by default, simply plugging back in your Master PC HDD will suffice.

6. How do I go back to Evox after I use UnleashX to format the whole 320GB HDD?

Load UnleashX as an application, not a dash.

3. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

More Questions:

1. My CD-ROM Drive is set to secondary slave, the DVD-ROM Drive is set to secondary master, should I switch them?

2. So you are saying I should Install Evox as the dash when I do my softmod, then load UnleashX as an application (not sure how to do that or where to download it) and format F that way?

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

1. My CD-ROM Drive is set to secondary slave, the DVD-ROM Drive is set to secondary master, should I switch them?

You are aware that a DVD-ROM can read CDs too...

2. So you are saying I should Install Evox as the dash when I do my softmod, then load UnleashX as an application (not sure how to do that or where to download it) and format F that way?

Only if you want Evox as a dash!

5. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

More questions:

1. Should I screw and fasten the new HDD into place while in my computer or will it be ok sitting in the cage (I'm not sure how durable HDDs are)?

2. How come when I go to format on UnleashX it asks me for a password, what is the password? Xbox

3. When I put in this 320GB Xbox HDD, will I need to format F or G?

4. When following your Upgrade Xbox HDD guide, it says to plug the new HDD in after you turn on the computer (I have never done that before). Is it ok to have it plugged in before you turn on the computer (Mik3h's guide says it is)?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  6. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

1. Should I screw and fasten the new HDD into place while in my computer or will it be ok sitting in the cage (I'm not sure how durable HDDs are)?

Not really, as long as you don't bash them around! If you can, slide them into a spare slot, non need to screw it in (No harm either, just you have to remove it again!)

2. How come when I go to format on UnleashX it asks me for a password, what is the password? Xbox

The password is 'Xbox' as you said!

3. When I put in this 320GB Xbox HDD, will I need to format F or G?

F:\ should be formatted with XboxHDM during install, UnleashX will be needed to format G:\

4. When following your Upgrade Xbox HDD guide, it says to plug the new HDD in after you turn on the computer (I have never done that before). Is it ok to have it plugged in before you turn on the computer (Mik3h's guide says it is)?

That info was provided to combat certain BIOS issues. It's fine to have it plugged in before you turn it on, but if having issues, wait until it loads!

8. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Hope 8x works, it is as low as I can go!

Yea it works fine n boots to the menu. Now I just gotta hook up the HDD and unplug everything except for the new HDD and DVD-ROM Drive.

How long does the process of making a new Xbox HDD take (320GB Maxtor)?

what should the jumper on the HDD be set to inside of the Xbox?Master in PC, Cable Select in Xbox

I think I'm going to try to do this now :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  9. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG, I'M HAVING A PANIC ATTACK! I'm checking this topic a million times a day!

What I did:
    1. Unplugged everything except for the blank HDD (new right out of its box, set to master, but connected to a 250GB Seagate HDD IDE cable, not the one that came with it), the DVD-ROM Drive, and the power to the floppy drive (cuz it would be a bitch to put back in)

2. I booted the computer, it asked me to save changes, so I did.

3. Then it loaded the Xbox maker program from the CD. I hit 1, it says loading fatx....... (something like that), then the screen goes blank and stays that way after it says Ready.

4. If I leave the program alone and don't touch anything, it automatically started loading fatx n stuff that leads to the blank screen.

PLEASE HELP

EDIT
    I tried to let the program load, hook up the HDD method twice with the same result as b4 (Am I supposed to leave the power into it and just plug in the IDE cable? I just hooked both the IDE and Power into the HDD when the program loaded).

Possible Solutions I see:
    1. Use the included IDE Cable (not sure how it will function with my 250GB Seagate Slave, both HDDs r the exact same except for size)

2. Take the power out of the Floppy Drive (IDE is removed)

3. Maybe I am supposed to have the new HDD and the DVD-ROM Drive on the same IDE cable? (The guy in the youtube video put both of them onto the Primary IDE Cable, I have the new HDD on Primary Master, and the DVD-ROM Drive on Secondary Master = not on the same IDE Cable)

4. Format the HDD in Windows first?

5. I just checked that my eeprom file was only called eeprom and not eeprom.bin. I renamed the file to eeprom.bin, made a new image, and it shows up on the mounted image as EEPROM_BIN

This 320GB Maxtor LO1Y300 HDD works in the compatibility list 2/2 LOCKING!
    http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=statistics&show=all

EDIT2
    So I put the CD-ROM Drive on as Primary Slave (both devices on the primary IDE Cable). Same result as before.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  10. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I put everything back to usual in my comp and everything is fine.

I'll just wait for Chunkhead to get on so we can troubleshoot to try to find out y this isn't working.

Worst comes to worse, I'll just pay someone $20 to do it.

EDIT
    In an attempt to be specific as possible, this video makes it easier to see.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TciIVrkkpDw

I get to the part where the Xbox HD Maker program starts. I hit 1 (or it automatically does it if I do nothing) and it loads until it says ready. I never get the next screen though, the monitor stays black after that n the CD stops.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  11. mario612

mario612 Member

hmmm, i have never seen XboxHDM do that before. what are the specs of your computer? (it might be irrelevant but you never know)
    another possiblility would be to try using XboxHDM on another computer if another is available.

One more thing you could try, if you havent already, is re-burning the xboxHDM cd, or you could even go as far as rebuilding the Iso.

and about your eeprom, it was most likely already named eeprom.bin. if your are using windowsXP, (if not, disregard this paragraph) by default it hides the filetype, so people don't make files unusable by renaming them. If you add a .___ extension, it will add that to the file name, not the filetype.
    there is a way too show filetype, but it shouldn't be necessary.
    Hope this helps some, and I hope you get your xbox working.
    -Mario612

12. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I rebuilt the ISO after renaming my eeprom to eeprom.bin (I do use Win XP). I mounted the new ISO and saw the eeprom on the ISO is called EEPROM_BIN now.

I honestly think this is due to the aging of my CDRW burner and the fact the lowest speed it could burn was 8x.

I'm going to see if I can burn the ISO at my college.

As for comp specs:
    1.66 ghz CPU
    1GB RAM
    All IDE
    CDRW & DVD-ROM Drives
    Floppy Drive (maybe I should try to do this from floppy disk?)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate everything I can get. I really want to play PSO on my Xbox, but I need a big enough HDD for it.

EDIT
    Chunkhead please add pics of what the files on the CD r supposed to look like if you can.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  13. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Put it on a CDRW with 4x. Same result, this is BS!

Also asked for help here to receive none, love this crap:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=639242

Put in my sis' very old desktop. Seems to work fine, not sure if her comp can handle a whole 320GB HDD though.

This might solve my problem of it not working on my comp:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=337172&st=0

EDIT
    Success!
    With the link above, I was able to modify the xboxhdm into a failsafe version that works on my computer (although it messed up my internet, had to reboot twice for it to recognize my DSL). So now I can make the Xbox HDD in my computer and my sister's old computer.

ADD THAT LINK TO ALL XBOXHDM TUTORIALS PLEASE! ESPECIALLY YOU CHUNKHEAD!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  14. mario612

mario612 Member

Glad you had success. Any other problems, please post them, and we will see what we can do.
    -mario612

15. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

How long does the process of making a new Xbox HDD with xboxhdmaker take?

I gotta try to present some video games for a class and my best option is the Xbox. I need to replace the HDD to have room for the games.

16. varnull

varnull Guest

All you are adding is the standard linux cheat to boot awkward hardware
    Code:
    acpi=off
    Which disables certain hardware checking.
    I have to use
    Code:
    acpi=force
    on the old machine I use, otherwise it loops because of a non standard power switching arrangement.

It may work for you, but isn't going to solve 99% of non boot. You can type that at the command line anyway if you boot from a floppy, or increase the wait time in the config file.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008