1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gonna Replace the HDD, Need help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Etrain16, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Etrain16

Etrain16 Member

Hey guys, first post, wohoo!

Anyway, I am planning to be betting XBMC on my Xbox(duh). Thing is I plan to put more than 8Gb of data on my Xbox. I will be changing it out for a 40-80gb HDD. I am not sure what I need to do as far as the OS goes. I am not sure if the XBMC mod will work if I do not have the Xbox OS on it. What can I do to get it on the new HDD if I need to? Does the Xbox HDD use a special format that I can't replicate? I have no problem with it not working like a regular Xbox anymore, as I do not use it. I would just like to use it with the XBMC mod, and have a larger HDD. Thanks in advance.

2. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

First of all, you'll need to mod your xbox either through a hard mod or a soft mod and go from there. I'd recommend a hard mod as it is a lot easier to manage. Xenium 24K chip is the one I'd get as that is the one I use. Then you'll need a bios for the chip; recommend m8+. And then you'll need to get an autoinstaller. Slayers autoinstaller is good, but there are others out there. Simply put, you'll have to find a torrent for the autoinstaller. After you get all that, buy your new hdd of size no bigger than 350GB. I'd go with a 160 or less. And then open your xbox, get the mod chip installed and then swap out your hdd, and put it back together. Add the retail kernal dashboard from the menu in your add item. Flash your chip with the bios file. and then pop in your autoinstaller disc in the drive and load the bios from the launch menu and then go from there. It's easy, just follow the options for a clean install, and then unload the disc from the rom, and reboot. Thenload that same bios from the launch menu, and you'll be in your new dashboard. And then you can FTP whatever you please.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

4. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

I have 3 xboxs all with 320 gig hdd and wish I had more space. Bigger is better

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've got a 500GB drive in my main xbox, which should be enough; i hear you can use the largest IDE drive which is 750GB though, by the time i might fill the 500GB the 750GB should hopefully be cheaper

6. suitman

suitman Member

Probley the stupidest thing i've done cuz I really dont need all the space, but my 1TB western digital works in my Xbox.

7. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

I would love to have your hdd. I would be able to consolidate a lot of stuff.

8. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

Just to let you know, I used to use a 750 GB hdd (Seagate) in my xbox and it is a lot slower in speed than the smaller hdd. Sometimes when going from dashboard to something else, it can take some time, like up to a minute or freezes. Guess that's all part of the data corruption and what not that these bigger drives deal with. My suggestion is to just get an external hdd and share it to the xbox to get the most out of it.