1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

play mkv on LCD TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by s988, Feb 25, 2008.

1. s988

s988 Guest

Here's my situation .. I hava hd movie rip in a mkv file , and it is 720P resolution >>>

the question is .. how to play the movie on my 32 inches LCD TV with sound system 5.1 .. and having full quality??????

2. s988

s988 Guest

any one please!!!

3. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

We will need more information on the AV equipment you have before we give a detailed answer.

The most obvious answer I can give for now is to connect your PC to your LCD TV.

4. s988

s988 Guest

you mean to connect my PC to my LCD TV thru VGA or DVI to HDMI???

my sound card does not have optical port .. do you recommend me to buy new one or just to hook it up with the one I have???

==============================
    About my Video card I am about to buy new one.. I heard that ATI has one with HDMI port and it does transfer picture + sound .. is that true??

and do you recommended????

thanks for answering my questions.

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Anytime you can use an HDMI connection, use it. ;)

6. s988

s988 Guest

and if you can explain to me in little detail how to connect my PC with my LCD and how to connect the sound to the home theater.

thanks again.

7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Well, if you have a VGA or HDMI port on your tv, you can go that route. If you don't have the adapter for the DVI to HDMI, just go VGA.

Now for sound, what kind of audio ports do you have on your sound card? If it's just your standard stereo jack, I believe they make cables that have the 3.5 stereo jack on one side and two channel stereo (RCA) on the other end. Plug up your sound that way.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2008
  8. s988

s988 Guest

I have both .. Is there difference if I hook my computer with VGA or DVI to HDMI???

for right now my Video card does not have a DVI port .. But I am about to buy a new card any way because the one I have is very old.

thanks in advance...

9. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

DVI is digital. It is exactly the same as HDMI minus the digital audio. VGA is the equivalent to a component connection (analog), while being at the top of the analog league it is still not a pure digital connection.

10. s988

s988 Guest

So what you trying to tell me is that DVI much better than VGA because it digital,is that correct??

One more thing .. Is there big difference between DVI and VGA or it is barely notable??

11. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Correct!

One thing I forgot to ask, what resolution is your LCD TV? I overlooked the fact that it's a 32". I hope it supports 720p. It should be 1366 x 768... But I just want to make sure.

12. s988

s988 Guest

Yes it does supports 720p.
    =============================================================
    You didn't answer my question ...

13. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Now now, no need to get snappy with Ryu.

It all comes down to what you think looks better. We can't tell you what your eyes are going to think looks better. Test them both out! ;)

VGA is an analog connection, DVI is digital. I say if you can go digital, do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi

Read up and decide...

14. s988

s988 Guest

15. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Ahhh, I was just messing with ya! ;)

Err, I thought you had said you had a DVI port on your video card, I must have confused you with someone else in another thread. :)

Well then just use the VGA port. When you get a new video card, get one with HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008
  16. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

lol@goodswipe...

To be honest s988 the difference between VGA and DVI on a 32" panel isn't as great as it would be on a larger panel. There is a difference but it isn't huge. The main difference is increased sharpness around edges, more detail/texture and a brighter, more vivid colour spectrum.

I have a 46" 1080p LCD and I can see the difference but I have had friends that aren't as technically minded say they can't see a difference... I think they're blind! lol! The truth is that they don't know how to look for the difference as AV enthusiasts do.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  17. mardon

mardon Member

If your 5.1 system accepts a optical in (SPDIF) i'd recommend getting a soundcard that’s supports optical out. Make sure its turned on in your setting and that its also turned on in which ever codec pack you use to play .mkv

Personally I use a combination of the Combined Community Codec Pack for DTS sound and AC3 filter for Dolby Digital. It took me a while to figure out how to get it all running smoothly but once done it sounded great.

Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a DVI port so I have to make do with 720p through VGA. HD movies still look great though and do play at full 720p.

On the Digital Vs Non digital argument I did a comparison with two XBOX 360's. Both playing Froza 2 and both with the correct Colour and Contrast Settings for each connection. I played my Elite Via HDMI (Digital) and my old 360 via Component (non digital). I couldn't believe the difference when flicking between the two. HDMI looked sharper with a higher colour range. The picture was overall more vibrant

Hope this is of some help.

18. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Maybe they just want to enjoy the movie. :)

19. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

What did you mean?

Is it true that an AV enthusiast that can easily tell the difference between HD and SD can't enjoy a movie? I would have thought the opposite.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but I would think that even somebody that doesn't know what they're looking at or listening to would enjoy a HD movie more than SD (without knowing what actually made it better). Put simply, it's one step closer to bringing a true Cinema experience into the home.

20. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That's not what you were talking about:
    I've been going to movies longer than you've been alive. The cinema experience never had anything thing to do with all this 'increased sharpness', actually it was far from it. Some of the finest films ever shot, by Vilmos Zigmond, were far from sharp. It's this new dawn of video shot movies (George Lucas crap) which has ruined the movie/film experience. Some folks enjoy the movie, others sit around and analyze the picture. And the best way to simply enjoy the movie is to watch it on a Panasonic/Pioneer plasma, that way there's no technical details to analyze anyway. It's as good as it gets.