1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hooking up laptop to HDTV (VGA to DVI, DVI to HDMI??)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by stefan109, Jan 17, 2008.

1. stefan109

stefan109 Member

hi, i have a laptop that im trying to hook to my 52" sharp aquos lcd tv..my laptop (dual core, vid card ati mobility firegl V5250, HD output) only has a VGA female connector. my friend has told me to get a VGA Male to DVI Female then use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the TV. however i have been told this will not produce HD results (1080P) on the TV due to the conversion. I have also been told to just do VGA to VGA which i have done but i am unaware if this produces HD results and have not tested it yet. If anybody can give me any advice or knowledge (since i do not know much) on how to obtain a way of connecting my laptop to my tv with producing optimal results of HD (1080P)that would be great...thanx

2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Are you sure it only has VGA? Most laptops these days have at least DVI (if not HDMI). I just looked up the specs of your graphics card and I could only find the V5200 version (I can only assume that is a lower spec card) and it has DVI. Here's the link... http://ati.amd.com/products/Mobilityfireglv5200/specs.html

Here's a picture of the different type of connectors. Can you tell me 100% that yours is VGA (the top one)?

[​IMG]

3. stefan109

stefan109 Member

yes im sure it has only VGA Female output (the top one in your picture)...i wish it had DVI then i could just go DVI to HDMI, but cant. I have a lenovo T60P (IBM thinkpad)

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Then you will need to use adapters and/or converter cables.

To check if it is displaying 1080p, simply go to your display manager on your PC and check if you can set the resolution to 1920 x 1080.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  5. jerzmob

jerzmob Guest

i got the display working on my laptop to HDTV. I have DVI and i have the converter to VGA hooked up on my HDTV. I just want to know why doesn't my games want to display. I tried many games, like Condemned, Far Cry, but none of them show up.

6. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

You need to make sure that your HDTV is set to primary display in your display manager.

7. jerzmob

jerzmob Guest

i went to properties and the ID # it gives me for my HDTV is 1, which means it is the primary display, correct???

8. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Yes, that is right. Do you have both screens on (laptop and HDTV)?

It could be the GPU settings in the game. Sometimes the game settings can override the Windows settings for your graphics card. I would recommend only having the HDTV display on (laptop display off). If this doesn't help then I am unsure what is causing your problem.

9. jerzmob

jerzmob Guest

i am not quite sure what problem is. I have an NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7950GTX SLI and i go the control panel and i tried with & w/o SLI and i always my Samsung as the primary monitor. THat's what it states on the config. Well, i am gonig to be getting a DVI-I Male -> HDMI Female adapter and i hope that makes a difference as well. I want to HDMI anyways. I'll post back here if have any problems with it. THank you.

10. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

It wont make any difference... DVI and HDMI are basically the same thing, except DVI is minus the audio.

11. jlburrel

jlburrel Member

I'm having a similar problem except I don't need HD quality, just looking for a clear picture. I have a laptop with only vga and my hdtv only supports s-video, composite, component, and hdmi. I received my vga to component cable in the mail today and tried it. I've had no success yet with this cable. What could be the problem?

12. stefan109

stefan109 Member

thanx a lot guys for your help and i hope others solve their problems but i have solved my problem although i am now gettin a new problem. i am going VGA to VGA (since the tv has the input) and it is displaying at 1080P!!! (never knew that was possible through VGA!) my problem now is that I HAVE to make the tv the secondary monitor in order to view in 1080P and this is a prob cuz i have to leave my comp lid open because if i close it, the tv loses the signal. its not really a big deal i just close the lid half way and put a towel over it haha but if i knew a way where i could close it would be ideal. I have also tried playing with the settings with extended and clone and still i cant close the comp without it losing the signal! i dont know whats wrong!

if you have any suggestions that would be great
    thanx

13. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Go to "Display Properties", then click the "Screen Saver" tab up top, after that press the "Power" button, then press the "Advanced" tab up the top.

There you will be given an option to "When I close the lid on my portable computer"... You can select "Do nothing".

I have no idea why you can't set your HDTV to being the only display on and output 1080p. I do this all the time with my laptop. Although I have an ATIx700 card with DVI out.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  14. jerzmob

jerzmob Guest

i have another question. I bought a converter DVI-I Dual link Male to HDMI female. My question now is how do i get sound coming from my HDTV???

15. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

You will need to use the analog RCA connections (red & white).

16. Tactickal

Tactickal Member

Hello Everyone! I have the "ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 series" graphics card and am having problems connecting my laptop to my PAN TH42PX60U HDTV... I can use S-video but I am not satisfied with the picture quality, so I purchased a VGA to DVI cable and bought an adaptor piece that is DVI to HDMI, so it is connected correctly.... So i was curious to know what shall I do to fix my problem? or will it not even work at all? Thanks!