1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Desktops (linux/unix only please) with system specs.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by varnull, Mar 9, 2008.

1. varnull

varnull Guest

proof that linux will run on whatever hardware. Please include some system stats.. cpu/ram/graphics etc if you want, and the original screen resolution, as it's polite to crop to 800x600 max for hotlinking.

[​IMG]

^^ AMD 1900+ twin cpu ex server (32 bit) 512MB ram, with nvidia 32mb graphics.. running @ 1280x1024 60hz
    OS - Debian (etch) Gnome with clearlooks crux theme. (machine name - Meiko)

[​IMG]

^^ Pentium 3-400 with 512Mb ram, 12Mb Matrox graphics 1024x768 @ 80Hz
    OS - ubuntu 7.04 (feisty) Gnome with custom theme from the Gnome-art site, and crystal-rox widgets. (machine name - Grace)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2008
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

This is now my slowest machine since i only just cleared out 4 old P3 machines (plus an ancient 486 or something pc which used to run DSL ok); pic is from my beloved Dell GX150 tower - P3 1GHz with 384MB RAM running TinyMe test release 7. Picked a neutral background for now as it doesn't clash with the conky monitor. It has Nvidia PCI graphics as it used to be on one of my 1440x900 monitors but now just uses my oldest TFT, a 15" Syncmaster at 1024x768. Only really use this machine for occasional monitoring of my wireless routers and watching eBay auctions, now i have a Quad Core (being the XP heretic that i am, the Quad isn't for linux, it's purely for movie encoding) and a Dual Core 'fraid i don't have much patience for using old kit anymore.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  3. varnull

varnull Guest

[​IMG]

^^ alpha600 twin 512ram and 4mb i810 graphics 1024x768 @60Hz
    OS - Debian (sarge) gnome. (machine name - Alysanne {retired.. scsi controller died}) Now doing service as a cluster load splitter.
    Too loved to throw out. Did 5 years as a desktop though never designed for it.

[​IMG]

^^ Pentium 133MHz 64Mb ram and some old 1Mb graphics card (c3?)
    450Mb hdd and no sound hardware (though an Aztech card was fitted and run) 1024x768 @ 60Hz (unbelievable, and possibly responsible for a lot of the laggy performance)
    OS - debian (etch while it was rc1) straight out of the box.. ran too slow to be much use for anything. Screenshot posted on photobucket from the machine, but was just not up to running etch. (machine name - Tabitha)
    Currently sitting upstairs holding up an ashtray and some mouldy coffee cups in the cluster room. Waiting for me to get the minimal system bug again ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008
  4. OzMick

OzMick Guest

[​IMG]

"Trogdor": Core 2 Duo 4400 (2x2GHz), 2GB ram, GeForce 8600GT 512MB graphics @ 1024x768 (max monitor resolution), 320GB + 200GB HDD

Was originally going to be a Windows rig (thus absolute overkill on the specs for Linux...), but still gets the occasional workout doing video editing etc. Mostly used as a DVR and fileserver system, have a digital TV tuner attached, and use an xbox to watch recordings etc from network shares. Should actually be named "Trogdor II", was bought to pretty much match specs of a 3 year old box that died, did quite a bit of DVD burnination on that thing, thus the name.

I might post "Lappy" later (had to keep with the Homestar Runner theme, was only fitting).

5. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

my current desktop from running xfce on top of Debian "Lenny". Picture is of the Zombie Supper (i think that is what it was called).Panel items kept to a minimum, they annoy me.
    PC Spec -- AMD64 2400 CPU, 1 gig DDR2 Ram, onboard graphics (too tight to get a graphics card but still don't see the need).

[​IMG]

6. creaky

This is a stock desktop pic from my new Dell quad-boot Linux machine (XP with 3 similar linuxes ie TinyMe test release 7, Mandriva 2008.0 and MiniMe); pic is from the 'TinyMe' boot-up. Note the conky system monitor, i've tweaked it to correctly show both cores.

Core 2 Duo 2.13 with 4GB RAM, 160GB SATA-II drive, internal DVD-Rom and 2 USB2.0 attached opticals - my trusty 5yr old LG 4480B and a Benq DW1650. No need for graphics card as the onboard graphcs can easily manage my preferred resolution of 1440x900. Still using the onboard sound with Logitech X-230's but i might try adding a spare Creative USB Live External, as had previously got that working in Mandriva 64-bit a treat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  7. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

went back into gnome for while, so here is the current view i have

[​IMG]

8. chain87

chain87 Member

This is my Pentium II 450Mhz 256MB RAM PC which is the only computer I have because I am poor. I turned Kubuntu into Xubuntu and it runs pretty well.

[​IMG]

I have a ATI Radeon 9250 which I have had for a couple of years now and I put in so it would be in use.

9. chain87

chain87 Member

sorry about that I meant to crop it down a little.

10. varnull

varnull Guest

That's looking good there.. and it works too.. bonus.

Here is Grace.. running happy on the floor. (just in case anybody thought a machine with a name like that would be little and cute.. :lol:)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  11. loood

loood Regular member

damn. made a few mistakes. big ones :S

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  12. chain87

chain87 Member

wow Grace is a beaut! lol

13. loood

loood Regular member

at last heres my CentOS with KDE on it. had gnome then i wanted to try something new. always free to experiment. runs on my HP Copmpaq 6715s with 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI radeon Xpress 1024x768, AMD sempron 2.0GHz. Better than plane :D

[​IMG]
    croped it to 800x600 but when uploaded it ends up like this :S.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  14. varnull

varnull Guest

New addition to the fold.. Mitsuko. Arrived yesterday and been waiting patiently in the kitchen until tonight..

AMD Duron 800 .. 512 ram, unknown graphics, running ubuntu7.10(gutsy)

[​IMG]

In case people are trying to second guess.. The Dell in the background in both these shots is Chihomi, (celeron 560 with 128ram) my debian sarge torrents/p2p machine.. No GUI on her as such so no screnshots ever.
    She masquerades her mac and IP, and has access to 1TB of the raid server.. as a machine in her own right she doesn't exist, not even a keyboard, mouse or monitor.. with only a 1GB hdd purely for local boot files, a couple of applications and swap/temp space.. she uses the NFS for all storage apart from immediate cached data.. hence the name of Chihomi, which could be read as "a thousand + protect + beauty"

You wonder why I name them all?? There is a good reason....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  15. creaky

"The Hungarian PCLinuxOS developer community has released an interesting variant of this popular desktop distribution. Called PCe17OS, this is a remastered edition of PCLinuxOS with Enlightenment 17 as the default desktop. (1.1 GB live DVD). The live DVD is set up to boot into Hungarian by default, but one can change the language to English via Enlightenment's configuration panel."

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080317#news

It's very nice indeed, booted it up on my Dell C2D, though my Hungarian's not too hot so i didn't get too far but nice to see Enlightenment (one of my favourite window managers) in action on a live DVD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  16. varnull

varnull Guest

ooooo.. that looks nice, and my Hungarian like my Russian is passable.

17. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

OK, here is the desktop from the laptop running PClinuxOS (runs wireless brilliantly, easiest setup you could imagine). Specs for the lappy are AMD64X2 pCPU, 1 gig ram and dual booted with XP (/me runs to wash mouth out). Dual boot cos lappy isnt really mine, i only paid fer it. LMAO

Still testing the Distro out so it is a stock KDE picture and not much else.

[​IMG]

18. creaky

Nice ktulu14, though you wouldn't like PCLinuxOS much, as there's not much to faff with, plus you even sorted the wireless so methinks it's not for some of you guys/gals, it's too easy for you all :)

19. varnull

varnull Guest

You will be very pleased to know that NONE of my machines will boot pclinux :lol:

This was pclinux a while ago.. on a p3-450

[​IMG]

thinking about it... I have a sneaky suspicion that is actually videolinux installed (where it changed to pclinux.. sort of)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  20. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

Creaky -- i was just happy to get teh lappy running lol. i won't be on it much, maybe late at night when i am watching the telly or something. as long as it owrks i will be happy. my main box is the one which gets played around with a lot (must be near time to do another install just for the sheer hell of it)