1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie Rip Size?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by VDUBZ, Mar 6, 2008.

1. VDUBZ

VDUBZ Member

I am considering making a Blu-Ray Media Center PC w/ HDMI, But how big is a ripped Blu-Ray Movie? How much hard drive space would I need? Also what would I use to play it once I ripped it w/ AnyDVD?

2. Datman

Datman Member

as much as you can afford. When you are done you will need more

3. Datman

Datman Member

sorry I posted to quick. I am playing my rips with PDVD version 733319a you will find you have to get that version to play rips.

good luck I did what you are planning. It worked out but not without some painful moments

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Main movie only rips vary from about 15gb right up to 40gb. So you would need at least a 500GB or even 1TB or more HDD to offer a sufficient amount of space for future enjoyment.

See here for Blu-ray bitrates and file sizes... http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=3338

You do know that you will need at least a Blu-ray ROM drive too, don't you? Unless you plan to download the content.

Also, I don't know if you're familiar with the procedure but it is possible to do a main movie only Blu-ray rip with standard Dolby Digital 5.1@640kbps and re-compress the video enough to fit on a regular dual layer DVD disc. This will still be in full 1080p HD. The quality wont be as good as the Blu-ray source but it will smash SD DVD any day. I have quite a few videos done this way and they look and sound amazing! :-D

For me that would be the most practical and cost effective method. In Australia I can pick up DVD+/- DL discs for as little as $1 each.

5. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Anychance on explaining your way of recompressing to fit on a DVD+/- DL, or a link to a tutorial. Sounds pretty great. Thanks

6. VDUBZ

VDUBZ Member

yeah can you tell us how you compress your blu-ray rips to fit on a DL DVD-R?

7. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

This is assuming you have a decrypted Blu-ray folder on your HDD. You will need to locate the movie file in the HDD (BMDV\STREAMS\00001.m2ts).

I would recommend using a tool called tsMuxeR for a few of the proceeding steps. It is a fantastic tool and is still under deveopment for improved greatness in the future :-D... http://www.smlabs.net/tsMuxer/tsMuxeR_1.4.6(b).zip

1) Demux the elementary streams (you need to keep the main movie and regular Dolby Digital 640kbps track) using tsMuxeR.
    2) Repack the video into a stream into a container that is easiest for your encoding application preferences (I usually use Matroska).
    3) Re-encode the video to desired final fize. This should be a DVD-9 (8000mb) for 1080p content. Remember to allow for audio file size and allow about 500mb spare for repacking into m2ts/creating AVCHD disc later. My preference is to use Nero Recode or MeGUI (x264) for encoding h264 video.
    4) Remux new video file with Dolby Digital track using tsMuxeR and output m2ts (for PS3) or Blu-ray folder structure.
    5) Burn as UDF 2.5 data disc with Nero.

This is a very basic description of the procedure used. For more detail please ask specific questions about which step or where exactly you need help. :-D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  8. Datman

Datman Member

thanks for the info I;m most interwsted in tring this method. I tried tsmuxer last night. It looks like a nice tool. The only other tool I have used is tsremux. What I found odd is after doing the same film with each tool the finished file for tsremux was 16.7g and 23.1 for tsmuxer. Both played and looked the same and perhaps on tsremux the audio was converted down from DTS-HD to DTS.

It's going to take me a while to figure out your guide. Most days I feel like a moron