1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you tell what region a dvd is , also if a dvd is pal can it be a region 1

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dvdman101, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dvdman101

dvdman101 Regular member

hi ,

i have set of dvd's that i have trouble playing on my dvd player , i believe these disc are pal and not nstc , my question if the dvd 's are pal can they still be region 1 and how can you tell what region a dvd is , is there a program or can nero tell this . teh reason for asking is that i played one in my dvd burner in my computer and i was afriad it changed the region code , or would i have to go in and change this code on the sony burner my self or can it do it automatically , it is a internal sony dru 840 a and i checked the region code thru nero info tool and it says for region code none , is this right . thanks

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

no pal isnt region 1 its ntsc

to find out what format a dvd is load one of the .vobs files into GSPOT

dvdroms on your pc have 6 changes of region code as defualt, then on last/6th change lock the drive to that region. i have 4x drives 2 have hacked firmware in to disable region locking and 2 have software to unlock.

nero info tool will tell you region of drive

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

DVD Decrypter when you load it will also tell you what region that DVD is and if it is or not RCE protected. if you have the DVD case, you can look on the back and will tell you(most do) if it is Pal/NTSC and region.

DVD Decrypter will also tell you what code your drive is and how many changes you have left.

4. Suba

Suba Regular member

If it say "none", than you do not have set region yet. If you insert purchased or rented DVD disk it should ask for to set region, do it. It should play.
    If you run WinXP go to My computer-Properties-Hardware-Device Manager. Once in click on DVD/CD-ROM drives, double click on your DVD drive and than on tab "DVD Region". See what current region is and how many changes you have left.

5. dvdman101

dvdman101 Regular member

hi ,

i checked it and both drives say none were it says region code with 5 changes left . they are new and i put in a pal disc in them that was not region coded i don't think . i just wondered would it change this on it's own or would it prompt me to do so . thanks

6. dvdman101

dvdman101 Regular member

hi ,

i inserted a factory dvd and it prompt me to set the region code , so i set it to usa region one , i also put the disc in my 2nd burner and did the same setting the region code to region 1 as i live in the states . i guess this was the right thing to do .

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

yes, that was the right thing to do. What is the chance that you will be playing discs from Malayesia, Australia or some other regions on your PC anyway?

8. dvdman101

dvdman101 Regular member

okay ,

the only disc that i do have is some pal disc as i collect elvis presley footage and some of them come from england and other countries but so far most of them are region 0 , but i have a dvd player that plays anything you put in it so i usually use it . thanks for your reply , i was right to do both drives as i have 2 burners .

9. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Just run DVDFab HD Decrypter, it's free and it'll disable region-locking on any DVD movie and will tell you what region it is too.
    Don't bother fooling around with the region settings on your DVD drives when you don't have to at all..

10. Suba

Suba Regular member

Since you are going to play mostly region 1 disk, you did it right.
    Since you have a player which is region free, you are in a good shape.
    For computer you can always get software which will strip region code on the fly.