1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VLC player pwned by large MKV files?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by thor999, Feb 13, 2008.

1. thor999

thor999 Regular member

I have a great system, AMD 4800+, 2 Gigs Corsair XMS 2, 8800 GTS 640 MB video card (BFG), WD 500G HD (7800 RPM - is that my problem?) so when I play a large (I.E. in excess of 10 gigs) MKV file, I get SERIOUS stutter, freeze-ups of video (never audio, though, and when the video picks back up, it is always in sync with the audio) What gives? FYI playback is to a Panny 42' plasma via DVI, standard cable) It seems to be playing back in 2 windows, one always blank, the other like Y-sub hardware or something?

2. brokendan

brokendan Member

ive got a conroe e6550 clocked at 2x2.66 with 2 gigs of gskill and a 8800gt 512mb. i use vlc most of the time, but i suggest you try a player called AVS Media. works well and plays dvd files and mkv and pretty much every other file.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  3. nhar068

nhar068 Member

I have the same issue with my VLC Player but it only happens with 1080 .mkv files 720 files play fine my system is a lot slower than both of your systems though mine is: Athlon XP 3200; 40gb@5400rpm and 200gb@7200rpm; 1gb ram; nVidia 7600GS Graphics; Output to 32 inch Tevion LCD@720p maximum resolution. Any tips?

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

nhar068, a dual core CPU is recommended for 1080p media, like the one thor999 mentioned. Think of it this way... You are asking your computer to display an image with exactly the same resolution as a 2 megapixel still image, 24 times every second! Add the new audio formats into the equation and it's easy to see why you need a beast of a PC to play these media files smoothly.

thor999 have you tried Media Player Classic? I have found it to be one of the most versatile media players available. It plays almost anything I throw at it. It is also very efficient with system resources.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. thor999

thor999 Regular member

Thx Ryu yep media player classic is the trick. Plays all files, no matter how large, perfectly fine, but I am having trouble getting subtitles and other audio tracks to work properly; i.e. I have a 32g .mkv file that is in english for sure, yet it plays only the Spanish track and other tracks and subtitles are nowhere to be found...

6. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Media Player Classic uses direct show, so you will need VobSub installed to display subtitles from the Matroska file you have.

I personally would recommend the K-lite mega codec pack. It's an excellent all in one codec pack that covers almost every media format imaginable. It has also been tested and configured in a way that no conflicts will occur. Each release also includes the latest version of Media Player Classic. In regards to selecting audio and subtitle tracks, right click the mouse button whilst inside the Media Player Classic display area, then move your cursor over navigate, you will then be given another menu to change audio & subtitles etc. (you may need the Haali media splitter to enable this to work. This is also included in K-lite). I hope this helps. :-D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  7. whiscombe

whiscombe Member

"Thx Ryu yep media player classic is the trick. Plays all files, no matter how large, perfectly fine, but I am having trouble getting subtitles and other audio tracks to work properly; i.e. I have a 32g .mkv file that is in english for sure, yet it plays only the Spanish track and other tracks and subtitles are nowhere to be found.."

I don't know why but you will find the subtitle option greyed out in MPC sometimes. If you go to Navigate at the top and then choose Subtitle Language this seems to be the way around it.