1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn x264 movies to DVD

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by 2slick4u, Jan 30, 2008.

1. 2slick4u

2slick4u Member

ok im new to HD i have some movies in x264 codec i belive mkv files and i would like to burn it to DVD , so what do i do first most of the movies are from 4 gigs to 9 gigs where would i start first what is the best way to burn these movies to regular DVD and watch them on my HD TV

2. 2slick4u

2slick4u Member

and also would the picture quality be the same after converting x264 to avi if not what to do to have the same pic quality than you

3. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Do you have an HDMI output in ur computer? It is the fastest and best way to play large 720 or 1080p rips on your HDTV :)

4. 2slick4u

2slick4u Member

yes i hane HDMI in tv and the hd upcoverter player

5. theridges

theridges Guest

you cant burn the x264 codec movies onto dvd and play them on a standalone dvd player it does not work...
    the only thing you can do is burn either xvid/divx or normal dvd and let the player upscale for you.

6. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

But does your computer have HDMI output? Because if it does just plug it right into your TV, as ridges is right with what he said :)

7. KARiJiNi

KARiJiNi Member

Best way is to hook your computer up via DVI/HDMI as this will give you the full resolution your HD display is capable of and the HD MKV's will be then the next determining factor. i.e. a 720p MKV (1280x720p) on a 1920x1080 display is upscaled.

However if you are stuck to a DVD player connected then you will probably be relying on an analogue connection and therefore the res/quality is restricted to that. The easiest way to convert MKV's to DVD's is with a program called ConvertXtoDVD available http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

I use this all the time to convert my backed up DVD's which are in H.264 (x264) format with AC3/DTS soundtracks, chapters & subtitles. I also have a few HD MKV's which work equally as well in ConvertXtoDVD.

Cheers,
    KARiJiNi

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

My biggest beef with the new convertX is U have no control over what it chops off and it chops off enough that its noticeable to me

9. KARiJiNi

KARiJiNi Member

I presume you mean what it crops from the frame. When encoding I always leave it at 720x576 (PAL) or crop and resize back up to 720x576. Makes life much easier when you need to recreate a DVD or for that matter use a conversion program as the aspect ratio is either 4:3 or 16:9 depending on the original source.

What I dislike is the fact you cannot select a timeframe i.e. it's the whole file or nothing. You can add multiple files but you cannot change the start and end frame (as far as I'm aware).

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

BasiclLy YES That's what I mean, but mine is NTSC. I always use G-Spot and stay with the original aspect ratio. But it still crops ON EA Side. Now WinAVI doesn't do that, but You loose a little quality. Now as far as start and end, you'll have to explain in a little more depth. When I need to remove some of the beginning or end I use VirtualDubMod under Video (Direct stream copy). Then use the half arrows to mark the beginning and end of the AVI.
    Also U can join 2 AVIs, use the half arrow to select the end of the 1st AVI, then append the second AVI,THEN USE THE HALF ARROWS TO MARK THE END AND THE BEGINNING. Just save in a different file, I do this as most movies I D/L Are in 2 700MB FILES & I make one 1400MB file. I don't know if you've ever noticed that when you convert two halves of a movie, when you play it in your DVD Player it has a slight pause before continuing. That annoys me also, that's why I join them

11. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Hi, i couldn't help but reply to your use of virtualdub to join two avi files, thats not the way to do it, you can join two avi files flawlessly using virtauldub with out the need for sliders? then you can cut the beginning and end with the sliders.

Open VirtualDub, under file select your avi file, for example CD1, under Video set it to Direct stream copy.

Then under file select Append AVI segment and select your file to be joined, i.e. CD2, then under file select Save as AVI and choose your destination folder and click save, you will see a progress bar working, it only takes a few minutes with two 700MB files.

Why do you set the slider to the end of the first avi file before appending.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008