1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to: Update Eurovox Max V with Kuro 18.04.08 (R.I.P 28/11/2008)

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by SG8, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG8

SG8 Active member

Updating Eurovox Max V with Kuro 18.04.08 UPDATED (software now works with Chorus as well)

1. Hook up your Eurovox to your PC using a null modem cable. (9 pin female to 9 pin female). Null Modem Cable must be used, looks the same as a standard RS232 lead but it is wired differently.

2. Run the Kuro Unified Flash Loader (download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xynenwxvyjy )

2a (Optional step: Press the Upload button to save your channel set up favourites etc as they currently are) Save this to a folder on your PC for use later.

3. Click on the 'download' button at the top of the screen.

4. The program will say 'Version 2.10 detected' (or it may say some other version!) and restart your Eurovox, it will then go through the downloading process, when finished it
    will display 'Downloading is successful' .

5 . Press the Menu button on your remote, and then go into 'Config' menu and select 'Clear Data'

6. It will then ask for your PIN (default is 0000)

7.Then select 'Factory Default'

8. It will then ask you to select the symbol rate (I use 6.887 as I am on NThell Dublin).not sure if this matters at this stage though.

9. Press OK when 'Reset to Factory Default Settings' comes up

10. It will then say 'Wait to Factory Settings' and will then start to do a Full Power Scan (using the Symbol rate you selected earlier or you can change the symbol rate here)

11. It will then search through for channels, Go and make a cup of tea while it works away, do not interrupt it until it finishes.

12. It wil then exit to allow you to view your programs, but the code being updated message will probably come up for a while,

13. Put the box onto Sky Sports and go make another cup of tea. It may only take a few mins but again do not interrupt it (even if you think it is not working!)

14. Sky Sports will come up and all your channels will be back and you won't have to manually enter your codes anymore.

15. If you did the optional step at 2a, then browse to where you saved your file (CDF file) and click download in the lower box on the Kuro program, and it will reload your favourites etc. as
    you originally had them.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. pauliewcc

pauliewcc Member

Hey,
    just wondering will this work for the eurovox iv???

3. HiTeck

HiTeck Regular member

Excellent step by step SG8, May I add this to assist members.

These are the cables/Hardware needed along with the firmware.
    If yours is the Max V download the firmware above as in SG8s post.

Red Box Max Firmware Here 21/04/08
    Blue Box Max Firmware Here 21/04/08

These are the cables you will need to flash your box with the new Firmware,

If you have a computer or a laptop with a 9 pin serial com Male socket all you will need is this,

Female to Female Serial Null Modem Cable which looks like this,

[​IMG]
    Or this,

[​IMG]

Make sure you do not buy just a Serial RS232 9-Pin Female to Female cable, they seems to be quite a few people buying these from mapl*ns, and they look exactly the same,

M@plins order numbers are,

L71BT Correct order code,
    L68BT <-- This cable will not work!

Of course these cables can be bought allot cheaper from fleabay but this is for example.

If you have a computer or laptop without a 9 pin serial socket you will still need the Female to Female Serial Null Modem Cable as above and this USB to Serial DB9 Adaptor to make it fit into your USB port which looks like this.

[​IMG]You will need to install the Driver that came along with the USB adaptor above, If you dont have the Driver you can download it HERE. I would also advise that if you have a PC with Windows Vista to get to a PC with XP installed rather than trying to get the USB adaptor to work, there has been no end of problems regarding this all across the Forum.

If you have a pc and you are struggling with the usb adapter as above you could add a PCI serial card which is easily added to you PC and with this all you need is the null modem cable which gives you a direct link from your box to the pc.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  4. marto400

marto400 Member

hi guys does this work on starview boxes? or do i need another type of software?

5. SG8

SG8 Active member

No, different box, different software.

6. TRFC

TRFC Member

Great post SG8, thanks a million. Just one question, at step 11 however it found none no channells and when i went in to do a manual search it said no transponder to scan. Has anyone else had this problem?

7. trishg

trishg Member

Great step by step guide I'm still having a problem reflash my eurovox with my laptop, useing USB serial converter and a serial null modem 9 pin female, but getting "no com available" cables are both new have rebooted both and retryed still no joy any help would be great,

8. HiTeck

HiTeck Regular member

Try it in every usb port until something happends, Thats what I had to do.

9. malci

malci Guest

Congratulation SG8 and HiTeck, all in one place, How to and Leads required info. the number of times you get post's saying "not detected - sitting at % per cent, need I say anymore, ramble over - great stuff.

10. trishg

trishg Member

HiTeck, Thanks for your help tried all 3 ports but still no joy!!! codes been changed everday driveing me mad any other ideas??? Thanks

11. SG8

SG8 Active member

Thanks for that, are you sure you have the correct symbol rate 6.887 or 6.952 ?

12. kwackgt

kwackgt Member

I got the software, i bought a null modem from maplins, I have a pc running on XP but i cant update my box
    I run the software and i cant upload or download my curent settings as i have to select a folder or driver that doesnt exist. The firmware wont update as it cant find the Eurovox.
    Any ideas!?

13. SG8

SG8 Active member

I would advise you to try and get access to an old PC that has a serial port, one as old as my own PC!!

14. SG8

SG8 Active member

If it can't detect the Eurovox, you are not likely to be able to upload or download from it. Is it ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY a Null Modem cable that you have ?

15. kwackgt

kwackgt Member

I bought a cable from maplins UK serial lead RS232 order code L68bt apparantly a NULL modem cable.
    My computer is a Emachines 770. 2.4gb...
    Only com1 works, may have a check in th ebios to make sure the com ports are all enabled.

Should i be seeing a folder or network place for the eurovox when conected?
    I downloaded the latest update and when it runs i have Downlload at th etop , and then below the brouse button i have upload and own load- whihc when i click on allows me to search hard drives,floopies and cd's.. but i cant find a port for the box lol...
    I thought it was gona be simple enough for me to do lol!.

16. keith72

keith72 Member

Great thread. Can you just clarify a few things for me? During flash do we leave box in standby mode and disconnect N*L cable? If I create a .cdf file will I have to do a powerscan after to locate channels etc? Will USB=> 9-pin adapter work as my laptop only has USB ports? Sorry but I don't want to fry my box installing latest firmware. Finally will this update cure the code issue & enable box to autoroll? Any reply greatly received. Cheers...

17. karljd

karljd Regular member

nice job lads i'm being lazy do yous'e mind if i use it?

18. kwackgt

kwackgt Member

Argh!- give up Ive punched in the latest codes. I know that i can not access a port my computer doesnt see as a drive,file etc.

I can set up a nun modem on com1, but afer that no diffrence neither the update or any other versions will allow me to download my channel listing off the box, or upload the latst firmware.

I dont want to irritate people with what is probably piss-easy to expierenced eurovox owners so i will carry on punching in codes manually until is doesnt work and the sling it in the loft lol!

19. SG8

SG8 Active member

To update the software on the box, just click the top DOWNLOAD button, this will update the software to the box.

The bottom section is for uploading and downloading your favourites lists etc.

20. SG8

SG8 Active member

That is a lot of questions in a short reply!
    1. Box can be in standby mode or not whichever you prefer, seems to work either way.
    2. You 'create' a CDF file by clicking on the 'browse' button and seliecting a file name, the click upload to take the Channel Data from your box to your PC (Click download to put it back onto your box if need be.
    3. Problems appear to occur more frequently with USB-Serial adaptors being used, but they do work (just not for everyone!)
    4. The software fixes the code being updated issue and autorolls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.