1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC hardware sales and good deals (RETAIL or ONLINE sales NOT personal sales) ....

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by greensman, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Now that's alot for 25 Discs
    http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-b...t-printable-datalifeplus-96870---p-35540.aspx

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I average between 1.25 to 2.00USD$ for Verbatim Bd-R single layer discs. I won't be touching a double layer BD for quite some time. They can keep dreaming about the 11$ each for those discs. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Now 3 - 4$, I'd think about. Bd's aren't that expensive. I Archive data for some people. They pay 5$ per disc. It's worth it ;) I've been thinking however about bumping up the price. To be sure I can afford another burner when it comes time.

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Did a little math and it seems that 1.25US for BD-R's is .005/GB cheaper than an average HDD lol.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

who would use such a scabby brand for BluRay discs though, really?

Verbatim ones are $190 for 50, so $3.50 per 25GB. With hard disks 80x the size and 28x the price, that's unremarkable really.

5. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I don't know a thing about BD costs so I just used oman's lowest number. Per GB BD discs are still less than I expected, although I don't see myself ever buying one.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I most certainly would never use a "Scabby" brand LOL! Verbatim or TY all the way ;) The lowest I've seen for verbatim is currently 1.25USD. A very agreeable rate for something that has been tested for longevity, and shows promise :)

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah they're down to £59.96 in the UK ($81.04 before tax) as well. Very tempting, I need some more backup drives :p

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm keeping an eye on the price of them, some could end up in my server soon, depending on how my need for storage goes over the next few months. I suspect I'm liable to need to put my 4x3.5->3x5.25" conversion bay back in, which is fine, but once the drive count exceeds nine it really starts getting heavy, and as a system that travels to LANs, that's not a good thing!

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

whats the UK pricing for them sam?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A pound is a dollar at the moment, sadly, so not good. They should eventually drop down to the £110 mark, but with 2TB drives reliably below £60, they'd still be a bit pricey, right now they're almost prohibitively expensive.

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i guess 4TB drives have to start hittinh home first, to drop the price on these.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pretty much, you will always pay over the odds to get the largest drive type. 750s made 500s cheap, 1TBs made 750s cheap, 1.5TBs made 1TBs cheap, and so on.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's very impressive Russ! I definitely like their BlacX model I have. I'll have to keep such a case in mind for a secondary down the road ;)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

That's why I included the link from Thermaltake, so you could see how it works. bottom PSU, and handles the longest video cards. Looks pretty cool too!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's the free shipping that makes that deal. $50 for a case of the features/quality that Thermaltake produce like that isn't especially amazing, but most of the rivals to the V9 don't have free shipping, or at least they didn't when I last looked. The inbuilt hotswap dock is a nice idea assuming it works. Personally though, I think a 2.5" internal bay might have been more useful than a 2.5" external hotswap dock! If I had an SSD I would be sticking it in a wiring loop inside the case like I do now, not leaving it exposed to the outside all the time. There are a few complaints about the plastic tool-less PCIe covers, which I can understand, as I've broken one of those off before. Once you know how they work you can usually lock/unlock them without breaking them, but they're so flimsy they will snap in half with less force than you might consider 'they're a bit stiff'. That of course is experience from coolermaster cases as I haven't built/upgraded a thermaltake for ages, but as far as I can tell they're quite similar.

I couldn't help but laugh at how they wired the USB3 front connector. Clearly thermaltake never saw the internal USB3 header coming...

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

The docks can take either a 3.5" or the 2.5" Sata drives. If you look at the pictures from Thermaltake's site, they show a 2.5" in the front bay and a 3.5" in the rear. both bays are identical. Very useful in my opinion.

Best Regards,
    Russ

I thought the same thing when I saw the blue wire. LOL!!

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Again though, I would take an internal adapter bay for 2.5" drives over the 2.5" external. The 3.5 is useful of course.