1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Video Will Fit On A 8GB SD CARD ??

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by Culchie, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

I'm getting a Kodak Z812 IS HD Digital Cam. I have a 2GB Standard SD Card, but I'm guessing that won't hold much video. I'm not even sure yet of how long of clips I can take at a time. I want to know what I need, so I can include it with an order I'm getting ready to place. Any info will help greatly. Thanks.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

I think you should read this with regards to this camera and memory cards. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=583078&forum_id=18

I also came across a reference to a maximum recording time for video of 30 minutes per clip (depending on memory capacity) which looks like a method of preventing cinema filming.

I can't find any references to a maximum supported memory card size, but use the usual caution when buying larger ones as a large number of so called 4 and 8 gig cards are fakes. I can't even find an 8 gig SDHC card for sale in the "usual reputable" places, though there are as usual lots of "bargains" on flea-bay..

As for filesize for video.. it records in Quick-time MPEG4 format, so lots will depend on resolution and framerate.. impossible to guess without actually recording timed clips under varying conditions and comparing the results..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  3. frogno1

frogno1 Member

I have one Panasonic SD5, use FULL HD(1920X1080) capture about 90 minutes the 8G SD card will full.

4. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

Depends on resolution.

If you convert a dvd from dvd to mpeg-4 you are looking at 1.5 gig a video to even 2 gig's at full clearity.

At lower quality you are looking at 500 megs to 1.0 gig per video

Like i said it all depends.

5. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

I have a TZ3 with records in MOV format and I got a 15 min movie that was about 880MB. So four 15min clips (1 hour movie) would take about 3.5GB (880MB X 4).

I am using a 4GB SDHC card.