1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy DVD to Divx?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by shalegac, Feb 23, 2008.

1. shalegac

shalegac Member

Hi guys,

I’m new to all of this converting files process. I’m wondering if there is a quick program out there that will allow me to convert a DVD I own to a DivX file that I can play on my PS3? I have tried looking before I posted anything but I am having a little trouble figuring out the quickest and easiest method. I am looking to scale down to about 700mb per movie so I can transfer my video directly onto the PS3’s had drive. I have quite a few programs but they all take around 5 hours which seems a little much considering I can shrink and reburn DVD’s in about an hour. Also some of the rips are limited to what I want such as resizing.

Any help would be awesome.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

1. rip your movie with dvdfadhddecryter (free)
    2. shrink the rip files with dvdshrink 3.2 (free) and backup to ISO
    3. convert the ISO to divx with fairuse 2.6 (free), that will automatically give you a nice 700mb file.

That's how I always do it. With fairuse you can crop out the black bars of the video, so that it will fill the entire screen. Also the program is very accurate in keeping your video in perfect audio sync.

Getting a quality divx, requires using different programs. As far as a all in one program, I haven't found one that can replace the method I use above.

http://www.fairusewizard.com/lang_en/fairuse_wizard_dvd_divx_xvid_backup_tool_light_edition.html

3. shalegac

shalegac Member

Thank you for your quick reply.

Could I just rip the DVD with DVDshrink or should I use DVDfab first? I have all the programs listed here, I just want to be sure I'm doing it right. Thanx again!

4. jimbozo

jimbozo Member

Shrink can not handle all the new copy protection, That will be why dvdfab was probably suggested as part of the process.

If shrink does the job, then just use shrink.

Make sure not to shrink the movie ( Set output size big enough not to shrink )

5. jony218

jony218 Guest

Dvdfabhddecryter handles all the latest dvd's and is updated regularly. I use dvdshrink mainly to shrink those files into an ISO. Fairuse is a program that requires the source DVD files to be in an ISO format only.

If dvdshrink cannot shrink or read those files that you ripped, they will be no good for conversion to divx. If you run into a problem that dvdshrink cannot open the files you ripped, run those questionable files through the program FixVTS (free) that can usually fix navigation errors.

6. chrisj26

chrisj26 Member

i currently rip using dvd shrink and nero digital and that gives me quite good quality.however even though it is an mp4 file it does not play back on my dvd player which is one of those chinese makes which plays anything you chuck at it.how long did ripping to avi take with this process?is it better than purchasing xlisoft.that would take me abt 2.5 hours.which is the most effective way to rip?

7. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

chrisj26,

I'm unsure on what exactly you're trying to do. If your goal is to encode a certain video file to DVD, then follow the pointers outlined by jony218. Fairuse Wizard is a freeware. Here's a guide on how to use it.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/34/59/

8. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Can I ask what is the purpose of ripping the DVD, then shrinking it, then encoding it to DivX? Why would you want to re-encode twice? mpeg2 (original DVD)-->mpeg2 (DVD Shrink re-encode)-->DivX (fairuse).

Unless you mean to use DVD Shrink to extract the main movie? Although, DVD Decrypter can do this too. So either way it looks like one step too many to me on the ripping side of things.

I have never used fairuse but whenever I have done DivX encodes in the past I always work with the main movie ripped in it's original form (no re-compression done). Sometimes this will be bigger than a DVD5, other times it wont be. It really doesn't matter as I am simply ripping the DVD files onto my Hard Drive. I also rip the DVD in folder format as opposed to iso (image file) format.

Isn't it well known that the more times you encode media with a lossy codec like mpeg2, that you are losing information which results in quality loss?

This is the method I use...

1) Rip the DVD onto your HDD in DVD folder format (with no re-compression) using any of the well known rippers... Eg: DVD Decrypter, CloneDVD, DVDFab, DVD Shrink. At this point the DVD is still in it's 100% original quality.

2) Frame serve with dgmpgdec (this application will also demux your Dolby/DTS audio).

3) Filter (crop, resize etc.) with AVIsynth (AVSEdit is a great front end for AVIsynth).

4) *Optional Step* Depending if you want to re-encode the audio or not. If you want to re-encode the Dolby or DTS to a different format like mp3. I usually use BeSweetGUI for that.

5) Encode to DivX with your choice of application (VirtualDub, MeGUI etc.). Load the AVIsynth file, choose your desired codec settings and encode away (don't forget to load your audio to be muxed with the video in your final pass).

This method will produce optimum quality DivX files as everything is handled by an individual program and the DivX video is being compressed from the DVD (mpeg2) in it's original form.

Note: If you don't like using an application to handle each step of the process, there's a few all in one applications that could handle steps 2,3,4 & 5 in one step. TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress is one that I use sometimes. :-D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008