1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Ryu77, Mar 14, 2008.

1. odin24

odin24 Regular member

TrueHD and tsMuxeR is one step closer to being completely hassle free!

See here for details.

Be sure to thank them.

2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

If you have Java Runtime Environment installed, then you don't really need the GUI. However, it's nice of idbirch2 to make one. :) I've been thinking about writing some applications lately myself. I just need to find the time. I barely had enough time to squeeze to update my MeGUI/x264 BD encoding profiles which I recently did. There are now 4 different quality settings available for each the AVCHD & BD profile (the link is on the first page of this thread)...

I had already tested the Java executable written by dburckh on The Dark Knight but it didn't work. This means nothing though as even Sonic Scenarist rejects the TrueHD track from The Dark Knight. I am yet to test it on other titles.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  3. odin24

odin24 Regular member

idbirch tested Batman (1989) and Batman Begins, both worked. I'm in the process of testing The Matrix (HDDVD remux). I think TDK is the only one that cannot be patched.

Does this executable involve tsremux?

4. lionelb

lionelb Member

Hi again Odin/Ryu

You guys are obviously in the know with all this so I thought I'd ask you opinion on TMPGEnc Express 4.0. I've been using this for a year to re-encode all of my blu-ray/HD-DVD rips into WMV9 for playback on the Xbox 360.

You guys all seem to be using something different though. Can you recommend anything better I should be using instead of TMPGEnc?

Cheers
    Mark

5. typoknig

typoknig Member

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if a Blu-Ray player is using the red laser or the blue laser when reading discs made according to the steps of this guide? I know that Blu-Ray discs are 0.2 mm thinner than DVD discs so I assume that the red laser is being used. This isn't real important, I was just curious.

Thanks!

6. cuttherug

cuttherug Member

Some movies like tommy boy and a few others have too many frames when I try to make my AVI script. Then when I encode, it says the movie length will be 3+ hours. What I usually do in this cause is demux with TSmuxer and I get a .mpv which I then use to make my AVI script and everything turns out fine. But in the case of Tommy Boy I get a .264 file after using TSmuxer and meGUI doesn't accept that format, so what should I do?

I have too many frames as an m2ts file, and i get a .264 file after TSmuxer. I would like my final vid to be 4.4GB 720p. I have encoded many other films and always get this result, but I just can't seem to get it right with Tommy Boy, or The Fly.

oops I also meant to say pretty please, and thanks for any help

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  7. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Looks like tsMuxeR has fixed the TrueHD bug with a new version!!

changelog:
    1.8.15 - fixed bug with TRUE-HD stream
    1.8.16 - fixed bug with long srt subtitles
    1.8.17 - fixed bug with extracting TRUE-HD core (bug appear in mux mode only, demux works fine)
    1.8.18 - fixed bug with "bitstream exeption" occurring in some streams

tsMuxeR v1.8.18(b)

The .exe is only available for download. However, the old GUI still works. I am off to do some testing. :)

Edit: Just tested this on The Dark Knight which no other fix or method worked for and tsMuxeR v1.8.18 did the job! :-D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  8. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Damn you Ryu77, you beat me to the punch :) I was just about to post about the latest tsMuxeR update.

I too have tested on a TrueHD track with success.

9. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Well, it is my thread... So it's kind of my job to try to keep it updated. :p

10. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Yeah, I know... I was just kidding.

11. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

And I was being cheeky... Quote... ":p"

Hehe...

12. gbrbob

gbrbob Member

is there a program that can tell me the size of a blu-ray disk before i rip it to the hd?

13. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

If you have AnyDVD-HD installed, you will also have installed a UDF 2.5 file reader, so that will allow you to view the disc information from Windows natively.

14. ahmadka

ahmadka Regular member

OK I got a problem Ryu and Odin, and its kind of a little urgent :p .. if you could guide me through it, i would be really grateful ..

I have been using Megui for sometime now, and I never have had any serious problems using it for making PS3 compatible AVCHDs ..

Today I tried starting another encode, but I keep getting the following error immediately right when the first pass is about to start:

-[NoImage] Error starting job
    --[NoImage] Exception message: starting encoder failed with error 'The parameter is incorrect'
    --[NoImage] Stacktrace: at MeGUI.core.gui.JobWorker.startEncoding(TaggedJob job)
    --[NoImage] Inner exception: null

I have tried checking the avisynth script, restarting my computer, completely re-installing Megui, and re-installing fresh copies of Ryu's profiles, trying different encodes which have worked before .. but this error just won't go away ...

would could be the problem ?

15. ahmadka

ahmadka Regular member

OK, the above problem I have stated has been resolved .. it just solved itself, I didn't really do anything :p

Anyways, Ryu, could you please tell which of your four Bluray profiles is most recommended ? I mean, which of them offers the most effective combination of quality v.s. speed ... :p

Thanx in advance :)

16. ahmadka

ahmadka Regular member

Can someone please answer the question I have posted right above this post ?

Thanx :)

17. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Sorry, I thought my new profiles were pretty straight forward...

- AVCHD/BD5/BD9 -1- Good Quality = A good compromise between speed and quality, slightly more structured towards a faster encode.

- AVCHD/BD5/BD9 -2- High Quality = This profile I believe hits the sweet spot between quality and speed. I previously used this for all my encodes as the quality gains from further optimizations are quite minimal.

- AVCHD/BD5/BD9 -3- Ultra High Quality = This profile will yield exceptional quality but with the expense of encoding time. The gains made are very minimal compared to the difference in encoding time. I now use this profile quite often.

- AVCHD/BD5/BD9 -4- Insane Quality = As the name suggests, you must be insane to use this! Hehe... This has all optimizations enabled with zero care factor towards encoding time. An encode with this profile could take days even with a quad core CPU.

The only difference with the AVCHD/BD5/BD9 profiles and the Blu-ray set are the buffer and peak bitrate. DVD media and the AVCHD format were not designed to transfer so much data, so some players will freeze if an encode made with the Blu-ray profile is burnt to a regular DVD. However, the PS3 and most newer stand alone players wont have this problem at all.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  18. ahmadka

ahmadka Regular member

Alright thanx for that clarification Ryu :) ..

Right now I am using the High Quality profile, and it normally takes my auxiliary PC between 8-10 hours to re-encode about 4.5 GB worth of MKV video ..

Suppose I choose the Very High Quality profile, how much more time will it take ? (assuming it took 8-10 hours when using High Quality profile) ..

Thanx in advance :)

19. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

About 33% longer, so if it took 8 hours on high quality, it will take about 12 hours on the ultra high quality profile. The insane profile would be at least double that again.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  20. upinit

upinit Member

Hey Ryu, I have a stupid question for you. I have been using TsMuxer and have been using the GUI only. Is the .EXE a seperate entity from it or do they work in conjunction? I would like to try muxing some TrueHD BD's but if they are seperate entities then I'm not sure how to use the standalone .EXE. If I can use the .EXE can you point me to some documentation? Thanks!

P.S. do you think they will be updating the GUI version anytime soon?