1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble playing avi's with xbmc

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by yungjeezy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

Hey some avis i have when watching them, they start skipping, im using xbmc to watch them......its only just started doing this, i had the lastest REV version of xbmc, but now have gone back to the Final 2006 rls, and still its doing it.

its really annoying when your watching a movie and it starts skipping all of a sudden i have to skip 5 mins of it and then it goes alright but then it comes back again....

any help please??? ive tried going back xbmc versions but still no luck.

2. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

ok i just reformatted HD and reinstalled all programs and avis seem to be playing ok now.....hope it stays that way.

3. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

ok i really need help, my avis are still skipping like crazy, why is this??? is it mplayer or something?? can i changed the default player to the dvdplayer??

4. varnull

varnull Guest

There is an xbmc codec pack about somewhere.

Strangely it goes in the xbmp codecs folder where xbmc seems to find it.

5. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

man why aint my avis working nemore, everytime i try play em plays like 2mins and then skips continusly....it never used to do this.

its starting to piss me off

can someone please help me out????

6. varnull

varnull Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  7. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

yes i have the latest build, ive even rolld back to the stable version and still no luck.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Hmmm.. interesting.

Do you have the old XBMP installed?, and if so does that have the same problems?

9. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

well i had smaller HD and there was never a problem wit that, i recently got a new HD, installed it with the slayers, was working ok then u updated to the latest build of xbmc was working ok for few weeks then bam avis starting *bleeping* up on me, ive got back to previous builds of xbmc and still having same problem, so what im gona do is reformatt the HD and then install the xbmc from there site the stable build not the updated builds, se what happens....cuz its got me *bleeped*!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  10. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

Are you playing these AVIs froma disc or from the hdd? I play AVIs on mine all the time and don't have that problem. I typically ftp all mine from the computer to the xbox and then play them from the xbmc dashboard. If they are on a disc, try playing them on your computer and see if they are doing the same thing. If it is, then the files are either corrupt, or you have scratches on the disc.

11. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

no not from disc im playing them str8 from teh HDD, ive reformatted my HDD and done a fresh install of everything, removed the slayers xbmc and installed the Stable XBMC version from 2006. they seem to be working ok now but time will tell if it does the same thing again....fingers crossed.

12. varnull

varnull Guest

Fingers crossed.. There are a lot of buggy versions of xbmc about.
    One of mine went beserk last week and trashed all the media on one partition.. renamed the partition /?2?/F/.. your guess is as good as mine.

If you have an older slayers try also installing xbmp.. I know it's old and discontinued, it seems it has some stabilising effect, and it's another way to check your avi's.. one feature it seems to have which I can't find in later builds of xbmc is the capability to switch/select audio streams.

13. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

I've been running the xbmc from the one that came with the slayer 2.7 version. I haven't had any problems with it. I've also got a copy of the gas giver xbmc version as well, and that is a stable version as well that I've used. I have been lucky not to have these problems, but who know what can happen. The only thing I know that has changed is that a lot of the scripts are no longer functional do to a huge shift of focus to the 360.

14. JabJab42

JabJab42 Regular member

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I was just wondering what file do you have to put your videos in for XBMC to be able to play them and what format do they have to be in. I put my vids which are MPEG-4 in the F>Videos. Folder but when I go to the MC and go to videos it just plays the audio. What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you
    Max Kreeger

15. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

I think that would be a codec problem. Either you have the codecs that play the audio but not the ones needed to play that format video. I know with my computer some of the avi's I play on it won't play audio but it will play video and when i play them on my xbox media center, it works just fine. Try updating your xbmc or find a way to install the codecs it needs.

16. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

this sounds right, it could also be a heat issue with the xbox. If i were you i'd clean it out, then monitor the gpu and cpu temps on xbmc.

17. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

yeh u could be right.....i will try that.

18. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

ok this is really pissin me off now, i cant even watch a music video or a movie without it pausin and then replaying, im startin to think that maybe my xbox has had it?

ive tried reformatted HD and start a fresh install, reinstalled XBMC and still to no success every video file i play freezes then plays again freezes again and plays, its irrating when your trying to watch a movie and cant even watch it.

theres gotta be a answer to all this please please im beggin yall!!

19. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

Man that really sucks. I feel your pain dude. I recently downloaded the most up to date version of gas giver xbmc the other day, and it wasn't bad. The only few things I didn't like about it was the fact you have to route all of your directories for every category of files, such as videos, music and etc. But it played the avi's and other things nicely. It could be a script error or a file corruption, but that wouldn't be the case if all of your movies and such are doing the same. PM me and maybe I can help ya with a solution. how old is the hdd drive and what manufacturer brand is it? Also how big is the hdd drive? The bigger ones above a certain amount causes data corruption.

20. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

i just got the HD its maybe 3 months old its a 250GB Western Digital IDE 7200RPM Hard Drive

i couldnt priv msg you.