1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Desktops (linux/unix only please) with system specs.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by varnull, Mar 9, 2008.

1. varnull

varnull Guest

Woot.. my p3-450 (Etsuko) has returned from being on loan.. Now I can start experimenting properly again.

Last time she was here she looked like

[​IMG]

But (sacrilege) has been running xp pro while on loan.. and running it quite well I might add. 16 months without a splutter.. you can't get much better than a Dell optiplex clamshell GX1
    Anybody name that OS?

This one 'ere be my webserver.. Hikaru. An antique P2(cyrix)266, 256 ram running a remote desktop XFCE. Currently being looked at as I have 2 identical machines now and they would parallel up beautifully if only I could find the time to play with them.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2008
  2. blu3man

blu3man Member

Where did you get this most lovely of wallpapers?

3. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

Can't really remember, think i stumbled on it and thot "that'll do me"

4. blu3man

blu3man Member

http://ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54

"ya got to config it
    write some cell scripts
    update your rpms
    partition your drives
    patch your kernel
    check your version dependencies
    you might want to do that once or twice"

This is one reason i like debian.
    aptitude-get update
    (updates your kernel, patches your dependencies, updates your rpms (well tar files in debian) and does this all for you with a prompt of yes or no)

5. varnull

varnull Guest

Don't you mean .deb's?

Try apt-get clean if you are getting low on space.

Now then.. here is an antique.

[​IMG]

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

a pic of my TinyMe from as i've been messing with this Quad boot machine over the weekend.
    http://i.my.afterdawn.com/original/18191.jpg

I tried upgrading TinyMe to the recently released 2008.0 version and also Mandriva to the new 2008.1 but my linux skills are a tad rusty and haven't got much spare time lately so for now i've put TinyMe test release 7 back on and Mandriva can keep. There's problems with the TinyMe ISO's out there from what i've been reading (i burnt 4 cd's, 2 ISO's from different places, couldn't be bothered with checksumming or looking into the actual ISO's) so i'll wait 'til they've ironed out all the problems (or just stick with Test release 7 as it's stable enough).

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  7. creaky

I decided to turn to the dark side and try out Ubuntu as never had before. Desktop linuxes are all the same difference to me so for a bit of variety i tried out Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 on my Acer Aspire One. The Aspire is my torrent machine under XP but i had installed MiniMe 2008 on there ages ago but hardly used it. So i just popped a 2GB SD card into my poundshop SD card reader, used a boot utility ~ FromImgFiles to make the card bootable and was able to install UNR in no time at all (i just removed MiniMe and replaced with UNR). Works fairly well, a bit laggy but it'll only get used once in a blue moon as it's always used in XP mode. I'm impressed as to how easy the install went. Manually ]installed Adobe Flash and that's about it for now.

Acer Aspire One, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, dual-booted with XP Pro.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  8. varnull

varnull Guest

Meiko over 12 months later.. still the same etch install though she has gained a scrap ati radion 9800gt graphics card from the junk pile... oh.. and I wore the mouse out and had to reletter the keyboard... that IRC doesn't half wear out the lettering on keyboards. XD

[​IMG]

It's interesting to see how little has really changed since March last year when etch was installed.. She is my main desktop.. probably only has about 3 days downtime total in all that time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

I've d/l Ubuntu, Debian, and Suse but haven't installed yet. LOL. I have a little AMD rig that I'm considering throwing one of these 3 on. 2 GB RAM, AMD X2 3800, and OBG. I'm sure there would be NO issues running one of those with that rig. I also have some more LITTLE computers but haven't messed with them at all; maybe I need to have a garage sale. lol.

10. varnull

varnull Guest

Noticed a serious lack of true 64-bit systems here...

[​IMG]

debian x64 lenny on an amd 3400+ with a whole gig of ram.. no 32 bit apps at all on this one.

11. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Never particularly liked the UNR interface... Kind of makes the netbook look and feel like a toy, when it is by all rights a fully functional computer, less an optical drive. Your lagginess could be because of the Intel video driver regressions, they're a known bug in 9.04, and of course it comes with Compiz enabled by default just to really slip the boot in.

12. creaky

No idea, it's only on there for the kids to (maybe) use once in a blue moon, just wanted to try it as it was targeted specifically at netbooks.

13. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

I make no apologies for the background hehehehe YNWA.

Lenny64 fresh install quite recently (i was running Sid but it was starting to get messy). Lenny running like a dream

[​IMG]

14. creaky

Stock desktop on an old P3 450MHz with 288MB Ram. And no i cannot for the life of me figure out how in hell it says 288MB, there's 3 sticks of what i thought were 128MB sticks. Ah well, it works.

[​IMG]

15. varnull

varnull Guest

That's the new puppy actually installed?

I haven't downloaded one since 4 came out.. it's usually 2.14 for me run live because lspci still works on that, and I only use it to find out what hardware is in hopeless fista and xp broken lappys XD

ram fun.. how about 2x128 and a faulty stick which is actually only working as 32 .. I have a stick like that.. 256 most of the time.. then 32 when it wants to be ;)

16. creaky

Yeah installed. Live cd's are great and everything but i can't abide optical drives clanking while they're being accessed by a live cd.
    The sticks are all double sided chips so that's probably what's happened. Good thinking Batman; the BIOS and Windows shows the same amount too. 2 sticks are definitely 128MB, maybe the 3rd is a faulty 64MB.

On this machine i first installed Puppy via a 4.00 cd i had lying around but i prefer 4.20 so i bunged a spare dvd burner in the machine and downloaded 4.20 and put that on. Runs real nice, 4.00 was a little flaky and i didn't want to mess with updates as i just wanted a basic old machine that's simple, stable and dependable for surfing whenever i'm away from my modern machines.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  17. varnull

varnull Guest

Puppy has come so far in the last 4 years it's amazing.. I have a disk of puppy 0.2 here.. no installer.. doesn't run live.. never managed to install it XD

looks like DSL is obsolete now as puppy has run on everything over a 486 I have thrown it at. (warning.. even run live a swap file on is needed if less than 128 ram.. try a 16mb 386.. lol)

18. creaky

More experimenting, more fruitful this time around. The P3 450 (with Puppy 4.20) runs ok but a tad sluggish (and damn noisy, two whining hard drives always offends; the ancient CD-Rom drive isn't too loud though). Will keep this machine 'as is', but switched off as an emergency spare surfing machine.

Had a Compaq SFF machine sitting gathering dust, a P4 2.40 with 512MB memory, faulty onboard NIC so uses a PCI NIC, worst of all it has a dodge IDE controller or two hence why it's just been mothballed. Disconnected the hard drive (all my spare old hard drives whine so won't miss that racket), left a dvd burner connected and have been running Puppy Linux 4.20 from a USB stick and also from the live cd (maybe the IDE controllers are ok after all, don't know). Booting from USB stick is very useful,i like the ability to save your session to the USB stick too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Shame on ye!!! :p You just double posted. ;)

Looks like a neat little OS there Creaks... So do you have about 20 PC's floating around ye little domicile?? :p

Been to busy around the house to even mess with me Win OS's let alone mess with "experimentation" with Linux. ;)

Hope all is going well for you lot. :D

20. varnull

varnull Guest

I stuck this on my profile page.. but I guess it qualifies as unix

[​IMG]

It was a swine to install.. and now after getting the network working netscape has run into problems and I haven't got round to working out how to install firefox.

I'm going to download puppy 4.20 later.. and after testing give the guys on the forums my usual feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009