1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Updated Master List Of Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by eatsushi, Feb 21, 2008.

1. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Way to go sushi, you're the man!

[​IMG]

USB sushi flash drives anyone?

2. error5

error5 Regular member

Some interesting information regarding the PS3's ability to handle advanced audio codecs:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=51694&page=15
    Post #220

3. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Excellent find error5! That is a very informative and also very accurate portrayal of how the HD audio codecs function.

I just need a HDMI v1.3 receiver now! I've noticed that they are starting to come down in price quite a lot. It shouldn't be too long before I can look at purchasing one.

I wonder if there is any similar article pertaining to the difference of decoding on board and using HDMI v1.3 vs. multi-channel analog connectors?

My logic tells me that HDMI v1.3 will preserve a more accurate signal as it is still digital (PCM) all the way to the receiver. If using analog connectors, the decoded analog signal will have further to travel and will also travel over a connection, this could degrade the sound slightly. I still believe that Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD connected this way will be superior to regular Dolby Digital or DTS, but I think the best way would be to use HDMI v1.3.

Can anyone add some insight to this?

4. error5

error5 Regular member

Ryu77: Actually, you don't need HDMI 1.3 if you're letting the player decode the soundtrack. Any flavor of HDMI can transmit the decoded LPCM to the receiver. You only need HDMI 1.3 when you're transmitting the undecoded soundtrack bitstream and letting the receiver do the decoding.

I've tried bitstream, LPCM, and 5.1 analogs from my Toshiba HD-XA2 and both bitstream and LPCM from my PS3 and frankly can't tell the difference. I'm using pretty short cable runs - 6 feet or less - and cables with pretty good shielding (bettercables.com, bluejeanscable.com, Acoustic Research etc. - see my equipment in my sig.) You may have to do some adjustments to the LFE levels depending on your equipment and connection type but the end result in my setup results in no audible differences.

There was a post that I read some time ago from Roger Dressler - an engineer at Dolby Labs - where he argued that letting the player do the decoding was much better. I'll look for that link.

There's also a problem reported with bitstreaming DTS-HD MA to Yamaha, Onkyo or Integra receivers that resulted in damage to speakers:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008620

5. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Oh yes, I should have realised that. It was just set in my mind that I need HDMI v1.3 for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, I forgot to consider that this is only the case for bitstream. Thank you for reminding me. :)

I will still need a receiver capable of HDMI decoding. My receiver only has HDMI pass through. Since my Blu-ray player is my PS3, analog 5.1 is not an option. :-( At this point in time I am using optical for my audio connection. Even that delivers mind blowing audio. I can only imagine how awesome Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD would be!

In regards to your equipment... I already pointed that out on the "Sony wants 50 percent market share for Blu-ray products this year" thread. Where as you know, there was quite a lot of anti Blu-ray nonsense happening.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/648686/3946893 (towards the end of that post)

I have a decent set-up also. There are 2 pics on my profile. :)

Pic 1: http://i.my.afterdawn.com/original/16117.JPG
    Pic 2: http://i.my.afterdawn.com/original/17445.JPG

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  6. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Update to the list: I added the Philips BD-P7200 Profile 1.1 player that's supposed to come out this month. It features 1080p/24fps, bitstreaming of both True HD and DTS-HD MA, and 5.1 analog out. MSRP is $349 so street prices should be sround $299.

error5: Good catch on that summary from HDD.

I myself can't hear any difference b/w analog, bitstream or LPCM on my Onkyo/B&W 700 series setup. A friend of mine says: Lossless is still lossless no matter how it gets to your speakers. I tend to agree with him.

7. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Yes, but an important consideration is you would need six high quality cables instead of one.

I personally feel it's a little more complicated than "lossless is still lossless". I am not meaning to disagree with you eatsushi as I have much respect for your input here at AfterDawn. I am simply looking to explore ideas. :)

Here is an informative article that explains the HD audio formats and the various connection options very well: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...FAQ:_Blu-ray_and_HD_DVD_Audio_Explained/1064.

Here is one instance extracted from the above link that I found interesting...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  8. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I understand your point of view Ryu77. But there's the gap between what's on paper and what you can actually hear. I feel the quality of the DAC's in the players I've owned (Panny DMP-BD30 and Tosh HD-XA2) are equal to that of most receivers, so in real life there's really no audible difference that I can hear. BTW I do use HDMI bitstream right now. I plan to try the decoding on the PS3 later after I update.

Here's an article that puts up an interesting notion. He claims that analog signals are less prone to degradation because of lower quality cables and it's more important to have good cables for digital signals:

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/the_truth_about_high_end_cables/C29

Maybe dblbogey7 can share his experiences. I know he has an older Rotel preamp/power amp pairing with B&W Nautilus speakers and he uses 5.1 analogs.

Here's our discussion on analog vs HDMI in the HD DVD forum:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/494479

I guess the bottom line depends on what your receiver can support. Those with older equipment may have to settle for analog 5.1 but those with HDMI should definitely use these connections.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  9. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

10. seensters

seensters Guest

ya i know also ur game system will work best with a hd tv

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I have been away for a while and I just want to say thanks for the great info and attention to detail eatsushi. I learned something new, Excellent Work!

Ced

12. Giand

Giand Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  13. tvs4U

tvs4U Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
  14. critenlee

critenlee Guest

Thanks for your sharing. Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

In return i'm going to SPAM you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009